North Carolina approves amendment banning gay marriage

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
orth Carolina voters approved a constitutional amendment on Tuesday defining marriage solely as a union between a man and a woman, making it the 30th state to adopt such a ban.
With 35 percent of precincts reporting Tuesday, unofficial returns showed the amendment passing with about 58 percent of the vote to 42 percent against.
In the final days before the vote, members of President Barack Obama's cabinet expressed support for gay marriage and former President Bill Clinton recorded phone messages urging voters to reject the amendment. Opponents also held marches, ran TV ads and gave speeches, including one by Jay Bakker, son of televangelists Jim Bakker and the late Tammy Faye Bakker.

Read more: North Carolina approves amendment banning gay marriage | Fox News

Is evolver in chief too late?

Looks like the gays will be packing it in.

th_ROTFL.gif

I kill myself!

There are several things that can be taken from this:

1. The belief by the left that the "old timers" who are anti-gay marriage are dying out, is false.

2. The "conservatives" in NC don't understand "rule of law" vs "rule of man". This is not how the founding fathers envisioned this republic.

orth Carolina voters approved a constitutional amendment on Tuesday defining marriage solely as a union between a man and a woman, making it the 30th state to adopt such a ban.
With 35 percent of precincts reporting Tuesday, unofficial returns showed the amendment passing with about 58 percent of the vote to 42 percent against.
In the final days before the vote, members of President Barack Obama's cabinet expressed support for gay marriage and former President Bill Clinton recorded phone messages urging voters to reject the amendment. Opponents also held marches, ran TV ads and gave speeches, including one by Jay Bakker, son of televangelists Jim Bakker and the late Tammy Faye Bakker.

Yeah! One more example of the New Right suppressing the Freedom and Liberties of a minority of our citizens. Ya gotta love those North Carolinians, real Americans (the last sentence [you do know what a sentence is, don't you Willow Tree?] is sarcasm (you can look up sarcasm at dictionary.com).

Yeah! One more example of the New Right suppressing the Freedom and Liberties of a minority of our citizens. Ya gotta love those North Carolinians, real Americans (the last sentence [you do know what a sentence is, don't you Willow Tree?] is sarcasm (you can look up sarcasm at dictionary.com).

Nobody's freedom or liberty was suppressed here.

personally, I'm not opposed to gay marriage. Essentially, I could care less if two people of the same sex want to live together, marry, whatever. None of my business.

I think one thing you can take from this however, is that NC just inched closer to going from undecided/toss up, to RED.

More proof that much of our country would rather regress than make progress. This is why we are becoming the laughing stock of the planet. Bravo!

LOL, great point! So well researched and your reasoning is so ... unreasonable.

Obama needs to stick his finger into the political wind on this one. I love how his admin sent Biden out to take the first arrows.

The problems for Obama are manifest across nearly his entire electoral map this year. According to the pro gay-marriage Human Rights Campaign, an array of battleground states have similar bans, including Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Ohio, Virginia, and Wisconsin. If Obama were to embrace same-sex marriage, he’d be on the wrong side of majorities in those states. He’d also risk creating the perception that he is trampling over the decisions of state residents to determine what they consider the right course of action for themselves.

link

personally, I'm not opposed to gay marriage. Essentially, I could care less if two people of the same sex want to live together, marry, whatever. None of my business.

I think one thing you can take from this however, is that NC just inched closer to going from undecided/toss up, to RED.

Maybe.

President Obama 2.4

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - North Carolina: Romney vs. Obama

I tend to look at a number of sites with electoral maps, and try to average them all together.

Here's on that is usually pretty accurate.
2012 Presidential Election Interactive Map and History of the Electoral College

When people are denied legal benefits for capricious reasoning then yes freedom is suppressed.

Why can't same sex couples enter into the same legal agreements as hetero couples and be given the same legal rights and benefits?

If you were told that blue eyed people were not allowed legal representation in court cases would you not call that a suppression of freedom?

If left handed people were excluded from public schools would you not say their rights were violated?

Last edited:
And yet still not ONE valid reason why homosexuals should not be able to marry. Not one. Shame on all of you.

Yea, except for gays.

I thought conservatives want less rules, and less government involvement in their day to day lives. Instead I suppose they prefer rigid manifestos that outline how we all "must" live.

Dumb Big Gov't fucks; thanks for further removing the right to individual choice.

Authoritarian Republicans are the new "left".

This is why obama won't say that he supports same sex marriage. Not one state has approved same sex marriage by vote. Not one. Good for the people of North Carolina in making their voices heard.

Forum List

Back