Nobody saw Superman?

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
I didn't either. Apparently I'm not alone, it only did around $17 million opening night.

This is definitely the kind of movie I would want to see in theaters. Great sound and picture, huge screen, nothing to distract you like at home, nothing to remind you that the story is probably pretty crappy.

That said, I have no desire to see this and have only a very small memory of the original Superman movies (the only things I can remember at all are something involving a tractor in a field and Superman reversing the rotation of the Earth to bring Lois back to life).

*Edited to remove double-post.

Dan said:
This is definitely the kind of movie I would want to see in theaters. Great sound and picture, huge screen, nothing to distract you like at home, nothing to remind you that the story is probably pretty crappy.

That said,
I have no desire to see this and have only a very small memory of the original Superman movies (the only things I can remember at all are something involving a tractor in a field and Superman reversing the rotation of the Earth to bring Lois back to life.
:confused: you posted twice that it was:
definitely the kind of movie I would want to see in theaters
AND
I have no desire to see this and have only a very small memory of the original Superman movies (the only things I can remember at all are something involving a tractor in a field and Superman reversing the rotation of the Earth to bring Lois back to life.
so which is it?

I didn't even know I posted twice, sorry! I started to post, then saw that I'd forgotten to close my parenthesis, so I hit stop and fixed it. Apparently, I didn't stop soon enough.

Anyway, I guess I did word it wrong. I meant this style of movie, the big, loud summer action movie, is by far more enjoyable projected on a huge screen with a great sound system and (hopefully) a roomful of people who are just as excited as you are is far more enjoyable in theaters than sitting at home by yourself, where you can be distracted by the phone, family, the computer, etc. etc. I am infinitely more attentive to a movie if I see it in theaters than if I see it at home.

With the price of gas and the price of movies, I try to be pickier than I used to be about the movies I see. (I should point out that the nearest theater is 50 miles away.)

I think for some of us Christopher Reeve as Superman is still too recent of a memory. Maybe not even that it's recent, he was just Superman, and seeing someone else play the role isn't quite right. I wouldn't mind seeing it, but I'll only do so if I can catch a matinee or wait until the dollar movies.

Pirates of the Caribean 2, however, will most likely get my business the first week or two.

Dan said:
I am infinitely more attentive to a movie if I see it in theaters than if I see it at home.

A reader at Roger Ebert's site brought up what I think is a good point in the theater/wait for the DVD conundrm.

Why pay all that money to see a movie in the theater when the "real" version will be released on DVD? Extended versions, Directors Cuts, uncensored scenes.

I agree that seeing big action pictures in the theater is a better way to experience the movie. But, jeez, the theater has become such an annoying place. First, it never starts on time. I always wait until the last possible moment to enter the theater because I HATE it when someone sits right in front of me. But no matter how late I get there, I always have to sit through at least 15 minutes of commercials and coming attractions. Not to mention the noise.

Everytime I go to the theater I get more and more reasons to not go to the theater.

nt250 said:
A reader at Roger Ebert's site brought up what I think is a good point in the theater/wait for the DVD conundrm.

Why pay all that money to see a movie in the theater when the "real" version will be released on DVD? Extended versions, Directors Cuts, uncensored scenes.

I agree that seeing big action pictures in the theater is a better way to experience the movie. But, jeez, the theater has become such an annoying place. First, it never starts on time. I always wait until the last possible moment to enter the theater because I HATE it when someone sits right in front of me. But no matter how late I get there, I always have to sit through at least 15 minutes of commercials and coming attractions. Not to mention the noise.

Everytime I go to the theater I get more and more reasons to not go to the theater.

Yeah, BUT...

A lot of those director's cut, extended version, deleted scene DVDs turn out to be crap. Often, there is a reason certain scenes were cut from the movie.

"King Arthur" is a good example. I saw it in the theater, and enjoyed it very much. A very good movie, if you like that kind of thing. When the DVD came out, I bought the Director's Cut, thinking it would be even better. Nope. The opening scene was far too long, adn the rest of the footage that didn't show in theaters consisted of useless scenes like a guy riding a horse around in the circle for no reason.

I like going to the theater because when they make a movie it is made for a theater, not for a DVD. The lighting, sound, the way a director blocks shots, everything is set up for the big screen. That said, if you are going to see something like "Road Trip", I suppose it doesn't really matter, unless you want to see Amy Smarts bare breasts bigger than life.

How about the change of one of Superman's signature lines; "Truth, Justice and the American Way" , is now "Truth, Justice and all that stuff".

WTF!!!

I saw "Superman Returns" over the weekend at an afternoon matinee. Not bad for $5 but that's about all I'd spend on it. Kevin Spacey was the highlight of the show, and did Lex Luther proud. Hell, he was as good in his adaptation of Luther as Gene Hackman was when he played the role.

The rest of the movie was fairly forgettable though.....

I thought the movie was good. It had that "campy" feel to it that the first 2 did. That is one thing I give this movie credit for - it kept true to the original first 2 without revamping the whole story. The timeline is a bit off, but hey, it's a movie.

I can see why Singer dumped X3 to do this one. It was more epic so to speak.

The kid who played Superman did a good homage to Reeve. Movie is left open for a sequel if not a spinoff.

Forum List

Back