Nominee Question

Has a major party nominee ever stepped aside? I'm curious what the procedure is for replacing a nominee who steps aside.

Interesting question, and google doesn't tell a damned thing about procedure. I would guess it would be up to the respective party to come up with another candidate on short notice.

Depending on the party and the election year, it could be disasterous. This election, IMO, being an exception. If both primary candidates drop dead this moment, Hillary would get the Democratic nod and Huckabee or Romney the Republican nod, and Hillary would beat either one of the latter two.

I think the Republican nod would go to Romney. Huckabee's become a figment of the past already, while Romney's still deeply rooted in this thing (possibly a VP nomination on Friday).

But yes, Hillary would dominate any of the Republican candidates, even McCain.

It would depend on when the person stepped down. If it is too close to election day, there probably would not be enough time to get the new nominee on the ballot.

It would depend on when the person stepped down. If it is too close to election day, there probably would not be enough time to get the new nominee on the ballot.

It wouldn't matter. People could mark a candidate on the ballot and send electoral votes that can vote for the replacement nominee. Sorta like delegates, really.

I think the Republican nod would go to Romney. Huckabee's become a figment of the past already, while Romney's still deeply rooted in this thing (possibly a VP nomination on Friday).

But yes, Hillary would dominate any of the Republican candidates, even McCain.

It wouldn't matter. Both would be victims of their respective religious beliefs. Romney because he's a Mormon and Huckabee because he's an evangelical.

I think given that hypothetical choice, I would vote for Hillary. I don't like Romney. Has nothing to do with his religion, I just don't like him for some reason I cannot recall. As far as Huckabee is concerned, I would not vote for an evangelical anything.

The delegates and superdelegates would get a list of names and vote. There would be no repeat of the primary.

Not if it is too close to election day...like the weekend before. Some states may have a requirement as to when the nominee must be selected to be put on the ballot. If the nominee's vp choice is still available, then I would say vp will get the nominee's votes. Each state has its own rules.

Not if it is too close to election day...like the weekend before. Some states may have a requirement as to when the nominee must be selected to be put on the ballot. If the nominee's vp choice is still available, then I would say vp will get the nominee's votes. Each state has its own rules.

The last time THAT stopped the Federal government was before 1860.

New Topics

Forum List

Back