North Carolina

One time me and my stepdad went Hiking in the Sandia Mountains in Albuquerque NM, and we got off trail and got lost (it was a nightmare) I'll never forget it. But it was nothing near the mountains of North Carolina I can't imagine the challenge of the hike you took on WOW !

Hiking along a river its not possible to get really lost, but on that particular occasion there were downed trees that blocked the trail and previous hikers had worn paths around them giving us several choices back to the main trail. Also on switchbacks the hairpins are not readily recognizable. This area is a designated Wilderness and is very steep with very large trees and heavy undergrowth due to its location in the Blue Ridge, which is technically a temperate rain forest. It took about 3 times longer to hike the route so it was difficult to keep track of our progress on the map.

Its easy to see how Eric Rudolph kept himself hidden for so long. In fact as long as he chose to.

Last edited:
You know, when one flies over the EAST COAST one is reminded that we live in a one hell of big rainforest.

From Georgia to Maine the Appalachian Mountains range wild and free.

For those of you in the LEFT coast who imagine that we Easterners are all citified and urbanized, do bear in mind that:

The Adirondack Park is a publicly-protected area located in northeast New York.

It is the largest park in the contiguous United States, the largest National Historic Landmark, and the largest area protected by any U.S. state.

The park covers some 6.1 million acres (24,700 km²), a land area about the size of Vermont, or of the Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Glacier, and Great Smoky Mountains National Parks combined.

source

Nice pictures. I like NC. My grandparents on my father's side, and later in life, my now deceased parents lived in and around Rocky Mount. Just about all of my family down there now has died off except for a brother and a few cousins. I was pretty much raised around the Nags Head area because of the fishing and also used to camp and fish in Coinjock and Spot alot. Loved the bass fishing and catching the trout and blues on the Carolina coast. There's lots of great things about NC. Sure would love a plate full of that Carolina style pork bar-b-que right now! Thanks for sharing the photos. I also take a lot of photos. I have a Nikon D1, a Nikon D50 and a Nikon D300. They all take wonderful photos.

Nice pictures. I like NC. My grandparents on my father's side, and later in life, my now deceased parents lived in and around Rocky Mount. Just about all of my family down there now has died off except for a brother and a few cousins. I was pretty much raised around the Nags Head area because of the fishing and also used to camp and fish in Coinjock and Spot alot. Loved the bass fishing and catching the trout and blues on the Carolina coast. There's lots of great things about NC. Sure would love a plate full of that Carolina style pork bar-b-que right now! Thanks for sharing the photos. I also take a lot of photos. I have a Nikon D1, a Nikon D50 and a Nikon D300. They all take wonderful photos.

Hey Big Black Dog, the next in your progression of cameras should be the D3x...... 25 megapixels and only 8 grand for the body.:eek:

Nice shots Nemo, you do know that you won't be able to shoot with anything else now that you have used a Nikon, right? I have used their cameras for 30 years and nothing feels as logical or solid in my hands. I just picked up a D300 myself, very complex machine, I have enjoyed it very much. The shots in this photography thread under my name were taken with that and a D70. My avatar was shot with my first digital camera, an Olympus E-10.

Last edited:
sitarro - I'd love a Dx3 or better yet, the new Dx3s but my wife says I better not even mention the word "camera" in the same sentence that contains the words: I want or Wouldn't it be nice to have a... I love my D300. It's the nicest camera I've ever owned but way back when I really liked my old film camera which was a Nikon 4004. That camera took great pictures. I have lots of wants when it comes to camera gear but my CFO "wife" keeps us on track with the budget... Toys. Don't you just love 'em?

Forum List

Back