No Prayer in Public Schools !

Everyone can pray whenever they want...
I pray several times a day, wherever i am it doesn't matter because i pray in "silence". You don't have to bow your head or get on your knees to do this.

There are many kids in school that pray...many have been able to do the "Meet at the Flagpole" prayers and as far as i know nobody has ever stopped them.

I have heard alot about kids getting in trouble at school for praying though, and are told they can't bring Bibles to school. One young girl at a school near us was praying with another girl in the hallway because the other girl had some family problems. They were both taken to the principal and told if it happened again they would be kicked out. If it's between 2 or more people that WANT to pray and not interrupting or bothering anyone else, they should be allowed, it's their "right".

A few years ago at graduation in our town, the Valedictorian was told she could not say a prayer. So....at the end of her speech, almost ALL of the graduating class started reciting the Lords Prayer. Then almost ALL of the people in the bleachers said it right along with them! That was AWESOME! The looks on the administrations faces were priceless! Lol!

Now...That's what i'm talking about. Awesome!!! Way to go kids!.

No, they are being taken to court all the time when they do it.

This same group does not do it to any other religious groups only Christians

Atheist Group Objects To Student-Led Prayers During Football Game

This was all over the news in Oct.

Again, it does not compare to what those Muslim students were doing. It is still a school-sponsored religious activity; the fact that the school HAD a student lead it instead of a teacher or a pastor/priest means nothing at all.

This school is accommodating a religious rule of their football players during Ramadan.
The 'religious rule" is that Muslims should fast during daylight hours during Ramadan. This becomes a safety issue and a problem for proper training if the majority of the team has to practice without having eaten all day. Night time practice after they've been able to eat is a safety, not religious issue.

But Christian students can't wear crosses in some schools or prey openly in the lunchrooms and are being bombarded by law suits and individual school rules.
The jewelry rules don't apply only to Christians, and praying openly in the lunchroom also applies to all students, not just Christians, and is a general rule against disruption. Praying outloud is aloud if it is reasonable.

On January 15, 2002, in Wilton, New York, kindergartener Kayla Broadus was stopped by her teacher from saying the "God is great, God is good" table prayer out loud with her friends before snack time.[9] The Saratoga Springs City school district sided with the teacher, claiming the prayer was a violation of the supposedly constitutional "separation of church and state."
And that case was decided in favor of Broadus.

The point is that this High School is 90 to 95% Muslim and is a public school and they accommodate their religion.
This is fine and they should be able to to so.
But so should Christians be allowed to have their religious freedom as well, but they are not.
They should and do. There's a difference between accomodation for required religious practices and allowing kids to do whatever they want.

From 2004 to 2006, a public school banned Bible study by children ... during recess. A teacher complained about the use of the Bible and the principal then censored the study activity, according to a sworn statement by a teacher told to stop it. Principal "Summa, having learned of a complaint by a teacher and of the students' Bible study, told fourth-grade teacher Virginia Larue to nix the group's recess meeting. Larue did, according to her deposition. In that sworn statement, Larue said she briefly informed Summa of a parental complaint about the Bible study, and Summa then instructed her to end the practice, citing fear over 'separation of church and state.' Larue later told one of Luke's Bible study colleagues the group could no longer meet at recess, according to the deposition."
Again, that was decided in favor of the students.

In 2005, a New Jersey award-winning high school football coach, Marcus Borden, was ordered by his intolerant school district not to bow his head or "take a knee" during any player-initiated prayers. Borden resigned from coaching in October over the issue.
Because while students have freedom of religious expression, a teacher or coach, acting as an agent of the school, is more limited and his participation can and was seen as endoresement and promotion.

It was perfectly fine for public schools to have open worship from the beginning of our nation until 1962.
Only for the majority. Minority religions never got their reliigious freedom.

Last edited:
Any student at any time can pray in school, as long s/he does not infringe on his or her neighbor's right to be free from such behavior and as long as it does not interrupt the educational process.

Any student at any time can pray in school, as long s/he does not infringe on his or her neighbor's right to be free from such behavior and as long as it does not interrupt the educational process.

That's right...
At work i'll just sit and close my eyes and pray in silence.
I do think some schools go a little overboard in this area. I think students should be able to bring their Bibles to school if they want to sit quietly and read it, but many schools won't allow it. There is nothing stopping us from talking to God quietly in our own way.

I find it somewhat amusing that if you google 'no prayer', Iron Maiden's 'No Prayer for the Dying' comes in ahead of 'no prayer in school'. I don't even care that it's one of their worst albums. :lol:

Having graduated 3 children in the public schools over a 15 year period I can tell you good folks the facts on prayer in school:
1. Any student can pray all they want to themselves all they want to at any time anywhere they want to at any public school in America.
2. Some of the kids want to organize Christian prayer groups and do so at school and have their prayers at someone's house. They can do that as long as the prayer is not school led.
3. Any group of kids can get together before or after school at anytime on school property and pray as a group TO THEMSELVES.
4. Parents that spread the lies that prayer is banned in public school want the schools to force their Christian religion on others as their Bible orders them to do so. The Bible states that you can only be a Christian if you witness everywhere you go. Parents that advocate school prayer sanctioned by government want to force their religion on all the kids and convert them all to Christianity. They claim that is the only way to heaven and all the other kids from other religions will go to hell if they do not convert to Christianity and accept Jesus.
5. 95% of the kids wanting to have school led prayer organized by the schools are being forced to do it by their parents.

And one wonders why church attendance is down 40%. The kids see right through this BS.

Last edited:
Having graduated 3 children in the public schools over a 15 year period I can tell you good folks the facts on prayer in school:
1. Any student can pray all they want to themselves all they want to at any time anywhere they want to at any public school in America.
2. Some of the kids want to organize Christian prayer groups and do so at school and have their prayers at someone's house. They can do that as long as the prayer is not school led.
3. Any group of kids can get together before or after school at anytime on school property and pray as a group TO THEMSELVES.
4. Parents that spread the lies that prayer is banned in public school want the schools to force their Christian religion on others as their Bible orders them to do so. The Bible states that you can only be a Christian if you witness everywhere you go. Parents that advocate school prayer sanctioned by government want to force their religion on all the kids and convert them all to Christianity. They claim that is the only way to heaven and all the other kids from other religions will go to hell if they do not convert to Christianity and accept Jesus.
5. 95% of the kids wanting to have school led prayer organized by the schools are being forced to do it by their parents.

And one wonders why church attendance is down 40%. The kids see right through this BS.

I think it is the often unwritten "political correctness: code that is actually a "threat" to many students. They do have a fear, I don't think we can deny that. That fact alone is giving those who use that unwritten power to become more aggressive. that is happening, and we cannot deny it. Who has the power? One person, who is not a Christian, but says he is offended. That is the facts. I have personal experience in being discriminated against because of one offended, in hundreds of not offended people. The result, change the 100 for the one. Sad.

I'll do my own praying, thank you very much.

Keep your prayers to yourself.

In 1963 the Supreme Court ruled no prayer in public schools.

This has lead to many public schools not allowing Christians to pray at graduation ceremonies, to no prayers at sport events.
The idea is that Public Schools can not sponsor a religion.

But a public high school in Michigan which is 90% Muslim can.
Fordson High School - not a peep about this any where in the news.
No one is taking this on as a public school sponsoring a religion.
CBS: Muslims Students at Public School Pray Before Game - YouTube

Why is it that no one is taking this school to court?

Then people wonder why christians are saying this is war against christianty.

What are you doing about it?

Pointing out the left's hypocrisy.

I think it is the often unwritten "political correctness: code that is actually a "threat" to many students. They do have a fear, I don't think we can deny that. That fact alone is giving those who use that unwritten power to become more aggressive. that is happening, and we cannot deny it. Who has the power? One person, who is not a Christian, but says he is offended. That is the facts. I have personal experience in being discriminated against because of one offended, in hundreds of not offended people. The result, change the 100 for the one. Sad.

I am a conservative Republican Christian and disagree with everything you claim.
Nothing PC about me.
I oppose government led prayer everytime I see it.
Something about the Constitution.
Don't they get enough time to pray AT HOME?
Keep religion to yourself.

We have our graduations in a First Baptist Church as all we do is rent the building.
And I support that.
Because there is no government led prayer.
Yes, we are threatened with law suits but we back them down as they know they have no case.

You can pray anytime you want in school or at work. You simply can't infringe on your neighbor's right to refuse to be associated with your beliefs or disrupt the work or public work place.

No one is taking away any Christian's right to pray.

I am a conservative Republican Christian and disagree with everything you claim.
Nothing PC about me.
I oppose government led prayer everytime I see it.
Something about the Constitution.
Don't they get enough time to pray AT HOME?
Keep religion to yourself.

Government has no business in regulating religious activities, none.

In 1963 the Supreme Court ruled no prayer in public schools.

This has lead to many public schools not allowing Christians to pray at graduation ceremonies, to no prayers at sport events.
The idea is that Public Schools can not sponsor a religion.

But a public high school in Michigan which is 90% Muslim can.
Fordson High School - not a peep about this any where in the news.
No one is taking this on as a public school sponsoring a religion.
CBS: Muslims Students at Public School Pray Before Game - YouTube

Why is it that no one is taking this school to court?

Then people wonder why christians are saying this is war against christianty.

What are you doing about it?

Pointing out the left's hypocrisy.

While simultaneously ignoring the right's hypocrisy.

Want a cookie?

Everyone can pray whenever they want...
I pray several times a day, wherever i am it doesn't matter because i pray in "silence". You don't have to bow your head or get on your knees to do this.

There are many kids in school that pray...many have been able to do the "Meet at the Flagpole" prayers and as far as i know nobody has ever stopped them.
I have heard alot about kids getting in trouble at school for praying though, and are told they can't bring Bibles to school. One young girl at a school near us was praying with another girl in the hallway because the other girl had some family problems. They were both taken to the principal and told if it happened again they would be kicked out. If it's between 2 or more people that WANT to pray and not interrupting or bothering anyone else, they should be allowed, it's their "right".

A few years ago at graduation in our town, the Valedictorian was told she could not say a prayer. So....at the end of her speech, almost ALL of the graduating class started reciting the Lords Prayer. Then almost ALL of the people in the bleachers said it right along with them! That was AWESOME! The looks on the administrations faces were priceless! Lol!

They stopped them at our local elementary school. They were holding prayers around the flag in the morning before school. The flagpole was on a mound in the middle of the parking lot, some parent complained and voila, the volunteer prayer meeting was cancelled for everybody. BTW, only student participated, led by a 6th grader, no teachers or faculty were there.

Local junior high, they had 15 minutes set aside everyday for private reading. They were told they had to bring something from home to read or get something from the library, no textbook reading during that time. A boy brought his Bible and it was taken away from him and he was told he wasn't allowed to read it at school even during their "private" reading time. It took a schoolboard meeting full of angry parents to change that.

I can just picture what would happen if a Muslim boy had his Q'ran taken away from him.

Lots of hypocrisy from some on the left who want no religious expression in the public square (get over it, weirdos) and from some on the right who want government-sanctioned and -directed religious expression (you get over it as well).

Forum List

Back