No Trick or Treat For Sex Offenders

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
I like it.

------

NEWARK, New Jersey (AP) -- New Jersey sex offenders who face supervision under Megan's Law will be confined to their homes Halloween night and will be under orders not to answer the door when trick-or-treaters come calling.

It will be the first time sex offenders in New Jersey will be subject to a curfew.

A lawyer representing sex offenders says the ban won't protect children and the onus is on parents to keep kids safe.

The rules were issued by the state parole board in a recent letter to the 2,200 offenders it supervises.

The offenders must be indoors by 7 p.m. on Monday and cannot answer their doors when trick-or-treaters knock. They can't attend parties where children are present, nor can they take children -- including their own -- in search of treats.

"Our goal is to avoid unsupervised contact," said Edward M. Bray, acting deputy executive director of the state parole board. "There wasn't a specific event or events that was the impetus for this. We're taking a proactive stance."

Bray said he isn't aware of other states with a similar curfew, though many states and the federal government have adopted versions of Megan's Law. The law got its start in New Jersey after the 1994 rape and murder of 7-year-old Megan Kanka by a sex offender who lived across the street in Hamilton Township.

Megan's Law requires sex offenders to register with police when they move into a community. It also requires that the offender's neighbors be notified.

Lawyer John S. Furlong said Tuesday he already has heard from six of his clients regarding the curfew, but said a legal challenge would not be practical. The state has the authority to impose the curfew, he conceded.

But he said: "My own view is that it's unfair, expensive and inane. In other words, it's just stupid. Nobody is going to be safer. Nobody is going to be less at risk. No purpose is served other than the arbitrary abuse of power by people who can."

He added: "The best monitors in the world for children are their parents. You want to keep your kids safe? Go trick or treating with them."

Sixty parole officers in the newly formed sex offender management unit, along with members of the 12 district offices, will perform checks on the sex offenders, Bray said. Local police departments also have been notified of the curfew and were asked to contact the board if they see a violation, he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/10/25/sex.offenders.ap/index.html

GotZoom said:
I like it.

------

NEWARK, New Jersey (AP) -- New Jersey sex offenders who face supervision under Megan's Law will be confined to their homes Halloween night and will be under orders not to answer the door when trick-or-treaters come calling.

...Lawyer John S. Furlong said Tuesday he already has heard from six of his clients regarding the curfew, but said a legal challenge would not be practical. The state has the authority to impose the curfew, he conceded...

Music to my ears! :dance:

AWESOME!

i still want to move to bluegrass... they made it illegal for them to live in city limits

Although this is a step in the right direction, it still avoids the underlying issue:

These people are obviously still considered to be dangerous to children.

If that is true, then why aren't they still locked up?

ScreamingEagle said:
Although this is a step in the right direction, it still avoids the underlying issue:

These people are obviously still considered to be dangerous to children.

If that is true, then why aren't they still locked up?

Exactly. If Child Predators are such a danger they should be locked away forever or executed. ITs not a step in the right direction to continue punishing someone by making up laws after they have served their time. That would be like telling a car thief that after his 10 year sentence in jail he can never drive a car again. How is that fair? The man served his time. He's either rehabilitated or his not.

Bottomline, keep the child predators in jail or don't. But don't create laws that further punish someone after they served their time. It just opens a whole can of worms where anyone can continue to be punished for a crime they committed for the rest of their lives.

I think the police/lawmakers in Newark should be commended for trying to protect kids from these animals as best they can. Perhaps these sex offenders came before misguided bleeding-heart judges or juries, and weren't given long enough sentences. Now all the community can do is try to keep them at bay. Not unlike keeping a pitt bull who once bit a child locked behind a high fence.

GotZoom said:
I like it.

------

It will be the first time sex offenders in New Jersey will be subject to a curfew.

A lawyer representing sex offenders says the ban won't protect children and the onus is on parents to keep kids safe.

The rules were issued by the state parole board in a recent letter to the 2,200 offenders it supervises.

The offenders must be indoors by 7 p.m. on Monday and cannot answer their doors when trick-or-treaters knock. They can't attend parties where children are present, nor can they take children -- including their own -- in search of treats.

"Our goal is to avoid unsupervised contact," said Edward M. Bray, acting deputy executive director of the state parole board. "There wasn't a specific event or events that was the impetus for this. We're taking a proactive stance."

Bray said he isn't aware of other states with a similar curfew, though many states and the federal government have adopted versions of Megan's Law. The law got its start in New Jersey after the 1994 rape and murder of 7-year-old Megan Kanka by a sex offender who lived across the street in Hamilton Township.

Megan's Law requires sex offenders to register with police when they move into a community. It also requires that the offender's neighbors be notified.

Lawyer John S. Furlong said Tuesday he already has heard from six of his clients regarding the curfew, but said a legal challenge would not be practical. The state has the authority to impose the curfew, he conceded.

But he said: "My own view is that it's unfair, expensive and inane. In other words, it's just stupid. Nobody is going to be safer. Nobody is going to be less at risk. No purpose is served other than the arbitrary abuse of power by people who can."

He added: "The best monitors in the world for children are their parents. You want to keep your kids safe? Go trick or treating with them."

Sixty parole officers in the newly formed sex offender management unit, along with members of the 12 district offices, will perform checks on the sex offenders, Bray said. Local police departments also have been notified of the curfew and were asked to contact the board if they see a violation, he said.

I like it too, but what is the sudden preoccupation with NJ?? Just wondering lol

Abbey Normal said:
I think the police/lawmakers in Newark should be commended for trying to protect kids from these animals as best they can. Perhaps these sex offenders came before misguided bleeding-heart judges or juries, and weren't given long enough sentences. Now all the community can do is try to keep them at bay. Not unlike keeping a pitt bull who once bit a child locked behind a high fence.

I think many do come before misguided judges, because most on the lists are tier 2 or 3 level offenders and only wind up serving an average of 5 to 6 years for kidnapping, assualt, and sexual battery. Amazing.

My take? The state's policy will only keep Honest Sex Offenders honest. Sorta like a padlock on a tool box. If somebody wants in, they'll get in. It's a politically-motivated policy, perhaps...and 'briefs well'.

dmp said:
My take? The state's policy will only keep Honest Sex Offenders honest. Sorta like a padlock on a tool box. If somebody wants in, they'll get in. It's a politically-motivated policy, perhaps...and 'briefs well'.

Looks good on paper only huh?? Maybe it will spark something more serious though as other's follow the example.

Bonnie said:
Looks good on paper only huh?? Maybe it will spark something more serious though as other's follow the example.

There is just no way to enforce this among those sex offenders who may be dishonest...thats what I am saying... :(

after all what is the State going to do to enforce the letters to some 2200 violators...assign 2200 officers to watch them on Halloween! It appears as a political stump!

archangel said:
after all what is the State going to do to enforce the letters to some 2200 violators...assign 2200 officers to watch them on Halloween! It appears as a political stump!

It's called a deterrent. Police could never come close to catching everyone, regardless of the crime or policy, but they are making the offenders think twice. Also, just hearing about the policy may make parents more aware that these people are around, and perhaps be even more careful with their kids.

Abbey Normal said:
It's called a deterrent. Police could never come close to catching everyone, regardless of the crime or policy, but they are making the offenders think twice. Also, just hearing about the policy may make parents more aware that these people are around, and perhaps be even more careful with their kids.

Outstanding point! The police do it all the time with "Speed Controlled By Radar" signs, little lines on the road to make people think that area is patrolled by helicopter, etc.

And if it helps prevent just one child from being molested, then it was a success.

Abbey Normal said:

Right - it's a feel-good policy, which will serve no practical purpose other than making sure the honest sex offenders remain honest.

GotZoom said:
Outstanding point! The police do it all the time with "Speed Controlled By Radar" signs, little lines on the road to make people think that area is patrolled by helicopter, etc.

And if it helps prevent just one child from being molested, then it was a success.

Sometimes those lines actually have cameras watching them :(

Forum List

Back