"Norma Rae" dies...insurance wouldn't pay for her medication

Which I'd lose at the end of the year if not spent.
not if you dont take out more than you need

The way it is set up by my employer is that I lose anything I haven't spent by the end of the year. So fuck that.
you know you can buy bandaids and aspirin with it, right?
at the end of the year find out how much you have left and stock up
you can buy a lot of over the counter things with it

and YOU set the amount you wish to have deposited into it
not your employer

The way it is set up by my employer is that I lose anything I haven't spent by the end of the year. So fuck that.

not your employer

I know that. I'm not going to take a chance on losing it at the end of the year, and I'm not going to spend it on stupid shit I don't need just so I don't lose it either.

not your employer

I know that. I'm not going to take a chance on losing it at the end of the year, and I'm not going to spend it on stupid shit I don't need just so I don't lose it either.
you never need bandaid, aspirin(most adults should take a daily 81 mg), antacids, whatever?

not your employer

you never need bandaid, aspirin(most adults should take a daily 81 mg), antacids, whatever?

Can't remember the last time I used a bandaid or took an OTC med besides some Excedrin---and that's rare. I have a box of bandaids in the cabinet I've probably had a year or more. And I hate to take pills. It's killing me that I have to take these for my diabetes. Except I keep forgetting to take the lisinopril, which is kinda weird since the reason I don't take OTC stuff is because of my kidney and this was prescribed to protect it. But I refill it on time so they don't realize I'm behind, so I have a couple of extra bottles here LOL.

I honestly hardly ever have the need for any OTC medical stuff or meds.

Can't remember the last time I used a bandaid or took an OTC med besides some Excedrin---and that's rare. I have a box of bandaids in the cabinet I've probably had a year or more. And I hate to take pills. It's killing me that I have to take these for my diabetes. Except I keep forgetting to take the lisinopril, which is kinda weird since the reason I don't take OTC stuff is because of my kidney and this was prescribed to protect it. But I refill it on time so they don't realize I'm behind, so I have a couple of extra bottles here LOL.

then have less taken out for it
figure out your copays that you know you will use and then get that amount, it says you money

figure out your copays that you know you will use and then get that amount, it says you money

$60.00

Not worth the hassle.

$60.00

Not worth the hassle.
for the whole year?
damn, you got some good insurance then

dont you have any dental expenses?

$60.00

Not worth the hassle.
for the whole year?
damn, you got some good insurance then

dont you have any dental expenses?

My copay is $15 a visit for my primary; that's assuming he still wants me in every 3 months... forever :evil: (he wasn't too clear on that when I asked). My dental pays 100% for visits every 6 months.

Oh. I forgot to add my prescription copays. (because I can't remember to take my damned pills!!!!)

That runs about $20 to $30, I think (I don't buy strips every month; I get 100 at a time, a 3 month supply). So that would be roughly $300 a year total? The tax savings would be miniscule, and not worth the hassle still.

I guess my insurance is ok; I hardly ever use it lol.

Last edited:

not your employer

This is the way the government does stuff. They spend money on crap they don't need so they can ask for more next year and say : "Look!! I spent it!!" This is why a lot of good people are not in government. My grandfather resigned from being a General in the Pentagon because of this type of practice. He told them to stuff it.

But it shouldn't matter where you stash the money you earn that you eventually pay for health services, or how much [little] you spend, it shouldn't be taxable. I imagine this accounts for much of the waste we see, people trying to get to a certain point in order to avoid taxes.

not your employer

This is the way the government does stuff. They spend money on crap they don't need so they can ask for more next year and say : "Look!! I spent it!!" This is why a lot of good people are not in government. My grandfather resigned from being a General in the Pentagon because of this type of practice. He told them to stuff it.

But it shouldn't matter where you stash the money you earn that you eventually pay for health services, or how much [little] you spend, it shouldn't be taxable. I imagine this accounts for much of the waste we see, people trying to get to a certain point in order to avoid taxes.
the difference in this, its YOUR money
but because you can only use it for MEDICAL related expenses, it comes out of your pay PRE tax

and i do think that you SHOULD be able to carry some of it over year to year, if not all

It may come out of your pay pre-tax, but there are a lot of people that don't have a j-o-b. That is not to say they don't work, but they do their own thing. It shouldn't matter where the money is before it gets spent, if it is spent on healthcare, it should not be taxed. If the refrigerator dies, then the money can be spent on a new fridge, and I will be taxed, twice.......income and sales. The HSA is a convoluted BS way of dealing with a tax issue. It should be stopped.

It may come out of your pay pre-tax, but there are a lot of people that don't have a j-o-b. That is not to say they don't work, but they do their own thing. It shouldn't matter where the money is before it gets spent, if it is spent on healthcare, it should not be taxed. If the refrigerator dies, then the money can be spent on a new fridge, and I will be taxed, twice.......income and sales. The HSA is a convoluted BS way of dealing with a tax issue. It should be stopped.
lol
it was a simple system that just needs some adjustments, like being able to carry over year to year
otherwise it was a great system

Then get rid of those in charge of taxing medical ... :eusa_whistle:

Health insurance corporations are like all other corporations, they're sociopathic.
You'd think that things like disasters, or the purity of childhood, or even milk, let alone water or air, would be sacred. But no. Corporations have no built-in limits on what, who, or how much they can exploit for profit. In the fifteenth century, the enclosure movement began to put fences around public grazing lands so that they might be privately owned and exploited. Today, every molecule on the planet is up for grabs. In a bid to own it all, corporations are patenting animals, plants, even your DNA. Around things too precious, vulnerable, sacred or important to the public interest, governments have, in the past, drawn protective boundaries against corporate exploitation. Today, governments are inviting corporations into domains from which they were previously barred.

You can view the film on YouTube but it's lengthy.

The Corporation

So, why be surprised if corporations deny care because it may affect their profits?
Sociopaths don't give a damn about anyone except themselves.

And for those who will ask about government paying for health care - one of the differences is that you can change a government if it behaves like a corporation.

To some insurance companies, being pregnant is a choice and therefore not covered.

So to is having a c-section...it's considered a pre-existing condition.

To some insurance companies, being pregnant is a choice and therefore not covered.

um, what insurance companies dont have coverage for pregnancy?

Being denied health insurance coverage for maternity care.

We found that health insurance purchased on the individual market hardly ever extends to pregnancy. A few policies offer the opportunity to buy additional coverage—known as a “rider”—to tack a maternity benefit onto your plan. It’s almost always only available in anticipation; if you try to buy the rider once you’re already pregnant, the fetus becomes a “pre-existing condition.”

Last fall, the National Women’s Law Center issued a report detailing exactly how women who want to bear children are derailed when searching for out-of-pocket health care. Only 14 states require maternity coverage to be included in insurance sold on the individual market, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. In contrast, the Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978 requires employers with more than 15 employees to include maternity benefits in their health insurance packages. “We looked at 3,500 individual insurance policies and only 12 percent included comprehensive maternity coverage,” said Lisa Codispoti, Senior Advisor at the National Women’s Law Center. Another 20 percent offered a rider that was astronomically expensive or skimpy or both. One charged $1,100 a month; others required a two-year waiting period.

While searching for a private policy for my daughter (whose employer does not offer health insurance), I found the above to be true. NONE of the policies I looked at offered maternity coverage; some offered it as a very expensive rider that would have jacked her premiums up through the roof.

National Women's Law Center: Nowhere to Turn

Maternity Care - Kaiser State Health Facts

Last edited:

Being denied health insurance coverage for maternity care.

We found that health insurance purchased on the individual market hardly ever extends to pregnancy. A few policies offer the opportunity to buy additional coverage—known as a “rider”—to tack a maternity benefit onto your plan. It’s almost always only available in anticipation; if you try to buy the rider once you’re already pregnant, the fetus becomes a “pre-existing condition.”

Last fall, the National Women’s Law Center issued a report detailing exactly how women who want to bear children are derailed when searching for out-of-pocket health care. Only 14 states require maternity coverage to be included in insurance sold on the individual market, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. In contrast, the Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978 requires employers with more than 15 employees to include maternity benefits in their health insurance packages. “We looked at 3,500 individual insurance policies and only 12 percent included comprehensive maternity coverage,” said Lisa Codispoti, Senior Advisor at the National Women’s Law Center. Another 20 percent offered a rider that was astronomically expensive or skimpy or both. One charged $1,100 a month; others required a two-year waiting period.
While searching for a private policy for my daughter (whose employer does not offer health insurance), I found the above to be true. NONE of the policies I looked at offered maternity coverage; some offered it as a very expensive rider that would have jacked her premiums up through the roof.

National Women's Law Center: Nowhere to Turn

Maternity Care - Kaiser State Health Facts
what woman would ever buy that coverage?
unless she never planed on getting pregnant

what woman would ever buy that coverage?
unless she never planed on getting pregnant

Key word, planned.

I just made a whole thread a little while ago about the discovery of companies not covering due to C-Section Pregnancies and Pregnancies in general. To be honest, I couldn't imagine how I'd feel if I were a woman and tried to get insurance with some of these companies.

Woman: What's that? You mean because I was beaten up by my husband for seven years before I could finally leave him, I can't get insurance or at least at a affordable rate?

Company: Nope, sorry.

Woman: Hell, I'm better off dead if that's the way things are. An outcast because of actions that I didn't even commit? What kind of country is this?

Company: Lady, we pay millions of dollars a year to politicians, so don't act like you're the only one suffering due to this economy either. I mean, we can't even bribe as many as we use to be able to!

Let's cut to the chase, death is a pre-existing condtion.

So the only real way to make life longer for more Americans is to spread the risk to everyone, because everyone is at risk.

Any honest actuary would tell you this if it would not cost them their job.

Forum List

Back