No Rights for arabs?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by RetiredGySgt, Sep 4, 2007.

1. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,931
  2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Actually, anyone who knows anything about Israel is aware that Arab citizens of Israel have more rights there than they do in Arab countries.

Granted, the palestinians aren't Israeli citzens... but just saying.

3. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,931
    Except you will find people arguing that is false. Ruby comes to mind as one.

4. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    I don't know that she has argued that position. If she has, I'd suspect she knows little about Israel, has never been there, and doesn't know any Israelis.

5. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,931
    Ask her, I believe she has stated that Arab citizens in Israel are at best 2nd class citizens or worse. That they have few rights and only gained them since 1967 or so and a few other claims about Israel.

She hasn't been to Iraq, doesn't stop her from claiming a lot of illogical things about conditions there and about our mass murdering Nazi troops.

6. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Like I said, I wouldn't know, having had no experience with her.... and this thread isn't about another poster. If you're asking me my opinion about how Arabs are treated in Israel, I've already said what I know to be the truth. If you're asking me about Israel's treatment of Palestinians, I think they've done things right and they've done things wrong... neither angels nor demons. But I'd also say the palestinians have been more victimized by their own leadership than they have by Israelis, at least in terms of being able to achieve a two-state solution.

7. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Strawman. Don't be a moron. I"ve never heard anyone here, or on any other board, say that.

from your article"

"the High Court of Justice here on Tuesday ordered the government to reroute a section of its separation barrier that had split a West Bank village from much of its farmland.

So, they're re-routing it so villagers aren't cut off from their farmland. This is the very most basic nod to civilized behaviour. Its not exactly a "profile in courage" for civil rights. I doubt it costs the israelis any security, to reroute the wall slightly. Its probably a relatively simple matter, and is the bare minimum in human decency. This isn't a Martin Luther King moment, dude. Good on the israeli court. But, this isn't some tremendous civil rights victory.

8. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    so someone does something good and you still find fault with it....

9. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    no...I think he is trying to suggest that just because someone holds the door open for you at the drug store, they do not deserve to be canonized.

I have lived in Israel. Israeli arabs certainly have more rights thanLebanese arabs or Syrian arabs or Jordanian arabs or Egyptian arabs, but to suggest that there is "equality" in Israel between arab and jew is an overstatement.

10. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127

Snowman,

I have no idea why you neg repped me for this post. Its my opinon. Its pretty childish of you to neg rep me. I don't even know who you are, and I can't recall ever even talking to you on threads.

Personally, I find neg repping to be childish and immature. This is just a random message board, do you think I care if you bother wasting time neg repping me? Rest assured I won't respond in kind. Neg repping is lame and childish, and I don't have the interest in participating in those games. I don't even know who you are dude. I don't even remember any of your posts.