No Treatment, No Cure... No Hope

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
Lou Gehrig, Ronald Reagan, George HW Bush, Woody Guthrie... had diseases that might've been helped by Planned Parenthood.

Fetal Tissue Gives Hope for One of the Worst Diseases

Planned Parenthood is right to supply it.

By Mark Joseph Stern
July 31 2015

<snip>

There is currently no cure for ALS. There will be some day. And that cure may very well be derived from stem cells taken from aborted fetuses.

I can’t help but remember that fact when I watch the videos, taken by undercover anti-abortion activists, of Planned Parenthood technicians discussing how to preserve fetal tissue to be donated for research. The graphic images of aborted fetuses are meant to disgust me, to convince me that abortion is a barbaric act of killing. But I don’t see death in these videos. I see hope.

ALS kills people by causing their motor neurons to degenerate. These neurons go from the brain to the spinal cord, then travel from the spinal cord to muscles throughout the body. When they degenerate, you lose the ability to control voluntary muscle movement. Eating, talking, swallowing, breathing: All of these functions rely, to some extent, on healthy motor neurons. When you can no longer move a muscle, it atrophies. Eventually, your respiratory muscles can no longer contract, and you suffocate.

Stem cells hold terrific promise for the treatment—and, eventually, the defeat—of ALS. The most useful stem cells are found in fertilized embryos and fetuses, where they haven’t yet developed into specialized cells. (Scientists can also reprogram adult cells to act like embryonic stem cells, but these reprogrammed cells, while useful for research, have not been shown to be therapeutically safe.)

The first Food and Drug Administration–approved clinical trials to treat ALS with fetal stem cells are already underway. Any treatment derived from fetal tissue is many years away at best, but the early research has been a success. Stem cells injected into ALS patients’ spinal cords have survived for years and have caused few side effects. The cells seem to protect diseased motor neurons, stimulating their survival. With motor neurons restored to health, muscle atrophy slows or ceases. The experimental treatment slowed or reversed the progression of the disease in several patients in a small Phase I clinical trial.

<snip>

No matter the benefits, no matter that we were going to end up burning the aborted fetus as medical waste regardless, the Pro-Lifers will never be able to take the rational position on this. They are all or nothing, not let's make some good come from the not good.

Lou Gehrig, Ronald Reagan, George HW Bush, Woody Guthrie... had diseases that might've been helped by Planned Parenthood.

By Mark Joseph Stern
July 31 2015

<snip>

There is currently no cure for ALS. There will be some day. And that cure may very well be derived from stem cells taken from aborted fetuses.

I can’t help but remember that fact when I watch the videos, taken by undercover anti-abortion activists, of Planned Parenthood technicians discussing how to preserve fetal tissue to be donated for research. The graphic images of aborted fetuses are meant to disgust me, to convince me that abortion is a barbaric act of killing. But I don’t see death in these videos. I see hope.

ALS kills people by causing their motor neurons to degenerate. These neurons go from the brain to the spinal cord, then travel from the spinal cord to muscles throughout the body. When they degenerate, you lose the ability to control voluntary muscle movement. Eating, talking, swallowing, breathing: All of these functions rely, to some extent, on healthy motor neurons. When you can no longer move a muscle, it atrophies. Eventually, your respiratory muscles can no longer contract, and you suffocate.

Stem cells hold terrific promise for the treatment—and, eventually, the defeat—of ALS. The most useful stem cells are found in fertilized embryos and fetuses, where they haven’t yet developed into specialized cells. (Scientists can also reprogram adult cells to act like embryonic stem cells, but these reprogrammed cells, while useful for research, have not been shown to be therapeutically safe.)

The first Food and Drug Administration–approved clinical trials to treat ALS with fetal stem cells are already underway. Any treatment derived from fetal tissue is many years away at best, but the early research has been a success. Stem cells injected into ALS patients’ spinal cords have survived for years and have caused few side effects. The cells seem to protect diseased motor neurons, stimulating their survival. With motor neurons restored to health, muscle atrophy slows or ceases. The experimental treatment slowed or reversed the progression of the disease in several patients in a small Phase I clinical trial.

<snip>

Based on your story, I take it you are out here stumping for PP.

So these embryonic stem cells that are so valuable for this research, how are they obtaining them from these 11.5 week old fetus's and others in that same range??

You really don't know much about cellular research do you??

It is right there in your article, you are just too stupid too realize the statement and the ramifications.

Bull. Unless releases were signed, telling of the disposition to be used for body parts and for profit, it is the same.
It is the same as this, whether you wish to acknowledge it or not-
USATODAY.com - Illegal trade in bodies shakes loved ones
Ex-Newark funeral director convicted of selling body parts is denied parole NJ.com
you entrust the remains to be handled properly, not to be profited off of.
False comparison. Move along.

rook and tipsy are as lucid as doom on this topic.

You all lack context regarding the OP.

Please study the topic, and then come back and show us what you have learned.

Where do the embryos come from to create stem cell lines?
All the human embryonic stem cell lines currently in use come from four to five day-old embryos left over from in vitro fertilization (IVF) procedures. In IVF, researchers mix a man's sperm and a woman's eggs together in a lab dish. Some of those eggs will become fertilized. At about five days the egg has divided to become a hollow ball of roughly 100 cells called a blastocyst which is smaller than the size of the dot over an “i”. It is these very early embryos that are implanted into the woman in the hopes that she becomes pregnant.

Each cycle of IVF can produce many blastocysts, some of which are implanted into the woman. The rest are stored in the IVF clinic freezer. After a successful implantation, they must decide what to do with any remaining embryos. There are a few options:

• Continue to paying to store the embryos
  • Defrost the embryos, which destroys them.
  • Donate the embryos for adoption(this option is rarely taken).
  • Choose to donate the frozen embryos for research. These donated embryos are the source of human embryonic stem cell lines.
Some embryonic stem cell lines also come from embryos that a couple has chosen not to implant because they carry harmful genetic mutations like the ones that cause cystic fibrosis or Tay Sachs disease. These are discovered through routine genetic testing prior to implantation. Still other embryos might be malformed in some way that causes them to be rejected for implantation into the mother. Embryos with genetic defects of malformations would have been discarded if the couple had not chosen to donate them to stem cell research.

People who donate leftover embryos for research go through an extensive consent process to ensure that they understand embryonic stem cell research. Under state, national and international regulations, no human embryonic stem cell lines can be created without explicit consent from the donor.

Policies vary as to whether women may be paid or otherwise compensated to donate eggs. Most jurisdictions allow donors to be reimbursed for direct costs such as travel to the clinic or lodging. Some also allow payments or IVF services to be provided to egg donors.
Myths and Misconceptions About Stem Cell Research California s Stem Cell Agency

Once again, can you fucking read??

Four to five day old cells, blastocyst ..............

How do theses come from 11.5 wk / 12 wk old fetus's??

Has nothing to do with abortions, now fucking what??

It's sad that liberals feel obliged to rush to the defense of Planned Parenthood for an unforgivable breach of medical ethics.

But I suppose once one accepts abortion, there is no lower they can go morally speaking.

It's sad that liberals feel obliged to rush to the defense of Planned Parenthood for an unforgivable breach of medical ethics.

But I suppose once one accepts abortion, there is no lower they can go morally speaking.
It's a breach of any kind of ethics.

No treatment. No hope. No cure.
Let's take a group of unwanted people. Say black men. Give them syphilis and then experiment on their dying bodies.

By Mark Joseph Stern
July 31 2015

<snip>

<snip>

and, at some point in the future, I'm sure it will be useful in other ways.

Soylent Green 1973 - IMDb

Their far right hatred is so goofy and ugly.

You have to oppose the OP with real facts, real science, and you can't do that.

same old song and dance...remember repubs kept Superman from ever walking again.......same bs different day

I remember when Democrats were normal folks and many of them opposed abortion. Over the decades, however, pro-lifers hav been drummed out of the party, or converted.

Now the Democrat party is the Party of Death.

Forum List

Back