Non union labor reform

Oh lets all go out and work ourselves into a frenzy to help our employers...right? Go out and bust it every day. I worked for 31 years for a company. I worked hard. I gave up alot for them. Now they have gone under. My prayers were answered.

Point?

I'm anti-union but I work for a company that routinely bends us over and gives us the metophorical shaft. I'm tired of being exploited but they will continue to take advantage of the high unemployment rate knowing that they can do whatever they want while still maintaining a low turnover. We can't negotiate a raise, we only get two days off a month now, but even before i would only get four. Does anyone agree that their should be a law protecting employees from predatory employment practices that are little more then slavery, excpecially since my only other option would be to quit.

One good example of the reform is a ban on mandatory over-time. It would force companies to offer their own incentives for coming in after the original forty hour agreement, not just over-time pay(which I would PAY just to get a weekend off)

To answer your stupid questions

1. No I can't get another job.
2 I can't get another job because I'm lucky to have this one (or unlucky to have been tricked into it by free health care)
3. Missing days leads to getting fired and the days alotted are the equal to those who only ever work 40 hours a week. 10 points a year 40 hrs a week.= 10 points a year 48-56 hrs a week. Not fair.

After careful analysis of your post I'm confident in concluding: You're fucked.

I base my findings on the fact that you were "tricked" into your job by free health care. What was that Gump saying? Stupid is as...

The job is paid hourly I work in a canning facility, yes over-time is a given but what if i don't want the overtime? When taking an hourly job you know it's 40 hours a week, most places it's just 40 hours. The reason we are working 6 and 7 days a week is poor management, and the employees have no say in the matter.

I am a very hard worker and expect the best out of myself, but its hard when your always tired and you hate your job because you never get away from it.

Get another job.

Point is dont spend your life or time working for somebody that treats you poorly. There are plenty of good employers out there who care about their workers by providing good benefits. No benefits and poor working conditions = one very bad business

You're fucked. Republicans are taking away your worker rights every day. You know the only way to stop them.

What rights exactly?

I know Obama is trying to take away the right of South Carolinians to work for Boeing...by trying to use government force to dictate where Boeing can operate.

But lets talk about "workers rights". Do you believe a "worker" has the basic "right to work"? Just the pure, simple right to apply to, accept and perform a job? Does that right exist sir?

They have the right to free speech..and to seek redress from the government for their grievances. Just as their employers do. They have the right assemble peacefully and protest. Just as their employers do.:eusa_shhh:

The job is paid hourly I work in a canning facility, yes over-time is a given but what if i don't want the overtime? When taking an hourly job you know it's 40 hours a week, most places it's just 40 hours. The reason we are working 6 and 7 days a week is poor management, and the employees have no say in the matter.

I am a very hard worker and expect the best out of myself, but its hard when your always tired and you hate your job because you never get away from it.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erHffAR9np0&feature=related]YouTube - His Name is Andrew - David Ackles[/ame]

Forcing people to work more than 40 hours ought to be illegal.

Why does businessess often do that?

Because the cost of hiring and keeping an additional employee costs more than forcing existing workers to do the overtime.

As to what ric can do about it?

Not a damned thing without a union backing him.

His is a fairly good example of why unions are a necessary and good part of a modern industrialized society.

His example is an excellent exanmple of why corporate tools hate unions, too.

When you hire in you know the demands that are expected of you. If you do not want to work overtime, do not accept a job that demands it.

I'm anti-union but I work for a company that routinely bends us over and gives us the metophorical shaft. I'm tired of being exploited but they will continue to take advantage of the high unemployment rate knowing that they can do whatever they want while still maintaining a low turnover. We can't negotiate a raise, we only get two days off a month now, but even before i would only get four. Does anyone agree that their should be a law protecting employees from predatory employment practices that are little more then slavery, excpecially since my only other option would be to quit.

One good example of the reform is a ban on mandatory over-time. It would force companies to offer their own incentives for coming in after the original forty hour agreement, not just over-time pay(which I would PAY just to get a weekend off)

2 I can't get another job because I'm lucky to have this one (or unlucky to have been tricked into it by free health care)
3. Missing days leads to getting fired and the days alotted are the equal to those who only ever work 40 hours a week. 10 points a year 40 hrs a week.= 10 points a year 48-56 hrs a week. Not fair.

Free healthcare? When are you going to learn that nothing is free?

just be glad they don't lower your salary , take away overtime and make you work more then 40hours . you have a job now kiss your boss ass because you hate representatives .

And make sure to always vote republican because they have the workers best interests at heart.

A very hard worker who whines a lot. If you don't want the job, quit. I am certain if McDonald's can hire 50,000 burger flippers in a day, your employer will easily find someone to replace you.

I'm glad I'm retired , you beg for your job get on your knees and beg . woman can forget sexual harassment , you want the job or not ?

I say get kids off the street and repeal child labor laws .

That's the thing, why aren't there any labor laws protecting employees, all the laws on the book protect the employers even OSHA laws were designed to favor the employer more then the employee.

I understand you're "anti-union" but you should ask yourself just how much worse your job would be if the DOL and OSHA didn't have laws protecting workers rights. I'm referring to overtime for anything over 40 hours and basic working conditions. Things like minimum wage, age and gender discrimination, child labor, pension funding, whistle blower etc. Unions were instrumental in getting those things passed.

OSHA is designed to protect the workers. It governs safety in the workplace. Can you provide an example how OSHA favors the employer over the employee?

Yes, the economy does favor the employer right now. They can pretty much treat their workers as bad as they like (within the law) given the unemployment rate. I agree with others that if you can go back to school, do so.

Here is an example of OSHA law protecting the employer not the employee.

Rack of finishied goods sits at the top of a rack, All product is wrapped and secured to a pallet, if anyone has ever seen a rack in a warehouse they know they are not the most sturdy things in the world little more then scafolding, something gives and a pallet lands on somebody crushing them, the company is protected because the employee was wearing an OSHA approved hardhat, but the hardhat doesn't prevent the broken neck caused by the pallet landing directly on his head.

That's the thing, why aren't there any labor laws protecting employees, all the laws on the book protect the employers even OSHA laws were designed to favor the employer more then the employee.

I understand you're "anti-union" but you should ask yourself just how much worse your job would be if the DOL and OSHA didn't have laws protecting workers rights. I'm referring to overtime for anything over 40 hours and basic working conditions. Things like minimum wage, age and gender discrimination, child labor, pension funding, whistle blower etc. Unions were instrumental in getting those things passed.

OSHA is designed to protect the workers. It governs safety in the workplace. Can you provide an example how OSHA favors the employer over the employee?

Yes, the economy does favor the employer right now. They can pretty much treat their workers as bad as they like (within the law) given the unemployment rate. I agree with others that if you can go back to school, do so.

Rack of finishied goods sits at the top of a rack, All product is wrapped and secured to a pallet, if anyone has ever seen a rack in a warehouse they know they are not the most sturdy things in the world little more then scafolding, something gives and a pallet lands on somebody crushing them, the company is protected because the employee was wearing an OSHA approved hardhat, but the hardhat doesn't prevent the broken neck caused by the pallet landing directly on his head.

They call that "worker's compensation".

Yes, but also a citable offense under OSHA Law.

CFR 1910.176(b)

Secure storage. Storage of material shall not create a hazard. Bags, containers, bundles, etc., stored in tiers shall be stacked, blocked, interlocked and limited in height so that they are stable and secure against sliding or collapse.

As a Safety Professional I can attest that nearly everything that you can think of has a regulation attached to it.

why do employers have to pay out workers compensation ? you want a job ?

next teabaggers will get rid of snitches , troublemakers , rats , or as their called whistleblower, like the nurse in Jon Cochran hospital , no more .

The point isn't even the OSHA crap. And i have disability and life insurance, and like workers comp they do not make up for lack of limb or lack of pulse.

The point is, shouldn't there be more laws regarding rights of employees protecting them from even mildly excessive work hours, I don't work 6 days a week four hours a day, I am at work for 8 1/2 hours 6 and 7 days a week because the only law requires overtime pay. There aren't even laws requiring breaks, just law that require the employee be paid for breaks that are 20 minutes or less.

Forum List

Back