Noonan: The Democrats' Soft Extremism

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Sums it up rather nicely

Obama is out of ideas, and Clinton's speech was unworthy of him.

SNIP:
Barack Obama is deeply overexposed and often boring. He never seems to be saying what he's thinking. His speech Thursday was weirdly anticlimactic. There's too much buildup, the crowd was tired, it all felt flat. He was somber, and his message was essentially banal: We've done better than you think. Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?

There were many straw men. There were phrases like "the shadow of a shuttered steel mill," which he considers writerly. But they sound empty and practiced now, like something you've heard in a commercial or an advertising campaign.

It was stale and empty. He's out of juice.

His daughters have grown beautiful.

As for Joe Biden, I love him and will hear nothing against him. He's like Democrats the way they used to be, and by that I do not mean idiotic, I mean normal—manipulative only to a normal degree, roughly aware of the facts of normal life, alert to and even respecting of such normal things as religious faith. I wish he did not insist on referring to his wife as "Dr. Jill Biden." I'm sure she has many doctorates, but so do half the unemployed in Manhattan.

John Kerry was on fire. It was the best speech of his career. He drew blood on foreign policy: "Talk about being for it before you were against it!" Obama will take that message, on Afghanistan, into debate.

Was it a good convention?

Beneath the funny hats, the sweet-faced delegates, the handsome speakers and the babies waving flags there was something disquieting. All three days were marked by a kind of soft, distracted extremism. It was unshowy and unobnoxious but also unsettling.

There was the relentless emphasis on Government as Community, as the thing that gives us spirit and makes us whole. But government isn't what you love if you're American, America is what you love. Government is what you have, need and hire. Its most essential duties—especially when it is bankrupt—involve defending rights and safety, not imposing views and values. We already have values. Democrats and Republicans don't see all this the same way, and that's fine—that's what national politics is, the working out of this dispute in one direction or another every few years. But the Democrats convened in Charlotte seemed more extreme on the point, more accepting of the idea of government as the center of national life, than ever, at least to me.

The fight over including a single mention of God in the platform—that was extreme. The original removal of the single mention by the platform committee—extreme. The huge "No!" vote on restoring the mention of God, and including the administration's own stand on Jerusalem—that wasn't liberal, it was extreme. Comparing the Republicans to Nazis—extreme. The almost complete absence of a call to help education by facing down the powers that throw our least defended children under the school bus—this was extreme, not mainstream.

The sheer strangeness of all the talk about abortion, abortion, contraception, contraception. I am old enough to know a wedge issue when I see one, but I've never seen a great party build its entire public persona around one. Big speeches from the heads of Planned Parenthood and NARAL, HHS Secretary and abortion enthusiast Kathleen Sebelius and, of course, Sandra Fluke.

"Republicans shut me out of a hearing on contraception," Ms. Fluke said. But why would anyone have included a Georgetown law student who never worked her way onto the national stage until she was plucked, by the left, as a personable victim?

read it all here
The Democrats' Soft Extremism - WSJ.com

DNC convention kicked the GOP conventions ass

oooooooooooooo, foaming at the mouth

more like dying from laughter it was all so pathetic

you can tell because the rightwingnuts are foaming at the mouth ...

even more than usual

Dems must have done something right. No bounce Ryan/Romney effed their shot up.

they preferred to waste their opportunity to make a case by talking to empty chairs.

but then again, they really don't have a case. what should they say, "vote for us, we'll bring you back to those good ole bush years?"

:dunno:

they are so out of ideas and Obama has been a total failure at being President they have to go back with it will be.................. Booooooooooooooooooooooooosh again

Eastwood WAS RIGHT FOLKS

:lol:

they are so out of ideas and Obama has been a total failure at being President they have to go back with it will be.................. Booooooooooooooooooooooooosh again

Eastwood WAS RIGHT FOLKS

I can sum up the presidential debates:

1. Romney: Barack, you and your dem cronies actually caused the financial collapse by passing the Community Reinvestment Act giving mortgages to the unqualified, which caused the financial collapse when they defaulted. It was your lawsuits that actually caused the financial collapse whining about "redlining". Who benefited from the CRA? Look who got the most money from Fannie & Freddie? You and the dems, so stop whining about Booooooosh.

2. Mitt, you may know how to run an Olympics, but you don't know simple arithmetic. Your proposed budget grows the Debt and ensures that the social safety net disappears. As for the financial collapse, who was driving the bus for those 8-years? Yeah, it was Boooosh, so stop whining.

Its a coin toss.

Last edited:
you can tell because the rightwingnuts are foaming at the mouth ...

even more than usual

Dems must have done something right. No bounce Ryan/Romney effed their shot up.

they preferred to waste their opportunity to make a case by talking to empty chairs.

but then again, they really don't have a case. what should they say, "vote for us, we'll bring you back to those good ole bush years?"

:dunno:

Uh huh, bring back the Bush years, we'll get that depression yet.

Eastwood WAS RIGHT FOLKS

Eastwood is a laughing stock. Too bad, he used to be known as a great actor, now he is perceived as just senile.

DNC convention kicked God's, Israel's and America's ass.

Well done!

That's a faux talking point , the real issue is mitt romney not saying shit about

the military & then saying the millitary were not high on his lists. But his

pampered ass is willing to send our kids in harms way , where are all the

patriots now ?

Mitt Romney | ThinkProgress

SECURITY
Romney On Omitting U.S. Troops From RNC Speech: ‘You Talk About Things You Think Are Important’
By Ben Armbruster on Sep 7, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Romney giving his speech to the Republican National Convention
In an interview with Fox News this afternoon, Mitt Romney shot back at critics who complained that he didn’t mention Afghanistan or praise U.S. troops in his convention speech last week, arguing that he focused on issues that are “important.”
Fox News’s Brett Baier told Romney that “several speakers” at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte this week criticized the GOP presidential nominee for the omissions (actually it was right-wing foreign policy leader Bill Kristol who started the attacks) and asked him if he had any regrets. “I only regret you’re repeating it day in and day out,” Romney said, adding that his speech focused on things that are important:
BAIER: To hear several speakers in Charlotte … they were essentially saying that you don’t care about the U.S. military because you didn’t mention U.S. troops and the war in Afghanistan in your nomination acceptance speech. … Do you regret opening up this line of attack, now a recurring attack, by leaving out that issue in the speech.
ROMNEY: I only regret you’re repeating it day in and day out. When you give a speech you don’t go through a laundry list, you talk about the things that you think are important and I described in my speech, my commitment to a strong military unlike the president’s decision to cut our military. And I didn’t use the word troops, I used the word military. I think they refer to the same thing.
Watch the clip:

The war in Afghanistan and the sacrifices made by U.S. troops weren’t important enough for Romney to talk about them in his speech? His speech did mention the military, but only to say that he wants to “preserve” a strong military (incidentally so does Obama). But Kristol’s criticism was not that Romney didn’t mention the military but that he did not pay tribute to U.S. troops who fought or are fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.
But what is Romney’s “commitment to a strong military”? He plans to increase military spending by $2.1 trillion over the next ten years (which the military does not need) without offering a plan to pay for it. That doesn’t sound too much like a strong commitment to the economy.

Eastwood WAS RIGHT FOLKS

Eastwood is a laughing stock. Too bad, he used to be known as a great actor, now he is perceived as just senile.
Jon Stewart: "fistful of awsome"
Jon Stewart Celebrates Clint Eastwood's 'Fistful Of Awesome' While Tearing Romney's Speech Apart (VIDEO)

It was something that you don't generally see at a GOP snooze fest. At 82 it was one hell of a gutsy performance. Poor taste, but hey, that's Hollywood.

Eastwood WAS RIGHT FOLKS

no he isn't, you liberals just don't like hearing the truth...Obama was and is a empty suit and should of never been elected President..If he really cared he wouldn't of RUN in the first place..so hopefully the people will right their wrong in November, time for some new hope and change..His is old, stale, and ugly

Eastwood WAS RIGHT FOLKS

no he isn't, you liberals just don't like hearing the truth...Obama was and is a empty suit and should of never been elected President..If he really cared he wouldn't of RUN in the first place..so hopefully the people will right their wrong in November, time for some new hope and change..His is old, stale, and ugly

yeah I laugh too that you all said Palin had no Experience yet you people elected a JUNIOR FRIGGEN Senator that had no experience in ANYTHING but community agitating..
like I said IF Obama actually cared he would of waited to run until he got some EXPERINCE under his belt..but he didn't care because he thought he was the ONE WE WERE WAITING FOR.....snort:lol:

now VOTE him OUT folks

Forum List

Back