Nobody Knows

Truth is, you believe a lot of things every day based on faith. Everyone does. They just don't see it that way.

Like what? :popcorn:

When I was in school, I was taught all about the Peloponnesian War, which was fought in the 4th century BC. I learned all sorts of details about it. There are blockbuster movies made about it. I didn't see it happen. No one alive saw it happen. There's some trace archaeological evidence of it, but it was a war. It's not like excavating the pyramids to find out about a civilization. Most of our evidence for the fact of the Peloponnesian War happening comes from the writings of a guy named Thucydides, and mentions in the writings of other guys at the time. So we either believe them about what happened, or we don't. In other words, we're taking it on faith - faith in the word of these ancient historians - that there was a Peloponnesian War.

That's an obscure and abstract example, but there are actually a lot of things that we learn that are really just us taking it on faith because someone we trust told us so.

Just the idea that there is going to be a tomorrow, that the sun will come up and life will continue pretty much as it has up until now is a matter of faith on our part.

If I get sick, I'll go to the doctor. And he might prescribe medication for me. I don't have any idea what that substance actually is or what it does or how, and I quite possibly can't even pronounce its name. But I'll take the prescription to the pharmacy, and I'll get it filled, and I'll take it. An act of faith, because I have faith that my doctor knows what he's talking about, and that he's reviewed my medical records, and that he knows it's not going to interact badly with the medication I already take and kill me. Now, you might say, "Yes, but that's all backed up by science and research and hard knowledge." But how many people every year are killed by mixing drugs that shouldn't be mixed? How many are killed by doctor error? I have faith that MY doctor knows what's best for me and won't kill me.

Just some examples.

Truth is, you believe a lot of things every day based on faith. Everyone does. They just don't see it that way.

When I was in school, I was taught all about the Peloponnesian War, which was fought in the 4th century BC. I learned all sorts of details about it. There are blockbuster movies made about it. I didn't see it happen. No one alive saw it happen. There's some trace archaeological evidence of it, but it was a war. It's not like excavating the pyramids to find out about a civilization. Most of our evidence for the fact of the Peloponnesian War happening comes from the writings of a guy named Thucydides, and mentions in the writings of other guys at the time. So we either believe them about what happened, or we don't. In other words, we're taking it on faith - faith in the word of these ancient historians - that there was a Peloponnesian War.

That's an obscure and abstract example, but there are actually a lot of things that we learn that are really just us taking it on faith because someone we trust told us so.

Just the idea that there is going to be a tomorrow, that the sun will come up and life will continue pretty much as it has up until now is a matter of faith on our part.

If I get sick, I'll go to the doctor. And he might prescribe medication for me. I don't have any idea what that substance actually is or what it does or how, and I quite possibly can't even pronounce its name. But I'll take the prescription to the pharmacy, and I'll get it filled, and I'll take it. An act of faith, because I have faith that my doctor knows what he's talking about, and that he's reviewed my medical records, and that he knows it's not going to interact badly with the medication I already take and kill me. Now, you might say, "Yes, but that's all backed up by science and research and hard knowledge." But how many people every year are killed by mixing drugs that shouldn't be mixed? How many are killed by doctor error? I have faith that MY doctor knows what's best for me and won't kill me.

Just some examples.

You don't have to believe that there was a Poleponesean war, you're taking it on faith if you think there's not enough evidence to support it. I surely wouldn't, if they have enough proof, fine, if not, no dice. You can still ace the test though.

That tomorrow is going to come isn't faith, it's fact. it's not like there's a chance that it won't come up tomorrow. Get a grip.

Mixing drugs is a personal or professional mistake, I would say more personal because you have to take responsibility for yourself. You have faith that others are looking out for you. Hint: they're not.

Just some examples.

You don't have to believe that there was a Poleponesean war, you're taking it on faith if you think there's not enough evidence to support it. I surely wouldn't, if they have enough proof, fine, if not, no dice. You can still ace the test though.

That tomorrow is going to come isn't faith, it's fact. it's not like there's a chance that it won't come up tomorrow. Get a grip.

Mixing drugs is a personal or professional mistake, I would say more personal because you have to take responsibility for yourself. You have faith that others are looking out for you. Hint: they're not.

It's a fact that there's going to be a tomorrow? How do you know? It's a fact that I'M going to have a tomorrow? How do you know THAT?

This post is nothing but argumentative smoke and mirrors to try to avoid the point.

Just some examples.

It's a fact that there's going to be a tomorrow? How do you know? It's a fact that I'M going to have a tomorrow? How do you know THAT?

This post is nothing but argumentative smoke and mirrors to try to avoid the point.

I never said YOU were going to have a tomorrow, but whether you and I die tonight or not, the sun will still come up. That's a fact.

Just some examples.

Hasn't that been the point of this entire discussion... faith?

Christians such as myself take it on faith that God exists. Atheists take it on faith that he does not exists. We have weighed the evidence and to some of us the evidence proves that God exists while others have found that the evidence is insufficient to prove God's existence or they down right disbelieve the evidence and find it to be a falsehood.

Immie

Christians such as myself take it on faith that God exists. Atheists take it on faith that he does not exists. We have weighed the evidence and to some of us the evidence proves that God exists while others have found that the evidence is insufficient to prove God's existence or they down right disbelieve the evidence and find it to be a falsehood.

Immie

I'm not a theist nor an atheist, I'm agnostic: no god has been proven until this point, but if somehow god becomes a proven fact, I'll be open to it. Atheists are as deluded as theists.

If you have real "evidence" that god exists, I'd like to hear it for sure. :popcorn:

I don't think Man is pathetic. Life is messy and complicated and people do nasty things to varying degrees, at different times in their lives, but people are also full of goodness and love. It's just that the nastiness of Man is so glaring it seems like Man is mostly "bad".

Newspapers and media only put the dirty stuff on the front page and the TV news is so negative, I rarely watch it. Notice we never hear of 90% EMPLOYMENT rate...only 10% UNEMPLOYMENT rate, for example.

The good stuff is muffled and the bad stuff is put on the pedestal.

As a pinnacle of all that exists in the universe, mankind is fairly pathetic. I don't personally want to live in a universe where THIS is as good as it has gotten so far.

Who says man is the pinnacle of anything, we're just another creature, who will probably go the way all creatures go and become extinct in a few million years or so. Although we may exist long enough to make self replicating machines that can live 'forever (give or take)' and they may go on to discover the meaning of life...which as we all know is 43! :eusa_angel:

Immie

I'm not a theist nor an atheist, I'm agnostic: no god has been proven until this point, but if somehow god becomes a proven fact, I'll be open to it. Atheists are as deluded as theists.

If you have real "evidence" that god exists, I'd like to hear it for sure. :popcorn:

I did not claim to have real evidence. To date there has been no physical evidence discovered and I highly doubt there ever will be.

Immie

Immie

I did not claim to have real evidence. To date there has been no physical evidence discovered and I highly doubt there ever will be.

Immie

So you just believe in invisible superbeings because...?

We don't but the odds are near 1:1 There nothing we can observe that sways the sun will go away or that the Earth will stop spinning and if tomorrow is just a function of time than it is 1:1 (I think).

Most knowledge is a gamble and it'd be wise to bet on 'there will be a tomorrow'.

The world would be a better place if everyone realized that there is a chance that their most deeply help beliefs about religion, the universe, history etc. could be wrong (not aiming that at you, I'm just speaking in general).

It's God's Word that says they are fools, not mine. I am just forwarding the message.
What's the difference? If you agree and believe in a message, and then forward it on, it's your message too. Take some responsibility for yourself.

The two-year-old is just starting on the process his older brother has already been through: growing up and learning to communicate his desires, and sometimes, to have his requests turned down, rather than being a helpless, dependent, self-centered baby.

I hope you can see the parallels.
No. The two scenarios have a few things in common, but that does not make them equal or paralleled. When your teenager asks for some item, you provide it. Your teenager is not asking you to make him more successful. You're an ATM. The important aspect is that your teenager learn to communicate well with others and identify the things needed in his life, as well as the way he can go about securing them. Asking for material goods through prayer does not result in acquiring them.

If I get sick, I'll go to the doctor. And he might prescribe medication for me. I don't have any idea what that substance actually is or what it does or how, and I quite possibly can't even pronounce its name. But I'll take the prescription to the pharmacy, and I'll get it filled, and I'll take it. An act of faith, because I have faith that my doctor knows what he's talking about, and that he's reviewed my medical records, and that he knows it's not going to interact badly with the medication I already take and kill me.
Except this is NOT faith. This is evidence based reasoning supported by the standards of the medical professional in this country and the fact that your doctor has consistently treated you correctly in the past. See that? EVIDENCE. Faith is the EXCLUSION of evidence in belief.

Christians such as myself take it on faith that God exists. Atheists take it on faith that he does not exists.
False. Christians take it on faith without evidence that God exists. Atheists do not acknowledge the idea because no evidence exists. These are not opposite or even equally validated opinions.

Forum List

Back