non depressing news

del

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2008
on a one way cul-de-sac
SHIRLEY, N.Y. — A Long Island convenience store owner who showed mercy to a would-be robber says he’s received an apology note and $50 in the mail.

The unsigned note said it was from the man who tried to rob Mohammad Sohail. It said the would-be robber has a new job, a new child, and is staying out of trouble.

Sohail is saving the $50 for charity

Merciful NY store owner gets thank you note - BostonHerald.com

I remember that story :)

I know Sohail isn't a Christian, but he exemplifies my favorite Biblical passage:

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

The Shirley Express store has received numerous letters of admiration.

"No person has ever moved my spirit the way you did. From your biggest admirer," one letter says. "Great men are capable of great acts. You are a great American," another reads.

He has also received several checks with such messages for "a couple hundred dollars" in total, says Sohail. He has made a point to give this money "to the people" by offering free bagels, rolls and coffee in his store every night after 9 o'clock.

But the envelope that arrived on Wednesday came as a surprise. Postmarked November 11 without a return address, it enclosed a $50 bill and a note apparently from the would-be robber.

The typed letter begins, "You change My Life (sic)," and goes on to say that the man is sorry for his actions six months ago.

"At the time I had No money No food on my table No Job, and nothing for my family. I know that it was wrong, but I had know (sic) choice. I needed to feed My family. When You had That gun to my head I was 100% that I was going to die," reads the letter.

Storeowner: A little compassion changed would-be robber's life - CNN.com

What a beautiful soul.

Great story! It is a welcome article with all the issues at hand today. Though we must remain ever vigilant in our daily lives, it sure is nice to see that there is still hope for humanity.

nice thread ..thanks del...i would rep you but gunny has these silly limits and i have reppped willy nilly already.....but thanks for the uplifting story...

Humanity?

Some asshole tries to rob me the last thing he'll get is my sympathy.

If he wants sympathy he can look in the fucking dictionary between shit and syphilis

That's where he'll find his sympathy.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
SHIRLEY, N.Y. — A Long Island convenience store owner who showed mercy to a would-be robber says he’s received an apology note and $50 in the mail.

The unsigned note said it was from the man who tried to rob Mohammad Sohail. It said the would-be robber has a new job, a new child, and is staying out of trouble.

Awww. I like this.

How cool is that ! A nice man invested a little good will and the one who got a second chance repaid him and started a better life. Usually people think that no good deed goes unpunished, but Mr. Sohail planted a seed and it grew. :beer:

Glad that douchebag didn't try to rob me. The only thing he'd be growing is maggot eggs six feet under.

Forum List

Back