Noah found grace in the Eyes of the LORD

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2012
And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man. They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.
Luke 17:26-27

There comes a time when God's patience ends and His judgment is poured out. The judgment of God is coming. Have you found grace in the eyes of the Lord?

To day is the day of salvation....... 2 Corinthians 6:2
NoahArk.jpg

“And the Lord said unto Noah, Come you and all your house into the ark...And Noah went in, and his sons, and his wife, and his sons’ wives with him, into the ark, because of the waters of the flood.”
Genesis 7:1, 7.

GOD in infinite grace had entered into covenant with Noah that He would preserve him and his family alive. The tenor of that covenant you will find in the eighteenth verse of the sixth chapter, “With you will I establish My covenant; and you shall come into the ark, you, and your sons, and your wife, and your sons’ wives with you.”

There was a positive foretelling of Noah’s coming into the ark and finding safety. The thing was fixed and ordained so to be, and yet, when the time came, Noah was not carried into the ark by force, nor lifted into it against his will by a benevolent violence.

He was bidden to come into the ark in the most natural manner possible and he entered it voluntarily and cheerfully. He and his family left their houses to find a home in the ark and so they were saved.

The covenant promise and purpose were fulfilled, but Noah acted in perfect freedom, as much choosing to go into the ark as others chose to keep out.

http://www.spurgeongems.org/vols22-24/chs1336.pdf

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-30_8-48-39.jpeg
    upload_2016-7-30_8-48-39.jpeg
    9.9 KB · Views: 98
Now, beloved, there is a decree in heaven ordaining the salvation of the Lord’s chosen people. It is useless to deny that decree, for even if it were not so, yet no difficulty would be withdrawn, it would only be shifted to another place.

Some of us, instead of denying predestination, like to think upon it and find rivers of consolation springing from the everlasting purpose of the living God.

But, albeit that God has purposed and decreed the salvation of His elect, yet this by no means prevents our speaking in the Lord’s name to all men, nor does it set aside the necessity that those men should cheerfully accept the gospel of God and awaken themselves to obey its command, by the power of grace.

My hearer, I cannot tell whether your name is written in the Lamb’s book of life from before the foundation of the world, but I can assure you that to you is the word of this salvation sent and that it bids you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ with this assurance—that if you do so you shall be saved, for so has the Lord most solemnly declared.

The method of the divine arrangement involves an active consent on our part and a willing obedience to the gospel command.

The purpose is sure, but it is unknown and unrevealed till the gospel is made known and brought home with effectual power so that the heart accepts it, the spirit obeys it and the man is saved—saved as a free agent, saved as a voluntary being, yet not saved apart from the secret, almighty purpose of the Most High—nor without the effectual working of His grace.

And so we come here, at this time, believing that there are some in this house concerning whom the Lord has purposed that they shall be Christ’s in the day of His appearing.

We address you all hoping that the Spirit of God will apply the Word with special power to the chosen, that they may see that they themselves must believe in Jesus—that they must be actively awakened to repentance, to prayer, to a change of life, to confidence in Christ.

When this shall happen, then shall the covenant purpose be known to them and fulfilled in them, for they shall be saved from the wrath to come.

Not knowing, therefore, who is to come into this net, we cast it into the sea, believing that Christ knows every fish in the sea and what fish will come to the net.

We do not wish to know this ourselves, for it is quite enough for us to know how to cast in the net and to be fishers of men.

The practical work belongs to us, but the result we leave with the Lord.

There are two things in the two texts.

The first is the call, “The Lord said unto Noah, Come you and your entire house into the ark.”

The second is the obedience to the call, “And Noah went in, and his sons, and his wife, and his sons’ wives with him, into the ark.”

I. First, then, THE CALL. We remark, at the outset, that it was a call from the Lord. “The Lord said unto Noah.”

You see, Noah was familiar with other forms of calls, for he had been the instrument of many.

For many years he was a preacher of righteousness and the principal office of a preacher is to herald his Master, to make proclamations, and to call upon men in the name of the Lord to obey the Lord's Word.

“To you, O men, do I call, and My voice is to the sons of men.” But it was not by such calls as Noah could give that men were to be brought into the ark.

For albeit we cannot doubt that he was a faithful minister and an earnest preacher, and pleaded with the people day and night, yet, sad to tell, not one beside his own family entered into the ark through Noah’s labors.

Perhaps his preaching may have been useful to his wife and to his sons’ wives. If so, he had no mean reward for his pains.

But to all outside of his family, his word seems to have been powerless as to delivering them from death by the devouring flood.

But now he was to know something of another call, differing in many respects, a call from the Lord of heaven and earth whose Word is with power.

The preacher can only give the general call and it is his duty to give it to all around him. He is to stand in the streets and lanes of the city and bid men come to the feast of grace.

Yes, he is to go into the highways and hedges and as far as he can to compel them to come in.

But men do not come upon our compulsion or upon our call unless a secret something goes with our pleadings—a mysterious power, quiet, silent, omnipotent, making the voice of man to be the voice of the Holy Spirit and hiding within the shell of the outward call the kernel of the inner call.

When the Lord said to Noah, “Come you,” he did come. He did not put it off and say that surely it was meant for others. He felt it to be a personal call.

It was “Come you.”

He knew that it was for himself. God the Holy Spirit speaks home to the inmost soul when He speaks to save.

There is no putting off His voice as though directed to another. Noah did not feel inclined to controvert, or plead for delay, or object, or make excuses, or say he could not, for when the Lord said to Noah, “Come you,” Noah did come.

The call was effectual and resistance was out of the question. It is true the Lord had, in a measure, spoken to the rest of mankind by Noah’s ministry, but that form of the Lord’s speaking in common pleadings and invitations can be resisted to men’s destruction.

They could close their ears against the common call and they did, for it was true then as it is now, “Many are called, but few are chosen.”

Myriads go to destruction with the honest call of God ringing in their ears which they willfully reject —

“The worldlings willfully went on
Rebellious till their day was past.
They forced the lingering deluge down
And perished in their sins at last.”

” When that silent call comes, which we are accustomed to speak of as “effectual calling,” then, if there is resistance, it is sweetly overcome. The will finds itself no longer headstrong and obstinate. The judgment, darkened before, becomes light, and the soul, before motionless, cries, “Draw me, I will run after You.”

Happy are the men to whom such a call comes from God Himself.

I ask you, my dear hearers now present, whether you have ever had God dealing with you in this powerful, this inward, this spiritual manner, for if not, I am sure you have never come to Christ. If you have received no call but such as I can give you, such as my brethren who aid me can give you, such as the most earnest evangelist can give you, you have been called in vain and are yet in your sins.

If you are, indeed, the people of God, you must know that a voice in your souls, mysteriously persuasive and overpowering, has spoken to you and said, “Come to Jesus,” and you have yielded to it. Happy are you tonight if you have been so called, for it is written, “Whom He called, them He also justified: and whom He justified, them He also glorified.”

Now, note that this call from God was of such a tenor that Noah was bound personally to come. It was a call to personal action. Noah must come. “Come you.” It was not a call of this kind, “Now, Noah, sit where you are and you will be alright. Wait, Noah. Patiently, quietly wait and see what God will do.” But, no, it said to Noah, “Come you.” Noah must come and he must come to the ark too.

For him there was only one way of salvation, any more than for anybody else. He must come to the ark which God had bidden him prepare as the instrument of safety and he must come into it. It was of no use his coming near it, but he must come into it.

Within its wooden walls he must hide himself. Within its vast chambers he must find a dwelling. And so, dear soul, when God calls you, He will make you feel that you must come to Jesus—not wait and delay, but come by a distinct act of the soul to be immediately performed, and you must come to Christ too, for believing in anything else will destroy rather than save you.

Forum List

Back