No politician has EVER brought a tear to my eye. Santorum just did

My stepdaughter has severe CP and despite all the cynicism is one of the great joys of my life. My ex-wife told me about how all the naysayers wanted her to give her up saying her life would never be full.
Now despite her severe physical handicaps she is one of the top of her class. She has done and has more potential to succeed than my own children despite her disability.
Every life is precious and full of potential. I'm not a believer in god but if I were I would say god bless Rick for his belief in human life and god bless his little Bella.

Sad. He is in denial. Just like Ann claim her MS in under her control. Anyone who say they have MS is a liar because MS has them 24/7/365. I have had MS for almost 35 years an not one minute go by that it does not remind me. You never give up but you are never in control either. From the beginning of being dx I have never shed a tear or felt sorry for my self. I would love to say my live is full but it is as full as can be expected. Ever illness has limitation. My life is not what it use to be and not what I want it to be. Considering I am 72 years old, I am doing quite well. Not too many with MS live to have it as long as I have.

•Cerebral palsy may involve muscle stiffness (spasticity), poor muscle tone, uncontrolled movements, and problems with posture, balance, coordination, walking, speech, swallowing, and many other functions.
•Mental retardation, seizures, breathing problems, learning disabilities, bladder and bowel control problems, skeletal deformities, eating difficulties, dental problems, digestive problems, and hearing and vision problems are often linked to cerebral palsy.
•The severity of these problems varies widely, from very mild and subtle to very profound.
•The magnitude of the problems may wax and wane over time. However, the cause of the condition, the brain abnormality responsible for the cerebral palsy, does not get worse over time. Nevertheless, the clinical picture may show signs of deterioration as the individual ages.

Sorry, but this is not a full life. I have a 19 year old friend and her life is far from being full.
He put on the same facade as most people do when faced with a devistating chronic illness. I am in bed right now but I would rather be out fishing. Maybe it's true that when you are given lemons, make lemonade.

Last edited:
Depends how you define intrinsic meaning.

I tend to agree that it does. But I see no reason why being an athiest, which GMU never claimed to be, means you can't acknowledge the intrinsic value of life.

Intrinsic would mean self-evident, absolute and existing beyond any definition of man.

Intrinsic would mean innate and real, beyond any definition of man.

For someone who believes the universe is meaningless, can there be intrinsic meaning to existence of a particular pile of carbon atoms - beyond what someone's vivid imagination pretends it to be?

The answer is obviously, NO.

There is nothing good, bad or precious about a chunk of carbon in an otherwise meaningless world, beyond that which is pretended.

I think there is your problem right there. Merely being an athiest and not believing in God doesn't mean you beleive the universe is meaningless.

My stepdaughter has severe CP and despite all the cynicism is one of the great joys of my life. My ex-wife told me about how all the naysayers wanted her to give her up saying her life would never be full.
Now despite her severe physical handicaps she is one of the top of her class. She has done and has more potential to succeed than my own children despite her disability.
Every life is precious and full of potential. I'm not a believer in god but if I were I would say god bless Rick for his belief in human life and god bless his little Bella.

I don't agree. I think the Santorums were incredibly selfish to bring such a sick child into the world. If you knew what Trisomy 18 was...

That poor child probably won't live to see her 10th birthday. Her life is one of pain and suffering, no matter how much her parents 'love' her. If they truly loved her, they wouldn't have allowed to her to be born.

Good for you for standing up for the child. No one else has - including her own parents.

What is absolutely messed up about this is that you both are seriously suggesting that the best solution for a child with a disease is to kill her. It's precisely this mentality that leads to holocausts. It's downright scary. I dont want either of you anywhere near a position of power.

I don't agree. I think the Santorums were incredibly selfish to bring such a sick child into the world. If you knew what Trisomy 18 was...

That poor child probably won't live to see her 10th birthday. Her life is one of pain and suffering, no matter how much her parents 'love' her. If they truly loved her, they wouldn't have allowed to her to be born.

Good for you for standing up for the child. No one else has - including her own parents.

What is absolutely messed up about this is that you both are seriously suggesting that the best solution for a child with a disease is to kill her.

Terminating pregnancy at early stage does not "kill a child" because the child does not exists yet.

Creating a child destined to suffer so that Rick Santorum can feel good about himself -- that's what bothering me.

Last edited:

What is absolutely messed up about this is that you both are seriously suggesting that the best solution for a child with a disease is to kill her. It's precisely this mentality that leads to holocausts. It's downright scary. I dont want either of you anywhere near a position of power.

If a child will be born severely disfigured, or with a disease that will kill them and cause them suffering, then the best option, the HUMANE option, is to not allow them to be born.

Republicans claim to care about human life, but what about the lives of those children born suffering?

If a child will be born severely disfigured, or with a disease that will kill them and cause them suffering, then the best option, the HUMANE option, is to not allow them to be born.

Republicans claim to care about human life, but what about the lives of those children born suffering?

So the next time you are "suffering" we should just put your sorry ass down ?

What is absolutely messed up about this is that you both are seriously suggesting that the best solution for a child with a disease is to kill her.

Terminating pregnancy at early stage does not "kill a child" because the child does not exists yet.

Creating a child destined to suffer so that Rick Santorum can feel good about himself -- that's what bothering me.

Or parents who have a 'child' that looks like this:

0c0a39caa0bb.jpg

224_M.jpg

You have got to be totally fucked in the head to want to give that thing a life. It would be kinder for her if she was euthanased.

I was not brought into this world in pain.

0c0a39caa0bb.jpg

224_M.jpg

You have got to be totally fucked in the head to want to give that thing a life. It would be kinder for her if she was euthanased.

It is amazing how arrogant the left can be.

I was not brought into this world in pain.

Then maybe we should put you down for being stupid ?

0c0a39caa0bb.jpg

224_M.jpg

I am not arrogant, just saying that having a kid looking like that is fucking stupid.

0c0a39caa0bb.jpg

224_M.jpg

I am not arrogant, just saying that having a kid looking like that is fucking stupid.

And just who are you ? What gives you the right to comment on that ? If it is not your kid, maybe you should just STFU.

Just another person who should be denied power. Trying to justify killing a child by pretending an unborn baby isnt one. What is he/she then? A dog?

From my initial post:

'Every life is precious and full of potential.'

Seems silly coming from an atheist. Carbon particles is carbon particles.

Are you claiming that it takes religion to believe in life?

No, I think any atheist who 'believes' absolutes such as good, bad, and precious can be meaningfully attributed to chains of carbon particles is a pretender.

Any other conclusion is illogical and devoid of reason.

Being this stupid must be awfully tiring.

Just another person who should be denied power. Trying to justify killing a child by pretending an unborn baby isnt one. What is he/she then? A dog?

It is a fetus, or an embryo. But it is not a human being.

Well, let's look at it this way.

In a meaningless universe, can strings of atoms have absolute values of - say - good or evil - beyond what we pretend them to be, using our overly active imagination?

I think the answer is quite simple.

if you think things are meaningless as you say than so are definitions, define good or evil or alive or death? if life as no meaning, than why play the game?

But I don't think we have a meaningless existence. By default, an atheist does. Now, an atheist will lash out at that one, and attempt an argument devoid of logic and reason to try and convince us that there actually is real, intrinsic meaning in an otherwise meaningless universe.

As you see, that argument is stupid on its face. Any 'meaning' is only what they pretend it to be, using their active imagination. Nothing more.

Universe is meaningless, just as is our existence -- if by meaning you mean the reason for us to be here.

But we are here nonetheless. And as human being sometimes we feel pain, sometimes we feel joy and we can sure tell the difference between the two. And that is how we can tell evil from good. No need for God to explain this to us.

Forum List

Back