NON POLITICAL rant thread

Grace

Rookie
Jan 29, 2011
Why the hell do they make tv's long and skinny so everyone looks short and fat??? Skinny and thin tv's are great...beats those huge big-back heavy assed things most of us grew up with...but why can't they make them skinny and SQUARE? This rectangle thing just isn't cutting it. You wind up paying for a 42 inch tv but you have 4'2" 500 lbspeople running around so you wind up making it square on your tv so you can watch something correctly and you wind up with a 42 inch tv that shows a 32 inch screen. THEN, on top of that, when you do pop in a dvd and make it wide screen, you get a distortion of where the smaller screen was because it was burned in to it.
What the hell is wrong with designers? Are they stupid or something? :cuckoo:

Feel free to post your own rant.....just don't make it a left or right issue. For once.

Last edited:
Why do the pictures of the food at the fast food outlets (I refuse to call them restaurants) look so different to the actual product?
I called into a new Burger King a few months back, having never been to one before, and thought that one of their burgers looked really nice so that's what I got.
I stopped around the corner and looked at what I'd bought.
It wasn't what I'd asked for - I definitely didn't order a squashed, greasy cardboard burger!
But after dismantling it and adding up the constituent ingredients I figured that's exactly what I had ordered!
Bloody hell it looked good in the picture though!

• Banned
The pics are of fake foods to look like it's real. It's an "art" form by those who are hired to make something look edible but usually what you see is not what you get.

The pics are of fake foods to look like it's real. It's an "art" form by those who are hired to make something look edible but usually what you see is not what you get.

Sure, but that means you only shop there once.
Oh well.
We don't get Taco Bell here...they look nice.

Why the hell do they make tv's long and skinny so everyone looks short and fat??? Skinny and thin tv's are great...beats those huge big-back heavy assed things most of us grew up with...but why can't they make them skinny and SQUARE? This rectangle thing just isn't cutting it. You wind up paying for a 42 inch tv but you have 4'2" 500 lbspeople running around so you wind up making it square on your tv so you can watch something correctly and you wind up with a 42 inch tv that shows a 32 inch screen. THEN, on top of that, when you do pop in a dvd and make it wide screen, you get a distortion of where the smaller screen was because it was burned in to it.
What the hell is wrong with designers? Are they stupid or something? :cuckoo:

Feel free to post your own rant.....just don't make it a left or right issue. For once.
um, you have something set wrong
or you dont have HD service

• Banned
I had HD service, but they were still short and fat. :(

• Banned
I tried everything on the menu of the tv. If it is on full screen...short/fat. If I make it 4 : 3, it is just right..but I still have all that black space border around it.

I tried everything on the menu of the tv. If it is on full screen...short/fat. If I make it 4 : 3, it is just right..but I still have all that black space border around it.

Do you have a zoom option?

I didn't see one. I bought it off my inlaws. Rather, ex inlaws that are still good friends. I have the manual, too.
But I've also gone to Best Buy to look at tv's and they are all short and fat too. I have yet to see a new steamlined thin tv that doesn't make everything look warped.

omg. I just realized it's 3am! I'm off to bed. That in itself is a rant. I used to go to bed at 10pm. Now it takes me forever to fall asleep. But I'm gonna give it a go.:bye1:

if you arent on an HD channel thats what you will get
make sure you are on an HD channel and that you have HD service, as well as the TV is connected with an HD capable cable
if you have cable TV, you might need a special cable from the cable tv box to the TV

Cameras have a way of putting pounds on people.

That's one of the reasons that they started out using models who were thin.

Forum List

Back