No They Can't - Stossel Is The Greatest

Listening

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2011
This show was great !!!!

Once again Stossel knocks it out of the park.

NO, THEY CAN'T! Why Government Fails, but Individuals Succeed (also the title of my new book) airs tonight on Fox News.

Politicians say "Yes, we can!" and claim they solve our problems.

When the mortgage market crashed, the President said their new law, Dodd-Frank, would create a "new financial system" so such things would never happen again.

After 9/11, Senator Tom Daschle declared "you can't professionalize if you don't federalize!" The Senate voted 100-0 to create the TSA to run airport security.

Politicians' promises are endless. They say they'll: create jobs, "make college affordable for all," protect the disabled, give disadvantaged kids a head start, and invest in "cutting edge innovation."

But they can't achieve what they promise.

•Billionaire Mark Cuban and other job-creators explain why government's rules now prevent the job creation that was once America's hallmark.

•Dodd-Frank, instead of stopping fraud, added layers to already incomprehensible banking laws. Stossel shows how simple rules in the Cayman Islands not only stop fraud, but they also create prosperity.

•While the TSA creates long lines, misses actual terrorists, and angers passengers, screeners working for a private company at one big airport work faster, more cheerfully, and find more contraband. We show how the private company does it.

•Did you know that the U of Missouri is proud to have a "leisure resort" on campus? Naomi Riley, author of The Faculty Lounges: And Other Reasons Why You Won't Get the College Education You Pay For, explains how government aid led to massive tuition hikes.

•Since the Americans with Disabilities Act took effect, fewer disabled people have been able to work.

•Lisa Snell from the Reason Foundation explains how the government's own research found that Head Start did not help poor kids. Government's response? Spend even more.

Government grows, despite its repeated failure.

Politicians are wrong when they say "Yes, we can", but the fact that government can't doesn't mean that we can't. Free people accomplish wonderful things. While government wastes billions on boondoggles like Solyndra, X-prize founder Peter Diamandis explains how private investors have created cars that get 100mpg, space ships, and much faster ways to clean up oil spills, all without charging taxpayers a penny.

Without big government, life can be great.

Read more: NO, THEY CAN'T! Airs Tonight at 10pm ET on FNC - Stossel's Take Blog - Fox Business

Ah, the free market at work.

I was particularly interested to see him point out the way public money is used to turn universities into resorts to compete for attracting students. He also pointed out that the continued increase in subsidies on education have resulted in colleges raising tuition (he has clip of Biden admitting this is the case).

And when it comes to Head Start.....the democrats answer is the failed education system. A total dodge when it was pointed out that hundreds of millions of dollars have been spent on the program, but by the governments own admission, has not achieved any recognizable results.

I am going to get the book !

This show was great !!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrX9Ca7LSyQ]WRESTLING IS FAKE (watch before commenting) - YouTube[/ame]

HOME RUN!!!!!

And the "health crisis" was greatly accelerated by once again Congressional intervention in 1986 called
"In 1986, Congress enacted the Emergency Medical Treatment & Labor Act (EMTALA) to ensure public access to emergency services regardless of ability to pay.

Once hospitals if they took Medicare payments had to see the FEW "uninsured" at that time hospitals had to figure a way in getting back their "uncompensated care" costs.

So hospitals padded and passed on to Medicare and insurance companies i.e. the paying parties these uncompensated care costs!

Case in point, I've access to a database of 6,000+ hospitals AND what they pay Medicare for outpatients.
For example a hospital in Tampa overcharges Medicare by 6,000% for CAT scans and Medicare is OK with that because they know the hospitals pass on their "uncompensated care costs"!

So as with any other business hospitals hike and boost these "uncompensated care" costs estimated in 2010 to be about $66 billion! Any payer be it Medicare/insurance companies out of pocket gets that absorbed cost in what THEY pay!
Hence ONE of at least 2 factors that have escalated health care costs!

I still remember when Stossel got the crap beaten out of him by a professional wrestler..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrX9Ca7LSyQ]WRESTLING IS FAKE (watch before commenting) - YouTube[/ame]

Maybe they needed to check him for brain damage.

Okay, seriously, the one thing the corporatists have managed to do very well over the last few decades is to absolutely convince us that private enterprise is a model of efficiency while the government is a model of waste. (Except the military, of course. We never criticize the military.)

In fact, the gulf isn't that wide. There's a lot of ineptitude in business, and a lot of efficiency in government.

To take some of the assertations above-

While the TSA creates long lines, misses actual terrorists, and angers passengers, screeners working for a private company at one big airport work faster, more cheerfully, and find more contraband. We show how the private company does it.

Did Stossel just forget that the reason why the TSA (which is not an agency I'm fond of) was formed was because the 19 hijackers walked right past private company screeners?

•Did you know that the U of Missouri is proud to have a "leisure resort" on campus? Naomi Riley, author of The Faculty Lounges: And Other Reasons Why You Won't Get the College Education You Pay For, explains how government aid led to massive tuition hikes.

Private universities are just as lavish in their benefits. The real problem there is like any boom industry, they are living large right now. Just like the bankers were living large before the bust, the Colleges are now.

:lol:

Companies are making record profits now and unemployment is slowly ticking downward. Were congress to get up off their asses and incentivize domestic hiring through the tax code..the economy would be picking up at a faster pass. You would also see solid and sustained growth..not the vaporware of the Bush economy.

Yeah, Stossel has the best show on Cable News. I was sad to see Judge Nap go. I liked his show a lot too. Lets hope Fox keeps Stossel. He's a one of a kind for sure. Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

And the "health crisis" was greatly accelerated by once again Congressional intervention in 1986 called
"In 1986, Congress enacted the Emergency Medical Treatment & Labor Act (EMTALA) to ensure public access to emergency services regardless of ability to pay.

Once hospitals if they took Medicare payments had to see the FEW "uninsured" at that time hospitals had to figure a way in getting back their "uncompensated care" costs.

So hospitals padded and passed on to Medicare and insurance companies i.e. the paying parties these uncompensated care costs!

Case in point, I've access to a database of 6,000+ hospitals AND what they pay Medicare for outpatients.
For example a hospital in Tampa overcharges Medicare by 6,000% for CAT scans and Medicare is OK with that because they know the hospitals pass on their "uncompensated care costs"!

So as with any other business hospitals hike and boost these "uncompensated care" costs estimated in 2010 to be about $66 billion! Any payer be it Medicare/insurance companies out of pocket gets that absorbed cost in what THEY pay!
Hence ONE of at least 2 factors that have escalated health care costs!

I agree we need to find some efficienci,es.

But your criticsm of EMTALA is misfounded. The alternative would be to let people die on emergency room floors because they are poor... not exactly a good idea, either.

This show was great !!!!

HOME RUN!!!!!

Get it? "knocked it out of the park".............................HOME RUN!!!!

Nicely done, Shaman. Nicely done.

I still remember when Stossel got the crap beaten out of him by a professional wrestler..

WRESTLING IS FAKE (watch before commenting) - YouTube

Okay, seriously, the one thing the corporatists have managed to do very well over the last few decades is to absolutely convince us that private enterprise is a model of efficiency while the government is a model of waste. (Except the military, of course. We never criticize the military.)

In fact, the gulf isn't that wide. There's a lot of ineptitude in business, and a lot of efficiency in government.

Except that private businesses can't take more and more of our money under the threat of incarceration to endlessly fund their incompetence but the government can and does

Companies are making record profits now and unemployment is slowly ticking downward. Were congress to get up off their asses and incentivize domestic hiring through the tax code..the economy would be picking up at a faster pass. You would also see solid and sustained growth..not the vaporware of the Bush economy.

Again, I'd love to have my life under Bush back, when I was making a lot more than I'm making now...

This show was great !!!!

NO, THEY CAN'T! Why Government Fails, but Individuals Succeed (also the title of my new book) airs tonight on Fox News.

Politicians say "Yes, we can!" and claim they solve our problems.

When the mortgage market crashed, the President said their new law, Dodd-Frank, would create a "new financial system" so such things would never happen again.

After 9/11, Senator Tom Daschle declared "you can't professionalize if you don't federalize!" The Senate voted 100-0 to create the TSA to run airport security.

Politicians' promises are endless. They say they'll: create jobs, "make college affordable for all," protect the disabled, give disadvantaged kids a head start, and invest in "cutting edge innovation."

But they can't achieve what they promise.

•Billionaire Mark Cuban and other job-creators explain why government's rules now prevent the job creation that was once America's hallmark.

•Dodd-Frank, instead of stopping fraud, added layers to already incomprehensible banking laws. Stossel shows how simple rules in the Cayman Islands not only stop fraud, but they also create prosperity.

•While the TSA creates long lines, misses actual terrorists, and angers passengers, screeners working for a private company at one big airport work faster, more cheerfully, and find more contraband. We show how the private company does it.

•Since the Americans with Disabilities Act took effect, fewer disabled people have been able to work.

•Lisa Snell from the Reason Foundation explains how the government's own research found that Head Start did not help poor kids. Government's response? Spend even more.

Government grows, despite its repeated failure.

Politicians are wrong when they say "Yes, we can", but the fact that government can't doesn't mean that we can't. Free people accomplish wonderful things. While government wastes billions on boondoggles like Solyndra, X-prize founder Peter Diamandis explains how private investors have created cars that get 100mpg, space ships, and much faster ways to clean up oil spills, all without charging taxpayers a penny.

Without big government, life can be great.

Read more: NO, THEY CAN'T! Airs Tonight at 10pm ET on FNC - Stossel's Take Blog - Fox Business

Ah, the free market at work.

I was particularly interested to see him point out the way public money is used to turn universities into resorts to compete for attracting students. He also pointed out that the continued increase in subsidies on education have resulted in colleges raising tuition (he has clip of Biden admitting this is the case).

And when it comes to Head Start.....the democrats answer is the failed education system. A total dodge when it was pointed out that hundreds of millions of dollars have been spent on the program, but by the governments own admission, has not achieved any recognizable results.

I am going to get the book !

You point out where your small government/low taxes model actually works.

Go for it.

Because generally countries with small governments and low taxes are third world shit holes.

Again, I'd love to have my life under Bush back, when I was making a lot more than I'm making now...

Most people who've tried Cocaine and quit..still think it's a good drug.

Bush's economy was a massive ponzi scheme almost no one..except Madoff..went to jail for..and even he had to beg for them to arrest him. Bush would have done nothing about the whole Enron/Anderson/Worldcom debacle if it wasn't for Spitzer.

Last edited:

Except that private businesses can't take more and more of our money under the threat of incarceration to endlessly fund their incompetence but the government can and does

No, they just buy politicians to get themselves tax breaks that you and I pay for.

Again, I'm all for smaller and more efficient government. But you try to cut anything, people scream.

No, they just buy politicians to get themselves tax breaks that you and I pay for.

Again, I'm all for smaller and more efficient government. But you try to cut anything, people scream.

So it still all comes down to corrupt government and corrupt politicians.

Wonderful counter-point. The right wing doesn't understand that concept at all. Since their god ronnie came out with the mantra that government is the problem, they worships his on high. It's absolutely incredible how brainwashed they are over the idea.
Surely one day they will understand that those with money buy all the regulations and the politicians who make their life wonderful for them. It also makes them able to funnel the money their direction.

Wonderful counter-point. The right wing doesn't understand that concept at all. Since their god ronnie came out with the mantra that government is the problem, they worships his on high. It's absolutely incredible how brainwashed they are over the idea.
Surely one day they will understand that those with money buy all the regulations and the politicians who make their life wonderful for them. It also makes them able to funnel the money their direction.

Reagan was just another big government dupe.

He wasn't for smaller more efficient government. People who aren't sheep know this.

Depends how you define "corrupt". I think it takes two to tango. The businessmen who bribe politicians are just as corrupt as the politicians who lets himself get bought.

The problem with our system isn't that we have businessmen going in with bags full of money to buy a politician, it's that they give candidates who are too stupid to know the difference bags full of money to get them elected, and voters are too dumb to realize what chumps we are sending to washington.

Reagan was just another big government dupe.

He wasn't for smaller more efficient government. People who aren't sheep know this.

They sure hail him as the greatest ever republican in their lives and he was the worst thing to happen for the middle class.
We have seen that since his handling of many things. The only thing he was good at was giving people bullshit and they believed him.
As one old cowboy once told me...there is more bullshit inside his boots than on the outside.

You point out where your small government/low taxes model actually works.

Go for it.

Because generally countries with small governments and low taxes are third world shit holes.
[/QUOTE]

Tell that to Puerto Rico.
They are doing great and many companies have moved back there.
Puerto Rico's Gov. Fortuno Slashes Deficit

This is what our government needs to do and Dems are fighting it tooth and nail.

Depends how you define "corrupt". I think it takes two to tango. The businessmen who bribe politicians are just as corrupt as the politicians who lets himself get bought.

The problem with our system isn't that we have businessmen going in with bags full of money to buy a politician, it's that they give candidates who are too stupid to know the difference bags full of money to get them elected, and voters are too dumb to realize what chumps we are sending to washington.

If politicians didn't take bribes and pass laws that make it legal to take bribes then we'd have a less corrupt government.

Forum List

Back