Non-citizens given right to vote?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
PORTLAND, Maine -- Like his neighbors, Claude Rwaganje pays taxes on his income and taxes on his cars. His children have gone to Portland's public schools. He's interested in the workings of Maine's largest city, which he has called home for 13 years.

There's one vital difference, though: Rwaganje isn't a U.S. citizen and isn't allowed to vote on those taxes or on school issues. That may soon change.

Portland residents will vote Nov. 2 on a proposal to give legal residents who are not U.S. citizens the right to vote in local elections, joining places like San Francisco and Chicago that have already loosened the rules or are considering it.

Noncitizens hold down jobs, pay taxes, own businesses, volunteer in the community and serve in the military, and it's only fair they be allowed to vote, Rwaganje said.

Opponents of the measure say immigrants already have an avenue to cast ballots -- by becoming citizens. Allowing noncitizens to vote dilutes the meaning of citizenship, they say, adding that it could lead to fraud and unfairly sway elections.

States Weigh Letting Noncitizens Vote - FoxNews.com

Why would someone remain in this country for 13 years without applying for citizenship? Are they not patriotic? Or are they getting some perks that U.S. citizens don't qualify for?

Comments?

PORTLAND, Maine -- Like his neighbors, Claude Rwaganje pays taxes on his income and taxes on his cars. His children have gone to Portland's public schools. He's interested in the workings of Maine's largest city, which he has called home for 13 years.

There's one vital difference, though: Rwaganje isn't a U.S. citizen and isn't allowed to vote on those taxes or on school issues. That may soon change.

Portland residents will vote Nov. 2 on a proposal to give legal residents who are not U.S. citizens the right to vote in local elections, joining places like San Francisco and Chicago that have already loosened the rules or are considering it.

Noncitizens hold down jobs, pay taxes, own businesses, volunteer in the community and serve in the military, and it's only fair they be allowed to vote, Rwaganje said.

Opponents of the measure say immigrants already have an avenue to cast ballots -- by becoming citizens. Allowing noncitizens to vote dilutes the meaning of citizenship, they say, adding that it could lead to fraud and unfairly sway elections.

Why would someone remain in this country for 13 years without applying for citizenship? Are they not patriotic? Or are they getting some perks that U.S. citizens don't qualify for?

Comments?

My mother in law can not pass the test. She is over 80 and they want her to memorize way to much and recite it back to them. My wife had to take the test 3 times. The first two times the giver simply kept asking her questions till she failed.

There was ( and I still believe this) no standard at all. The questioner was free to ask as few or as many questions as they wanted. The first two times my wife took the test a friend also took the test. Her friends were ask 5 questions one of which was " what is your name" my wife was ask 40 or more. Finally on the third attempt the questioner ask her about 20 and stopped.

Having said this, I do not believe a local community should allow non citizens the right to vote in even local elections. That should be up to the State to determine. And I am opposed to voting rights for non citizens at any level.

My comment is, our nation is going to Hell in a hand basket. Citizenship obviously means nothing anymore. We are in a time of social decay that will lead to the unraveling of our society.

This really ticked me off:

On a recent day in a small lunchroom at the Al-Amin Halal Market, a group of Somali men ate lunch and talked in their native language. A sign advertised the day's offerings, including hilib ari (goat), bariis (rice) and baasto (spaghetti).

Abdirizak Daud, 40, moved to Minneapolis 18 years ago before coming to Portland in 2006. He hasn't been able to find a job. Some of his nine children have attended Portland schools, and he'd like to have a say in who's looking over the school system and the city, he said.

But between his limited English and the financial demands, Daud hasn't been able to become a citizen.

"I like the Democrats. I want to vote for Democrats, but I don't have citizenship," he said.

18 years. Limited English. No job. Nine kids. Votes Dem. Nuff said?

Comments?
It often takes longer than that to finish all the paperwork and get approved.

Comments?
It often takes longer than that to finish all the paperwork and get approved.

Actually the most difficult part is the test, if they are able to pass it, they can handle the paperwork involved. Do you remember your constitution test? It was required in order to graduate, at least in IL. But the teachers taught what would be included. Even 50 years ago, that is one test that has always been 'taught to the test.'

Many legal immigrants really do not have the language skills necessary for the materials. They do work unbelievable hours in many cases, so they just can't do 'citizenship' and that is OK. They contribute in uncountable ways to the betterment of our society, they enjoy all rights we do, except voting and being conscripted into military. Many of their children have become doctors, lawyers, teachers, business owners, sadly, even politicians.

The paperwork I was referring to was more on the side of the INS...they are understaffed so it takes years for anything to make it through their maze. I have several friends and acquaintances that have been patiently waiting for permanent residency or citizenship.

That said, I have no problem with a taxpayer voting in local issues. Taxation without representation? Nah.

The paperwork I was referring to was more on the side of the INS...they are understaffed so it takes years for anything to make it through their maze. I have several friends and acquaintances that have been patiently waiting for permanent residency or citizenship.

That said, I have no problem with a taxpayer voting in local issues. Taxation without representation? Nah.

I'll take your word for the INS, nothing about government screw ups would surprise me. :eusa_angel:

I just don't think that non-citizens should be able to vote in regular elections, local or any. However, there are often non-binding, advisory issues that are 'special.' Might be whether or not something should be brought up for a vote, such as building a new library and a necessary special assessment. I'd be ok with those types, where it really is input by public on 'should we do this?' Same with a school district that allows the public to evaluate textbooks and make their recommendations-the district is still the final judge.

Forum List

Back