CDZ Non-partisan lessons learned from the 2016 election cycle

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
Washington, D.C.
I'm not a political operative, candidate or would be candidate so the lessons learned from any election cycle that are apparent to me are rather high level. That said, this election cycle has shown me that to undertake a run for elected office, one really cannot merely be a "typical" citizen/observer and expect to be an effective/winning candidate. I say "typical" because it's my view that most Americans these days (maybe never, but I've not lived forever to have a way to know that) just aren't composed of high enough personal integrity, driven by deeply enough and thought through personal systems of principle, broadly well informed enough, and possessed of genuine enough subject matter impartiality to be able to express their ideas such that they may legitimately expect to garner the support of their intended electorate, particularly at the national level, and especially at the Presidential level.

That's really a shame for it means that a lot of the folks who probably could be quite good at running the U.S. will never endeavor to do so, in large measure because they just haven't the tolerance to put up with the political BS that accompanies elected office. Who's fault is that? Well, it's no single person's fault. It's our collective fault. We, the voters, let things evolve to where they are. We have allowed politics to get to the point where what matters most is the metrics and the optics. But make no mistake...there is individual blame as well. That we don't far more often raise inherently high principled kids, that we don't raise kids who have irreproachable morals/ethics, is the thing for which many of us are to blame individually. We wouldn't have the collective problem were we to far more often individually not make those mistakes.

The individual blame that rolls up to a collective travesty isn't limited to how we begin things. It exists in how we do things once we are well commenced on life's path. For example, we collectively assert we want elected officials who are responsive to the people's needs, yet individually, we keep sending the same folks back to Washington. How on Earth can one expect to realize different results when one keeps sending the same person(s) back to Washington? It's pure folly, insanity really, to expect different results from doing the same thing.

So, with that introduction, I ask, what non-partisan lessons have you learned from this election cycle?

Lesson?

There is good reason for a strong third party

I have joined another forum, but if I see someone write something worth reading here, I may get interested. Raising kids in the right ways has all but been lost due to the outside pressures in which will say that you are raising your children wrong if you raise them in a certain way now. Isn't it that the system is rigged, where as no matter what the voters want, in the end the electorial and/or the delegates/donors/money decide who wins the game for their guy or gal ? Hollywood then creates all sorts of mindless mindsets in which cast huge confusion and mayhem for the average voter once joining in on the frenzy as well. It's just a messed up deal, and we are seeing it worst than ever this election.

Lesson?

. Yes if can get on an equal footing with the other two, but that ain't happening. All it does is assure a win for one or the other in the traditional 2 parties we've always had.

Lesson?

. Yes if can get on an equal footing with the other two, but that ain't happening. All it does is assure a win for one or the other in the traditional 2 parties we've always had.

LIke is said, STRONG.

May take a while, but with the 2016 choices, their chances 'may' improve

allow for wheeling and dealing on Capitol Hill

At the risk of seeming cynical, as well as ignorant of your central theme (I'm not), more "wheeling and dealing on Capital Hill," rather than less, is the last thing we need. LOL I think I know what you mean in principle, but the way you put it does not encourage optimism about the nature of its actual occurance.

I'm not a political operative, candidate or would be candidate so the lessons learned from any election cycle that are apparent to me are rather high level. That said, this election cycle has shown me that to undertake a run for elected office, one really cannot merely be a "typical" citizen/observer and expect to be an effective/winning candidate. I say "typical" because it's my view that most Americans these days (maybe never, but I've not lived forever to have a way to know that) just aren't composed of high enough personal integrity, driven by deeply enough and thought through personal systems of principle, broadly well informed enough, and possessed of genuine enough subject matter impartiality to be able to express their ideas such that they may legitimately expect to garner the support of their intended electorate, particularly at the national level, and especially at the Presidential level.

That's really a shame for it means that a lot of the folks who probably could be quite good at running the U.S. will never endeavor to do so, in large measure because they just haven't the tolerance to put up with the political BS that accompanies elected office. Who's fault is that? Well, it's no single person's fault. It's our collective fault. We, the voters, let things evolve to where they are. We have allowed politics to get to the point where what matters most is the metrics and the optics. But make no mistake...there is individual blame as well. That we don't far more often raise inherently high principled kids, that we don't raise kids who have irreproachable morals/ethics, is the thing for which many of us are to blame individually. We wouldn't have the collective problem were we to far more often individually not make those mistakes.

The individual blame that rolls up to a collective travesty isn't limited to how we begin things. It exists in how we do things once we are well commenced on life's path. For example, we collectively assert we want elected officials who are responsive to the people's needs, yet individually, we keep sending the same folks back to Washington. How on Earth can one expect to realize different results when one keeps sending the same person(s) back to Washington? It's pure folly, insanity really, to expect different results from doing the same thing.

So, with that introduction, I ask, what non-partisan lessons have you learned from this election cycle?
The Law Of Unintended Consequences is still going strong.

Trump did not mean to put Hillary into The White House, he wanted it for himself.

But he torpedoed the other viable GOP candidates who might have beaten Hillary and has thereby single handedly put her into The White House.

Kasich could have beaten her.

Christie could have beaten her.

Even Jeb could have beaten her.

But Trump killed them all off, whereas Trump cannot get elected, ever, anywhere, for any public office.

Law Of Unintended Consequences.

At the risk of seeming cynical, as well as ignorant of your central theme (I'm not), more "wheeling and dealing on Capital Hill," rather than less, is the last thing we need. LOL I think I know what you mean in principle, but the way you put it does not encourage optimism about the nature of its actual occurance.
Our gridlock is the result of two-party partisanship. Neither side budges and nothing gets done.

With three parties in play, side deals and temporary alliances on specific issues can break that never-ending deadlock and also prevent one-party rule when they have the slimmest of majorities.

The fascists of the far right have greater strength than most realized, but now they are out in the open the political process will crush them.

The inability of the DNC to protects its information is boggling.

Last edited:
Our gridlock is the result of two-party partisanship. Neither side budges and nothing gets done.

With three parties in play, side deals and temporary alliances on specific issues can break that never-ending deadlock and also prevent one-party rule when they have the slimmest of majorities.

Far clearer...TY. Far more impactful and insightful as well.

Forum List

Back