No tip? Go to jail. I've heard it all now...

Tips are just a mimimum wage exemption subsidy for minimum wage exempt restaurant workers.
A Tax in other words.

I made a HELL of a lot more than mw. Your attempt to twist this into a "tax" is a joke. The only time tips are mandatory are with groups of 6, 7, 8, or more.

So the owners claimed they offered to comp the food for bad service, but had them arrested for not giving a tip

That definitely doesn't pass the smell test. A food fight perhaps that got cops involved?

That's because you don't know what you're talking about. By comping the food the customers had the option of giving the exact same amount of money only some it would go for the tip instead of all of it going to the food. Managers can't comp meals then give servers the cash. From years of experience in the field all info right now points to self righteous and unreasonable customers.

Tips are just a mimimum wage exemption subsidy for minimum wage exempt restaurant workers.
A Tax in other words.

I made a HELL of a lot more than mw. Your attempt to twist this into a "tax" is a joke. The only time tips are mandatory are with groups of 6, 7, 8, or more.

Tips by definition should never be mandatory.
They should be properly renamed surcharges if mandatory.

Unless things have changed Restaurant waiters, etc are exempt from the minimum wage law.

Just because you made more does not change the law.

Last edited:
When I was waiting tables, the minimum server wage was $2.15. Don't forget - your waiter/waitress also has to tip out the hostess, food runners, bar tender and sometimes even the kitchen. Also, if you don't make enough in tips the restaurant is supposed to pay you enough to equal the real minimum wage (which was $5 something)- which is why you are supposed to declare your tips. Many of the restaurant owners won't do this, even though it's against the law to hold out. There were some nights I lost money because of lousy tips and it sucked.

Last edited:
When I was a server in college, the worst tippers were:

1. Church people - and they run you ragged for it. I HATED working Sunday brunch for this reason. They are the WORST.
2. Frat boys. I dreaded getting them on a table. They sit and get wasted, forget what they order and whine about everything.
3. The rich rednecks - nice dooly taking up 4 parking spaces, buddy. Do you really need katsup for that seared pork tenderloin? Really? Thanks for the $1.20 on a $120 tab even though you got impeccable service from me and ran me ALL OVER CREATION.

The best tippers are:

1. Young people also in the restaurant business. THE best tippers even though they can barely afford it.
2. Normal families - even though the kids made a god-awful mess.
3. Families/friends celebrating. I loved birthdays and graduations.
4. Businessmen. They used to flirt a little too. Breaks up the monotony.
5. Girls night out. Groups of women were always gracious and generous.

Just an observation.

Word. I remember eating with some relatives who sadly fall into the third category from the first list. They made a big production out of giving the woman a five dollar tip on a fifty dollar ticket, you know, as if was supergenerous. I felt so awkward about it I went back and gave her another five (it was all the cash I had on me).

I've done that too. The waiter/waitress is mighty grateful.

Then there was the time I accidentally added too many zeros to a $10 tip at Denny's and the waitress got a $100 tip on a $40 tab. I wondered why she rushed over to hold the door open for us.

When I was waiting tables, the minimum server wage was $2.15. Don't forget - your waiter/waitress also has to tip out the hostess, food runners, bar tender and sometimes even the kitchen. Also, if you don't make enough in tips the restaurant is supposed to pay you enough to equal the real minimum wage (which was $5 something)- which is why you are supposed to declare your tips. Many of the restaurant owners won't do this, even though it's against the law to hold out. There were some nights I lost money because of lousy tips and it sucked.

Turning tables was the cash flow so I would break off sumpin extra for the busser and hostess who helped that happen.

So the owners claimed they offered to comp the food for bad service, but had them arrested for not giving a tip

That definitely doesn't pass the smell test. A food fight perhaps that got cops involved?

That's because you don't know what you're talking about. By comping the food the customers had the option of giving the exact same amount of money only some it would go for the tip instead of all of it going to the food. Managers can't comp meals then give servers the cash. From years of experience in the field all info right now points to self righteous and unreasonable customers.

In any event, was the situation really bad enough to call the police? I'll bet they loved that call.

Turning tables was the cash flow so I would break off sumpin extra for the busser and hostess who helped that happen.

Yep, the bussers always rushed to my tables first to be bussed, the bartenders always poured my drinks first, because I always "tipped out" to them more than the standard that was expected.

I wonder who on here (besides you Curved Light) knows what "Table Rent" is?

In any event, was the situation really bad enough to call the police? I'll bet they loved that call.

I'm guessing the customers were assholes and didn't know they were actually breaking the law. I bet they are still in shock about the cost of their ignorance. Managers are forever mediating so I'm confident there is more to what we've been told so far

My views are that if the rules the business had is a mandatory gratuity for 6 or more, was it also posted in an obvious location in the restaurant, and on the menus, you know, the small print? If so, they are guilty, case closed, see the bailiff, and pay the fine. And if not, :lol: go to jail for a free room and eats, OH, and you won't have to leave a tip.:lol:

Manu1959 says:
all a guaranteed tip of 18% for a table of six guarantees is crappy service....

I think he is right on the nose. The incentive for good service, busy or not, is history. Remember many people take the path of least resistance. Why bust your chestnuts and toast'em on an open fire, if you don't have to.

Quick story: Similar situation at my son's 6th birthday party. Bowling alley was supposed to provide four lanes with bumpers and light balls and 10 pizzas. Gave us one lane; no bumpers; and only heavy balls for the kids. They could only cook one pizza at a time and the kids were starved. My husband ran to Dominoe's and bought more. We tried to renegotiate the bill for $200 and the cashier called the cops on my husband. He was about to be arrested in front of my son's entire Kindergarten class. A lawyer friend suggested we write a check and stop payment. We did. Ended up not paying a cent. Moral of the story: Write a bad check. lol

My views are that if the rules the business had is a mandatory gratuity for 6 or more, was it also posted in an obvious location in the restaurant, and on the menus, you know, the small print? If so, they are guilty, case closed, see the bailiff, and pay the fine. And if not, :lol: go to jail for a free room and eats, OH, and you won't have to leave a tip.:lol:

Manu1959 says:
all a guaranteed tip of 18% for a table of six guarantees is crappy service....

I think he is right on the nose. The incentive for good service, busy or not, is history. Remember many people take the path of least resistance. Why bust your chestnuts and toast'em on an open fire, if you don't have to.

That's a very bad assumption.....mandatory gratuity had never been a problem that I had seen with years in the business. I never slacked off because of it and I don't know of any servers who did.

That's not the problem.
The main issue here is not the written law but the dumbass, Nazi, piece of shit that was brainwashed and arrogant enough to enforce it.It's a wonder he didn't taze them.

Too bad they weren't armed psychos . They could have removed that cancer from society.
"Duuh I wud juss following orders"
Fuckin' punks.

I don't know if I'd use those words but you have a point.

That's not the problem.
The main issue here is not the written law but the dumbass, Nazi, piece of shit that was brainwashed and arrogant enough to enforce it.It's a wonder he didn't taze them.

Too bad they weren't armed psychos . They could have removed that cancer from society.
Fuckin' punks.

What point is that? The same ignorance that got the couple arrested is the same basis of many responses to the arrest. Walking out of a merchant without paying is shoplifting......period. I'm guessing many people don't know the law on this issue so their reactions are based on a lack of information....just like an early response that didn't know it was a party of eight.

That's not the problem.

Fuckin' punks.

What point is that? The same ignorance that got the couple arrested is the same basis of many responses to the arrest. Walking out of a merchant without paying is shoplifting......period. I'm guessing many people don't know the law on this issue so their reactions are based on a lack of information....just like an early response that didn't know it was a party of eight.

The point is the knowledge of the law by the attending police. There is a compound problem. People don't know the law. The second point is that police only know only a bit about the law. When police are working in a grey area like this they are at a disadvantage. And sometimes they think they have to act and it ends up in a mess.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back