No wise cracks please

bigrebnc1775

][][][% NC Sheepdog
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 12, 2010
Kannapolis, N.C.
This is an honset question. I am looking for an honest answer. So please do not call me a crazy right wing extermist.

What does a land line phone sound like when it's tapped? As in wire tapped.

If it's the same way it use to be it's a clicking sound. I have quite an ear for that crap - my mother used to work for the telephone company and would get the guys to tap in on her home phone so she could listen to my conversations. I got onto that real quickly and ended my conversations at the first click. There was never any peace.

This is an honset question. I am looking for an honest answer. So please do not call me a crazy right wing extermist.

What does a land line phone sound like when it's tapped? As in wire tapped.

I believe you will hear an extra amount of static and/or crackling.

But it probably depends on who is tapping, the bigger the agency, the better the equipment and less chance of line noise.

If you are being tapped by any half assed professional today you will never know it. There is nothing for you to hear, no tap tap tap, no clicks, no disconnects. You simply will never know.

the whole term "wiretap" is archaic
its all digital now and there are no actual "taps" on the lines

honest answer? you wouldnt be able to tell. its not a physical wire connection anymore. its done digitally.

unless of course you are talking about something like a business partner recording your calls and not the government. then it could be anything but most likely would just result in lower call volume on the phone line that is tapped. (similar to the drop in volume when someone picks up the extension)

Thanks to all that responded.

The reason I asked is my sister-in-law lives at Warnner Robbins near the Air Froce base. She just called my house via land line. I answer the phone and heard the strangest sound like someone had just hung up on a party line then I heard a high pitch tone. I asked her what was she doing and did she hear that sound. She said she didn't hear anything. Oh I forgot to mention my land line phone is a cordless phone. A 5.5 gig hz I think thats it.

The reason I asked is my sister-in-law lives at Warnner Robbins near the Air Froce base. She just called my house via land line. I answer the phone and heard the strangest sound like someone had just hung up on a party line then I heard a high pitch tone. I asked her what was she doing and did she hear that sound. She said she didn't hear anything. Oh I forgot to mention my land line phone is a cordless phone. A 5.5 gig hz I think thats it.

You picked up something local. nothing to worry about. Probably a test signal at a local switching center or some local radio interference that just by dumb luck hit your cordless frequency.

You picked up something local. nothing to worry about. Probably a test signal at a local switching center or some local radio interference that just by dumb luck hit your cordless frequency.

Thanks I thought maybe one of my neighbors might have the same type of phone I have.

Thanks I thought maybe one of my neighbors might have the same type of phone I have.

Even if they did have the same type of phone, they would not hear your conversation as these phones are on different frequencies and are usually encrypted.

Even if they did have the same type of phone, they would not hear your conversation as these phones are on different frequencies and are usually encrypted.

I can change the channel on the phone I have. I was under the impression that the same type of phones on the market had the same frequencies or does that matter?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back