Non-violence and Faith

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
Been reading alot of Ghandi lately. I really like the idea of Non-violence. and I even think there is power to it. Though honestly I have mixed feelings because I likewise enjoy martial arts and find the beauty and simplicity in it as well.

Have you guys studied the spiritual aspects of the non-violence movement and what do you think of it?

I think that's the point. Let yourself suffer rather than others so that people see your love for them through your self-suffering and their hearts are changed. That way instead of conquoring your opponents, you reconcile them to the truth, whatever that may be in that particular situation.

You also fail to factor in God with talking about non-violence. The scriptures do speak of God taking care of our battles for us. There are times when we are commanded to take up arms, but I think the Lord was teaching us a higher principle in the Sermon on the Mount. To turn the other cheek. To literally sacrifice ourselves for others.

I think that's part of why Christ's Atonement has power. He sacrificed Himself and suffered in a way to draw people to Him.

I'm still early in my studies. I don't think I've explored all the avenues yet. But I think there may be something to it I didn't see when I was younger.

I wish I was better read on this subject, in fact once I finish Dalkins The God Delusion. I may indeed read up on Ghandi. I think the voice of calm reason can in some cases avert the escalation of violence, but if one is set on violence then I don't know.

hey gunny, love the sig-quotes.

Been reading alot of Ghandi lately. I really like the idea of Non-violence. and I even think there is power to it. Though honestly I have mixed feelings because I likewise enjoy martial arts and find the beauty and simplicity in it as well.

Have you guys studied the spiritual aspects of the non-violence movement and what do you think of it?

LOL , Gandhi did it with the Brits , Tibet is doing it with china but China isn't Britain , they kill non-violence , you mite try it in the middle east .

I believe that Gandhi's views were the most enlightened of all the political men in our time. We should strive to do things in his spirit: not to use violence in fighting for our cause, but by non-participation in anything you believe is evil

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that's the point. Let yourself suffer rather than others so that people see your love for them through your self-suffering and their hearts are changed. That way instead of conquoring your opponents, you reconcile them to the truth, whatever that may be in that particular situation.

You also fail to factor in God with talking about non-violence. The scriptures do speak of God taking care of our battles for us. There are times when we are commanded to take up arms, but I think the Lord was teaching us a higher principle in the Sermon on the Mount. To turn the other cheek. To literally sacrifice ourselves for others.

I think that's part of why Christ's Atonement has power. He sacrificed Himself and suffered in a way to draw people to Him.

I'm still early in my studies. I don't think I've explored all the avenues yet. But I think there may be something to it I didn't see when I was younger.

Sacrificing yourself when an intruder comes into your home and tries to hurt or kill you and your loved ones will do no good. Once you are dead, your children have no one to protect them. This is where I believe we are to take up arms and not 'turn the other cheek'.

This is also a good example for learning Martial Arts. The main point in Martial Arts is for protection. Most Martial Artist try to avoid violence to begin with, same as most who own and carry firearms.

Granted, non-violence is good on a political standpoint. This is one way Blacks got their rights. So yes, it does work in some cases. However, you have to figure out when to use it and when it will do no good.

Forum List

Back