NO, Unemployment is NOT DOWN

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
And who said it was down ? The Obama administration ? And its Bureau of Labor Statisitics ? That's part of the US Dept of Commerce. And that's part of Obama's cabinet.

Here's the kicker of it. Unemployment rates include FOREIGNERS coming into the country and taking American jobs, inside the US. These include millions of illegal aliens, and many more legal aliens on work visas, added to that. NONE of these jobs should be counted in calculating unemployment rates. But every one of them is counted as employment, while every one of them should be counted as UNEMPLOYMENT.

These jobs are employment, yes. But they are employment for ANOTHER COUNTRY (not the US). A Mexican comes to the US in 2013, and for all of 2014, he is working in a particular job. Same with a guy from India. And these guys should be counted in such a way as to lower the unemployment rate ? Not hardly. This whole unemployment picture as reported by the media is poppy$#@!.

Until the govt gets every foreigner the hell out of here, and out of the jobs they're stealing from American workers, there is NOTHING to be said about unemployment, and until then there IS NO UNEMPLOYMENT RATE. And we should all stop talking about it as if there is.

It has gone from 10.1 to 5.7? That is down my friend ;)
Funny, isn't it that if you add up the number of people that went on disability and the number of people that left the work force... yeah all those people really just stopped working and got on SS ... that's not good dumb ass. How many people left the work force? 8mil? How many are on disability now? ROFL yeah we're doing great!

The real unemployment rate according to Forbes.

Tackling The Real Unemployment Rate: 12.6%

Imagine being served your poolside drinks by a lawyer, or getting your chicken sandwich delivered by an experienced marketing professional. The first is a friend of mine, the second my waitress a few weeks ago. Both lost jobs due to economic downturns at their organizations. Both took available work to pay the bills while looking for new positions in their chosen professions.

My friend and the waitress are victims of a massive but hidden problem called underemployment. Watching falling unemployment numbers being reported at 6.2%, down from nearly 10% four years earlier, is simply misleading.

Despite the significant decrease in the official U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics(BLS) unemployment rate, the real unemployment rate is over double that at 12.6%. This number reflects the government’s “U-6” report, which accounts for the full unemployment picture including those “marginally attached to the labor force,” plus those “employed part time for economic reasons.”

Tackling The Real Unemployment Rate 12.6 - Forbes

It has gone from 10.1 to 5.7? That is down my friend ;)
Funny, isn't it that if you add up the number of people that went on disability and the number of people that left the work force... yeah all those people really just stopped working and got on SS ... that's not good dumb ass. How many people left the work force? 8mil? How many are on disability now? ROFL yeah we're doing great!
He's also ignoring everything I said in the OP, which completely invalidates the existence of an unemployment rate, entirely.

And who said it was down ? The Obama administration ? And its Bureau of Labor Statisitics ? That's part of the US Dept of Commerce. And that's part of Obama's cabinet.
You really don't know how the government works, do you? First, BLS falls administrativly under the Dept of Labor, not Commerce, and second, the BLS is an independent statistical agency. The Commmssioner is the only political appointee, but crosses administrations...Bush's appointee, Dr. Keith Hall, was Commissioner until 2012, and then Jack Galvin, a career BLS employee who started under Reagan, was acting Commissioner until 2013. No one in the Administration has any access to BLS (or Census or BEA or NASS etc) data until the night before release.

Here's the kicker of it. Unemployment rates include FOREIGNERS coming into the country and taking American jobs, inside the US. These include millions of illegal aliens, and many more legal aliens on work visas, added to that. NONE of these jobs should be counted in calculating unemployment rates. .
Why shouldn't they? The measure is of employment in the United States, not employment of American citizens. I find it odd that you want to exlude foreigners (though it's unclear if you're including permenant resident aliens or naturalized citizens) but not include U.S. citizens working overseas.

Imagine being served your poolside drinks by a lawyer, or getting your chicken sandwich delivered by an experienced marketing professional. The first is a friend of mine, the second my waitress a few weeks ago. Both lost jobs due to economic downturns at their organizations. Both took available work to pay the bills while looking for new positions in their chosen professions.

My friend and the waitress are victims of a massive but hidden problem called underemployment. Watching falling unemployment numbers being reported at 6.2%, down from nearly 10% four years earlier, is simply misleading.

Despite the significant decrease in the official U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics(BLS) unemployment rate, the real unemployment rate is over double that at 12.6%. This number reflects the government’s “U-6” report, which accounts for the full unemployment picture including those “marginally attached to the labor force,” plus those “employed part time for economic reasons.”

You support the concept that some people, who have jobs, including those who normally work full time but had a bad week, are "really" unemployed?

You support the concept that some people, who have jobs, including those who normally work full time but had a bad week, are "really" unemployed?
What kind of foolish question is that? 12.6% of people who had jobs are no longer employed. 5.7% of the work force are collecting unemployment checks. 6.9% of the work force are no longer eligible. Are you trying to change Fahrenheit to Celsius?

What kind of foolish question is that? 12.6% of people who had jobs are no longer employed.
No, that's not what the U-6 measures. The U-6 is Unemployed (not working but looked in last 4 weeks) plus Marginally Attached (not working looked in last 12 months but not last 4 weeks) and Part time for economic reasons (willing and able to work 35+ hours but worked less due to slow business or inability to find full time work) as a percent of the Employed plus Unemployed plus Marginally Attached.

So, first, you don't have to have had a job to be either unemployed or marginally attached,
second, part time for economic reasons means they have a job (which is what I was referring to)
third it's not a percent of people who had jobs, it's a percent of people currently working, looking for work, or recently looked for work.
fourth, the U-6 is down to 11.2%
It's impressive that you got 4 things wrong in 10 words.

5.7% of the work force are collecting unemployment checks. 6.9% of the work force are no longer eligible. Are you trying to change Fahrenheit to Celsius?
Apparently you are. The Unemployment rate has never ever been based on unemployment benefits. Unemployed is defined as not working, looked for work in previous 4 weeks, could start a job if offered. Doesn't matter if you were layed off, quit, retired and started looking for a part time job, never had a job, re-entering the labor force after a break.

What kind of foolish question is that? 12.6% of people who had jobs are no longer employed.
No, that's not what the U-6 measures. The U-6 is Unemployed (not working but looked in last 4 weeks) plus Marginally Attached (not working looked in last 12 months but not last 4 weeks) and Part time for economic reasons (willing and able to work 35+ hours but worked less due to slow business or inability to find full time work) as a percent of the Employed plus Unemployed plus Marginally Attached.

So, first, you don't have to have had a job to be either unemployed or marginally attached,
second, part time for economic reasons means they have a job (which is what I was referring to)
third it's not a percent of people who had jobs, it's a percent of people currently working, looking for work, or recently looked for work.

5.7% of the work force are collecting unemployment checks. 6.9% of the work force are no longer eligible. Are you trying to change Fahrenheit to Celsius?
Apparently you are. The Unemployment rate has never ever been based on unemployment benefits. Unemployed is defined as not working, looked for work in previous 4 weeks, could start a job if offered. Doesn't matter if you were layed off, quit, retired and started looking for a part time job, never had a job, re-entering the labor force after a break.
Tell that to the people who don't have an income, that they are employed. From your example if I have a string of 100 lights and 12 of them are burnt out, then 6 of them are are considered to be working. Got it.

Tell that to the people who don't have an income, that they are employed.
Why would I do that?
From your example if I have a string of 100 lights and 12 of them are burnt out, then 6 of them are are considered to be working. Got it.
Huh?

Let's go through the definitions, with everything around the reference week for the survey.
Employed: If you owned your own business or farm (whether or not profitable); if you worked at least one hour for pay; if you worked 15 or more hours unpaid in a family business or farm; if you have a regular job but didn't work that week due to vacation, illness/injury, bad weather, strike, etc.

Unemployed: If you did not work during the reference week, but actively looked for work in the previous 4 weeks (put out or responded to an ad, sent in your resume or job application, had an interview, had an audition or bid on a contract, or asked friends or family if they knew of anything), and could have started a job during the reference week.

Not in the Labor Force: Anyone who is neither employed nor unemployed.

Not sure how you got that someone not counted as unemployed would be considered employed. That wold make no sense.

tumblr_n4rnqzlteE1tpnbzxo1_500.gif

Orwellian doublespeak definitions are the rule not the exception in US economic stats, Obama and the Ds have drastically shrunk the labor force Ds which is kept out of the headlines. They have also reduced self-employment, which also is not included in headline stats.

So the OP is:

Using the wrong terms

And therefore grossly understates the economic incompetence of the current administration

Hah, more like the real unemployment rate according to some guy named "Louis" in August who doesn't work for Forbes and has the qualifications to be a contributor: a pulse.

"Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own."

Tell that to the people who don't have an income, that they are employed. From your example if I have a string of 100 lights and 12 of them are burnt out, then 6 of them are are considered to be working. Got it.
That isn't what he said at all. You're trying to put the burden of completely misunderstanding terminology and statistics related to unemployment on someone else when clearly it is you who is babbling incoherently about something he doesn't understand.

Last edited:
Hah, more like the real unemployment rate according to some guy named "Louis" in August who doesn't work for Forbes and has the qualifications to be a contributor: a pulse.

"Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own."

That isn't what he said at all. You're trying to put the burden of completely misunderstanding terminology and statistics related to unemployment on someone else when clearly it is you who is babbling incoherently about something he doesn't understand.

thanks to many many stupid liberal policies and the rise of China and India real unemployment (U6) is 11.2% about 40 % higher than before recession. We cant doing anything about China but we sure can eliminate the idiotic policies.

thanks to many many stupid liberal policies and the rise of China and India real unemployment (U6) is 11.2% about 40 % higher than before recession.
Recession? Oh the one that started in 2008, causing the unemployment rate to skyrocket? That recession?

Yes looking at the graph I can see your point, the liberal policies definitely caused the steep rise in U-6 that you obsess over.

kknyo8O.png

thanks to many many stupid liberal policies and the rise of China and India real unemployment (U6) is 11.2% about 40 % higher than before recession.
Recession? Oh the one that started in 2008, causing the unemployment rate to skyrocket? That recession?

Yes looking at the graph I can see your point, the liberal policies definitely caused the steep rise in U-6 that you obsess over.

kknyo8O.png

yes dear, liberal housing policy followed by idiotic liberal stimulus policy caused the steep rise from which we have yet to recover! Did you think it was caused by the Girl Scouts??

Liberal housing policy? As in barely regulated and opaque lending policies, along with unregulated derivatives trading

I never knew you were a fan of strong government interference and for heavy regulation. EdBaiamonte the communist... and to think I only knew you were a divorced old bitter loser who had a failed career and flamed out pathetically attempting to be an author.

Orwellian doublespeak definitions are the rule not the exception in US economic stats,
Not sure what you consider doublespeak…the basic definitions are straightforward: Employed means working, Unemployed means trying to work, and Not in the Labor Force means not trying to work.
The rest is just nuance to be precise and avoid overlap.

Obama and the Ds have drastically shrunk the labor force Ds which is kept out of the headlines.
How?
They have also reduced self-employment, which also is not included in headline stats.
Incorporated self employed have actually been rising. Unincorporated have leveled off bouncing around.

Forum List

Back