Non-union, salaried workers shafted in U.S. deal with GM

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by WillowTree, Sep 25, 2009.

1. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,669
    After reading your article on Ron Bloom and his great accomplishment of saving GM and Chrysler from bankruptcy (“Manufacturing czar likely to have more sway,” Sept. 8), I think the American people should know the whole story. Mr. Bloom, the new manufacturing czar and head of the auto recovery task force, Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and President Barack Obama do not want the American people to understand the unfair and unequal treatment of salaried autoworkers.

The Delphi Corp. workers who worked for decades for GM have been segregated — some represented (union workers) and some non-represented (salaried worker-engineers, accountants and clerks). The task force and Treasury decided that the union workers’ healthcare and pensions would be saved, but not the salaried workers’.

Non-union, salaried workers shafted in U.S. deal with GM - TheHill.com

2. WillowTree

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,669
    so I guess it's pretty clear, if you are not union this administration really doesn't give a shit if you live or die huh?

3. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,638
    Actually, it's pretty clear that if you don't unionize to protect yourself from management, you're screwed.

4. WillowTree

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,669
    management is us.. we the people, the us government.. we own gm and chrysler,, we are discriminatory.. huh?

5. WillowTree

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,669
    Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) stated Delphi salaried workers got a raw deal and asked the GM head to reverse the decision to exclude them from the pension deal and to treat them equitably. Rep. Chris Lee (R-N.Y.) has led an effort to get a bipartisan group of 46 congressional members to jointly request a hearing to understand this issue, and House Financial Services Committee Chairman Barney Frank (D-Mass.) agreed to hold a hearing. To date President Obama, Secretary Geithner, Mr. Bloom and GM CEO Fritz Henderson have not responded to any requests or objections regarding the unfair treatment of this non-represented class of worker.

New York

so this administration is just fine with discriminatory practice in regards to pensions and health care just another reason not to trust a word they say.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  6. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    White collar workers should organise, as bodecea has pointed out, they're pretty much screwed if they don't. If they're not organised then of course they're going to be taken advantage of. Or do you think altruism governs labour relations?

I would think that there are unions in the US that would be able to organise white collar workers. If not then there's a useful model I know about that they might want to have a look at.

APESMA - The Association of Professional Engineers, Scientists & Managers, Australia

I studied with some of the APESMA reps, I really like their model for representing salaried professionals.

7. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Great either join us and our organization or suffer the loss of what you rightfully earned. Typical crap from thugs.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. WillowTree

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,669
    that's basically what it amounts to, and they do it in the name of "we the people"

9. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    You want someone to benefit from something they haven't paid for?

10. PeterS

PeterS Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I am not sure I see the problem. Salaried workers chose to represent themselves and this is the consequence. It happens everyday in business and I have never seen a conservative shed a tear and you wouldn't today save for the fact you found something you could attach Obama's name to. If you really cared about workers getting shafted you should have spoken up long ago...