Nobel Peace Prize Jury Under Investigation...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Has the Nobel Peace Prize lost its credibility?

Nobel Peace Prize officials were facing a formal inquiry over accusations they have drifted away from the prize's original selection criteria by choosing such winners as President Barack Obama, as the nomination deadline for the 2012 awards closed Wednesday.
The investigation comes after persistent complaints by a Norwegian peace researcher that the original purpose of the prize was to diminish the role of military power in international relations.

If the Stockholm County Administrative Board, which supervises foundations in Sweden's capital, finds that prize founder Alfred Nobel's will is not being honored, it has the authority to suspend award decisions going back three years—though that would be unlikely and unprecedented, said Mikael Wiman, a legal expert working for the county.

Obama won in 2009, Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo won in 2010, and last year the award was split between Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Liberian activist Leymah Gbowee and Tawakkul Karman of Yemen.

For this year's award, Russian human rights activist Svetlana Gannushkina, jailed former Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko and Cuban rights activists Oswaldo Paya and Yoani Sanchez are among the candidates who have been publicly announced by those who nominated them.

The secretive prize committee doesn't discuss nominations—which have to be postmarked by Feb. 1 to be valid—but stresses that being nominated doesn't say anything about a candidate's chances.

Fredrik Heffermehl, a prominent researcher and critic of the selection process, told The Associated Press on Wednesday that "Nobel called it a prize for the champions of peace."

"And it's indisputable that he had in mind the peace movement, i.e. the active development of international law and institutions, a new global order where nations safely can drop national armaments," he said

Especially after World War II, the prize committee, which is appointed by the Norwegian Parliament, has widened the scope of the prize to include environmental, humanitarian and other efforts, he said.

For example, in 2007 the prize went to climate activist Al Gore and the U.N.'s panel on climate change, and in 2009 the committee cited Obama for "extraordinary efforts" to boost international diplomacy.

Read More:
Nobel peace prize jury under investigation

"And it's indisputable that he had in mind the peace movement, i.e. the active development of international law and institutions, a new global order where nations safely can drop national armaments," he said

I would say based on this statement within the article that they have in my eyes.

I would say based on this statement within the article that they have in my eyes.

If by dropping armaments they mean on sovereign nations without a war declaration as opposed to dropping armaments from the roster of ideas in solving disputes, i agree.

If by dropping armaments they mean on sovereign nations without a war declaration as opposed to dropping armaments from the roster of ideas in solving disputes, i agree.

This statement is advocating world government. I am all for peaceful resolutions to problems but look at what they are really saying. They want a larger international government where sovereign nations will no longer be able to defend themselves. It's not weapons we need to get rid of its aggression.

'a new global order.' Yeah anytime i hear that, i become very skeptical and cautious.

Considering that among the first winners was Teddy Roosevelt, they have not gone that far off the reservation.

I like that Obama won for something he never did, just said he would do... That right there is just amazing. Obama won the prize before he was even President.

I like that Obama won for something he never did, just said he would do... That right there is just amazing. Obama won the prize before he was even President.

I'm sure that's why they're being investigated. That was pretty bizarre & absurd. Even worse than Al Gore receiving one.

I'm sure that's why they're being investigated. That was pretty bizarre & absurd. Even worse than Al Gore receiving one.

The best part is when I used ask people like TM and RW why Obama won they didn't know, but they would list in Obama's accomplishments. The best I got out of RW later was that Obama was black and somehow that was a step away from racism, guess he was wrong when he made that answer up.

The best part is when I used ask people like TM and RW why Obama won they didn't know, but they would list in Obama's accomplishments. The best I got out of RW later was that Obama was black and somehow that was a step away from racism, guess he was wrong when he made that answer up.

Deranged justification there. :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back