No Sharia Law or any religious arbitration in Ontario!

dilloduck said:

This is what they say in the overview:"Looked at broadly, the term is often used to describe societies (especially nations) which have many distinct cultural groups, usually as a result of immigration. This can lead to anxiety about the stability of national identity, yet can also lead to cultural exchanges that benefit the cultural groups. Such exchanges range from major accomplishments in literature, art and philosophy to relatively token appreciation of variations in music, dress and new foods."

What's the big deal?
:gives:

The rest of it regards interpretation of various local applications, not a definition. I'll take the Oxford Standard English Definition over the Wikipedia essay. To each his own.

dilloduck said:
I think Canada and America have different problems with multi-culturalism and the type of impact it has on our countries. You are dealing with it cuturally though Sharia law and language issues. Our problem so far seems to fall primarily along racial lines but hey---I'm sure we can make it more complicated--just give us time. We got a lot more folks down here and making em all equal AND special at the same time is a tough job! :laugh:

I'm not following you, how are race issues multiculturalism related? Could you give me an example?

Perhaps this quote from the Wikipedia article helps explain the confusion here:

"There have been many criticisms of official multiculturalism from both the left and right. However, criticism of such policies can be difficult, because it can quickly lead to accusations of racism and xenophobia."
Using Mexicans immigrating into the US as an example, we can see the confusion of culture and race. Assume for the sake of argument that many Mexicans who move to the US keep Spanish as their primary language, and visibly retain their customs. To Americans of other races (white, African American) this can easily seem to be a Latino (racial) issue more than a Mexican (cultural) issue. If our largest immigrant source country was, say, Russia, it would be easier to see this in cultural and non-racial terms.

Abbey Normal said:
Perhaps this quote from the Wikipedia article helps explain the confusion here:

Using Mexicans immigrating into the US as an example, we can see the confusion of culture and race. Assume for the sake of argument that many Mexicans who move to the US keep Spanish as their primary language, and visibly retain their customs. To Americans of other races (white, African American) this can easily seem to be a Latino (racial) issue more than a Mexican (cultural) issue. If our largest immigrant source country was, say, Russia, it would be easier to see this in cultural and non-racial terms.

I think that sums it up nicely.

Forum List

Back