No Presidential Whirly Bird!!

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
The Department of Defense and U.S. Naval Air Systems Command announced the official cancellation of the VH-71 Presidential Helicopter program late Monday.

Navy Officially Terminates VH-71 | AVIATION WEEK

Last year I had mentioned the subject of defense spending and waste especially when it came to this program, and the fact that this program suplanted Sikorsky a company that had been making the presidential helicopter for over 40 years. The VH-71 made by an Italian company meant the loss of several American jobs. So now we are at the point in a new administration where the decision has been made to cut the program after several billion dollars has already been spent of the taxpayers money. Not only that, it will take several billion more to close out the program and dispose of the airframes that have already been produced. This is a prime example of why we as citizens do not want the US Govt. invloved in any business venture, as they have proved over and over again an inability to manage the money that you and I send them. I do commend President Obama for his comments about not needing a new helicopter a little while back, however I think had he done his homework he would have seen this as DoD's example of business management and perhaps rather than spend additional close out costs just kept the program open long enough so that the money the american taxpayers have spent on it would not have been wasted.

Obviously, You have not had the wonderful experience of having to deal with the VA then? I am saying that tongue-n-cheek though and I do understand your meaning. If the DoD is any example of how the US Govt. manages taxpayers money and the countless billions wasted on cancelled programs and needless ones, as well as cost overruns, corruption, the list is endless. Then it doesn't really give you much confidence that HHS will suddenly be the all knowing and all seeing healthcare entity that will cure the common cold.

Obviously, You have not had the wonderful experience of having to deal with the VA then? I am saying that tongue-n-cheek though and I do understand your meaning. If the DoD is any example of how the US Govt. manages taxpayers money and the countless billions wasted on cancelled programs and needless ones, as well as cost overruns, corruption, the list is endless. Then it doesn't really give you much confidence that HHS will suddenly be the all knowing and all seeing healthcare entity that will cure the common cold.

I think ALL the "universal healthcare" morons should have to go to the VA so they can get a taste of just WTF they're demanding.

That might be too easy Gunny, and we dont need things to be too easy these days or that nasty "w" word work and be self reliant and buy your own healthcare. The VA is a clusterFu* with wings every person in the military active and retired knows it too. the problem is the civilian world at least the ones crying out for universal healthcare choose to ignore this little issue as example of Govt. run healthcare. I have always suggested if someone can't visit a local VA hospital then do the next best thing take a ride on Amtrak that should tell them all they need to know about Govt. in the management business.

Forum List

Back