“Noble People of Afghanistan”

They don't care to be occupied

afghanware.jpg

Moronic pandering for votes. More proof that Gingrich is unfit for office.
Do you think he's pandering because you think we ought to be engaged there, or because you think he's not actually going to pull the military out?

He's not going to pull the troops out any faster then Obama. I agree our shelf life in Afghanistan is expired. I thought that when I left the country in 2005.

We fucked up our chances in Afghanistan when we divided our attention by going into Iraq.

You nailed it.

I wouldn't go as far as to the call the people of Afghanistan "noble".

You should check-out the promotional posters for Rambo III, on which they heaped praise upon the "noble people of Afghanistan".

Seriously, though, the place is a dump and should be left well alone.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUP42nSP1ko&feature=related]12-y-old girl victim of violence by husband - YouTube[/ame]

Afghanistan dramatically radicalized under Taliban rule, while at the time having the USSR lose Afghanistan was in America's best interests, having the Taliban and other elements grow and threaten neighboring nations certainly wasn't, but then again I don't think anyone back then could have thought such elements would later declare Jihad against the US, and commit terror across the globe.

Certainly prior to Taliban rule, there was plenty of schools, hospitals, and the government (albeit a communist one) was making inroads into improving the standard of living, and putting an end to the radicalism of the Islamic theocrats in Afghanistan. Probably had the USSR not got involved in Afghanistan, and the US not got involved there either, there never would have been a 9/11 or at least the same degree of terrorism we face today.

But personally I think Afghanistan is far too gone to be helped, the only area worth defending is Kabul (a few small towns without terrorist activity), and the surrounding farmland, as the rest of Afghanistan is full of semi-nomadic people (most of which are to some extent connected by family ties to the Taliban), and desert wastes aren't worth defending regardless, neither was jungle in Vietnam.

Forum List

Back