Non-citizens given right to vote?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by chanel, Oct 25, 2010.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    States Weigh Letting Noncitizens Vote - FoxNews.com

Why would someone remain in this country for 13 years without applying for citizenship? Are they not patriotic? Or are they getting some perks that U.S. citizens don't qualify for?

Comments?

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,929
    My mother in law can not pass the test. She is over 80 and they want her to memorize way to much and recite it back to them. My wife had to take the test 3 times. The first two times the giver simply kept asking her questions till she failed.

There was ( and I still believe this) no standard at all. The questioner was free to ask as few or as many questions as they wanted. The first two times my wife took the test a friend also took the test. Her friends were ask 5 questions one of which was " what is your name" my wife was ask 40 or more. Finally on the third attempt the questioner ask her about 20 and stopped.

Having said this, I do not believe a local community should allow non citizens the right to vote in even local elections. That should be up to the State to determine. And I am opposed to voting rights for non citizens at any level.

3. Middleman

Middleman Defender of the month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +289
    My comment is, our nation is going to Hell in a hand basket. Citizenship obviously means nothing anymore. We are in a time of social decay that will lead to the unraveling of our society.

4. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    This really ticked me off:

18 years. Limited English. No job. Nine kids. Votes Dem. Nuff said?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,769
    It often takes longer than that to finish all the paperwork and get approved.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Actually the most difficult part is the test, if they are able to pass it, they can handle the paperwork involved. Do you remember your constitution test? It was required in order to graduate, at least in IL. But the teachers taught what would be included. Even 50 years ago, that is one test that has always been 'taught to the test.'

Many legal immigrants really do not have the language skills necessary for the materials. They do work unbelievable hours in many cases, so they just can't do 'citizenship' and that is OK. They contribute in uncountable ways to the betterment of our society, they enjoy all rights we do, except voting and being conscripted into military. Many of their children have become doctors, lawyers, teachers, business owners, sadly, even politicians.

7. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,769
    The paperwork I was referring to was more on the side of the INS...they are understaffed so it takes years for anything to make it through their maze. I have several friends and acquaintances that have been patiently waiting for permanent residency or citizenship.

That said, I have no problem with a taxpayer voting in local issues. Taxation without representation? Nah.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I'll take your word for the INS, nothing about government screw ups would surprise me. :eusa_angel:

I just don't think that non-citizens should be able to vote in regular elections, local or any. However, there are often non-binding, advisory issues that are 'special.' Might be whether or not something should be brought up for a vote, such as building a new library and a necessary special assessment. I'd be ok with those types, where it really is input by public on 'should we do this?' Same with a school district that allows the public to evaluate textbooks and make their recommendations-the district is still the final judge.