No UN and Internet!

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by Annie, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://www.nysun.com/article/40706

2. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    UN control of the Net? What a nightmare. I am sure the Chinese Government, for example, would love it. Then they could censor the Net all over the world, not just in China, as is currently the case. The internet censorship in China is actively assisted by Google and Microsoft, under threat that they would not be able to do business in China othwise. Swell. Honor and doing what is right often comes in a distant second to making money. Say what you will about the New York Times or the Los Angeles Times, at least they do not roll over for the totalitarians in Beijing.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Google and Yahoo blinked in order to gain access to the Chinese market. That was a big mistake on their parts, I agree. Google and Yahoo should be dictating terms to the Chinese, not the other way around.

I have to agree with most of your post. UN control of the Internet would bring the world one step closer to a world government. I don't agree with your statement about the NYT or the LA Times, but, perhaps they did something I'm not aware of.

I even have doubts about the recent ban on Internet gambling. I'm not a fan of gambling, but I have to wonder if it the beginning of regulation of the Internet. If ever there was a nearly perfect model of the free exchange of information and commerce, the Internet is it. Leave it to the government to screw it all up!

4. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I used to live in Shanghai. Very frequently, the NYT and LAT have their webpages shut down because the Chinese do not like what they have written. In China, unlike Google and Microsoft, the NYT and LAT have not caved in to censorship.

5. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +491
    If they censor the NYT and LA Times, I have to wonder if they ever allow National Review Online, Newsmax.com and other, conservative websites to get through at all?