Non-Partisan Election Matter

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
In my Pennsylvania Senate district, we have a nice young woman who recently won election by a slim margin. But all the votes have been cast and counted, so it is a done-deal.

Now it turns out that she may not be seated by the state Senate due to residency irregularities. It seems that state law requires that you have been a citizen of Pennsylvania for four (4) years prior to the election.

Four years prior to November 6th, this young woman was in the process of moving from Maryland to Pennsylvania. On the operative date, she held a Maryland driver's license (and car insurance), was registered to vote in Maryland, and was subject to Maryland's income taxes (though temporarily unemployed). She had quit her job, accepted a job locally in Pennsylvania, allowed her lease in Maryland to lapse, and was "crashing" with friends in Pennsylvania. Her mail in Maryland was being forwarded to her parents' house in Pennsylvania.

In response to demands from the Senate, she provide a hundred (or so) pages of documents - none of them "legal" - attesting to the foregoing facts. None of which may be relevant.

Apparently, no one has found a "legal" definition of residency that covers this fact situation.

She would be in the minority party in the State Senate, and the majority party, of course, is objecting to her being seated (and voting, of course).

Thoughts?

I would say from the time she forwarded her mail to Penn. She obviously wasn’t driving from Maryland to Penn to get it and then back. Most states give you 30 days after you move there to get your license changed. Just my take.

Incompetence from her party and campaign team should not be rewarded.
How is she incompetent? Do you, or do you not, have time after you move to change your license? If you forward your mail from one state to another, are you still living in the old state? No.

Incompetence from her party and campaign team should not be rewarded.
How is she incompetent? Do you, or do you not, have time after you move to change your license? If you forward your mail from one state to another, are you still living in the old state? No.
If I told my boss to hire someone, and then it turned out they didn’t have the proper certifications to do the job and it was illegal for them to work, should my boss still hire them and pat me on the back? Nope.

Forum List

Back