Non Smokers Hate Children

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
I've opined on sin taxes before but allow me to recap.

Sin taxes have always been used as a ham handed social engineering tool but their main purpose is obviously to part people from their money. There is an inherent flaw in earmarking sin taxes to specific government programs because there is always the possibility that the tax will decrease the activity being taxed.

Take the once great state of California, for example. Recently CA passed a draconian cigarette tax in order to fund government programs for children. The irony here is that the tax actually worked and people have quit smoking. CA has seen a 10% decrease in cigarette tax revenue which is endangering government programs.

Hacker Curve: Quitting Smoking Is Bad for The Children - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

This is a classic example of a reverse Laffer Curve. If you tax something out of existence, you will no longer receive tax revenue from it. Seems pretty simple.

So my advice to Californians.

Light up, it's for the kids.

It is sort of like funding math education with Lottery Dollars. The more successful, the less revenue.

In most areas out west, a smoker can find a 'smoke shop' at a nearby Indian Rez.
No tax, with a vast array of good smokes for $24 and change per carton, as opposed to cartons with the sin tax costing around $50-$55 plus dollars off the Rez.
The West, is the best.

I feel so sorry for smokers....

I hope you don't have to cut back your habit because of these awful laws

So you hate children?

Kids are suffering because the revenue to support government programs is decreasing due to the confiscatory sin taxes.

You are a heartless bastard.

So you hate children?

Kids are suffering because the revenue to support government programs is decreasing due to the confiscatory sin taxes.

You are a heartless bastard.

Whaddya' expect from a lib that lives in Jersey and hasn't left there since 'Hector was a pup'?
RW is sooooo worldly...........

Last edited:

Forum List

Back