No Surprise: Outsourcing Raising The Lowest Salaries

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Annie, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    There will be more scary headlines to come, but bottom line, this is right:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060825/us_nm/economy_productivity_dc

2. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I read Thomas L. Friedman's "The World is Flat: Updated and Expanded" a few months ago. The book's central theme is how outsourcing is difficult, but ultimately beneficial for America and American citizens. This study falls in line with his predictions. It's a very interesting read, and he's added a lot of new interesting content that makes the book apply to individuals as well as corporations and nations. I believe the book has been on the bestsellers list now for over a year. It was in the top five a few weeks ago. I highly recommend reading it. It makes sense of the important economic changes currently taking place and describes them in laymen's terms.

3. Jennifer.Bush

Jennifer.Bush Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    great thread
    :clap:
    i remember in 2004 i saw a stat that said outsourcing is @ 1%

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Thanks. I think whenever our country or any country for that matter, begins a switch or change of major economic engine, there is pain and confusion. Thomas Jefferson was warning about the loss of farmers, nearly 100 years before there were more people in the city than on the farm.

Same when home based craftspeople left home to work in more efficient factories.

Most people do not embrace change early on. There is no doubt that some pay a much higher price than others. Those that adapt most quickly and throw in with the change have the easiest time of it.

5. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Absolutely agree with you re Friedman's book. The number of pages the book contains probably makes some people pass on it, but it is well worth the read. It's actually an educational primer (written as you state in layman's terms) that everyone should read since globalization is here to stay and will not be going away. People are just butting their heads against the wall to fight against it.

6. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Over 150 years ago, more than 80% of our economy was devoted to farming and our population was barely 100 million people. In other words, 150 years ago, 4 people were required to feed 5.

Today, our population is at 300 million and barely 5% of our population is involved in farming (about 15 million people). This means that it now takes 1 person to feed 20.

Not coincidentally, the life expectancy of Americans also increased. Because of more efficient means of producing food, we eat better, which helps us live longer.

The price per performance ratio of computers has declined by a factor of over 1,000 in the past twenty years. The result is that more jobs have been created.

Finding examples that could benefit from increased efficiency is not hard, especially if one thinks of government spending. Those who propose more efficient means of educating our youth, for instance, are often accused of cheating children out of an education. Nothing can be further from the truth. The fact is, that inefficient government spending on programs that are shown to be ineffective, or in need of overhaul "crowds out" dollars that could be used in private investment. Many times, those that cry that "more money is needed" for this government program or that, have a vested interest in preserving the status quo, rather than serving the public good.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Exactly. It's the reason we need to study the 'river civilizations' and extrapolate from them. Damn, I'm fine. :laugh: