Non-resident pension taxes

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
States are in a bind and since non-residents do not vote in state elections a tax on non-resident state pension payments is a no pain tax for states, counties and municipalities. So a few questions:

Are such taxes limited to government pensions or can it apply to private pensions as well?

How much revenue will this gain for the average state, county or mosquito embankment area?

I was just kicking this around on another board and it did sound like a great way to upset lots of people. I wonder how soon this will be tried.

States are in a bind and since non-residents do not vote in state elections a tax on non-resident state pension payments is a no pain tax for states, counties and municipalities. So a few questions:

Are such taxes limited to government pensions or can it apply to private pensions as well?

How much revenue will this gain for the average state, county or mosquito embankment area?

I was just kicking this around on another board and it did sound like a great way to upset lots of people. I wonder how soon this will be tried.

Arkansas has been taxing Pensions from any source ever since I can remember.

See lines 18A & 18B

Arkansas has been taxing Pensions from any source ever since I can remember.

See lines 18A & 18B

But how heavily do they tax people with AR pensions and out of state residence.

Step one in avoiding this nonsense is to be smart or lucky enough to live in a state that has no state income tax. There are still 3 or 4 that don't.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back