NO opinion just fact on wealth

Iowa10000

Rookie
Nov 1, 2010
Do Americans know their country's wealth distribution?
A remarkable study (Norton & Ariely, 2010) reveals that Americans have no idea that the wealth distribution (defined for them in terms of "net worth") is as concentrated as it is. When shown three pie charts representing possible wealth distributions, 90% or more of the 5,522 respondents -- whatever their gender, age, income level, or party affiliation -- thought that the American wealth distribution most resembled one in which the top 20% has about 60% of the wealth. In fact, of course, the top 20% control about 85% of the wealth (refer back to Table 1 and Figure 1 in this document for a more detailed breakdown of the numbers).

Even more striking, they did not come close on the amount of wealth held by the bottom 40% of the population. It's a number I haven't even mentioned so far, and it's shocking: the lowest two quintiles hold just 0.3% of the wealth in the United States. Most people in the survey guessed the figure to be between 8% and 10%, and two dozen academic economists got it wrong too, by guessing about 2% -- seven times too high. Those surveyed did have it about right for what the 20% in the middle have; it's at the top and the bottom that they don't have any idea of what's going on.

Americans from all walks of life were also united in their vision of what the "ideal" wealth distribution would be, which may come as an even bigger surprise than their shared misinformation on the actual wealth distribution. They said that the ideal wealth distribution would be one in which the top 20% owned between 30 and 40 percent of the privately held wealth, which is a far cry from the 85 percent that the top 20% actually own. They also said that the bottom 40% -- that's 120 million Americans -- should have between 25% and 30%, not the mere 8% to 10% they thought this group had, and far above the 0.3% they actually had. In fact, there's no country in the world that has a wealth distribution close to what Americans think is ideal when it comes to fairness. So maybe Americans are much more egalitarian than most of them realize about each other, at least in principle and before the rat race begins.

You know, i really don't care about wealth distribution. I am so sick and tired with people being obsessed with what other people have. What others have earned is none of mine or your dang business. Get off your butt and work for what you need.

If you don't have what you need, it's not someone elses fault, it's yours.

Capitalists and entripenuers see a need and they fill it! In doing so, they might get rich... so freeking what!

This class warfare shit is getting ridiculous!

I dont give a crap what someone else has or does'nt have. I will do just fine w/o what my neighbor has and I dont.

It drives me to get my own.

The Republican Right wing base see themselves as "millionaires" who are currently without funds.

It's why they fight so hard to give tax cuts to millionaires. They feel when their money finally shows up, they will be able to "keep it".

It's all about solidarity among millionaires. Those with millions of dollars and those who are millionaires, but currently without funds.

• Banned

straight from the mouth of someone who got theirs, and then the next statement to be made is "if I can do it anybody can".

But the truth was it's just about facts, your making it about something, all I was doing was showing to the world where we stand.

And if you took the time to see what it says you might actually be able to get past your preconcieved position that someone is after your money so there is nothing to discuss.
Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power

Take five minutes and look at where we are as a nation and then come back and talk to us.

straight from the mouth of someone who got theirs, and then the next statement to be made is "if I can do it anybody can".

But the truth was it's just about facts, your making it about something, all I was doing was showing to the world where we stand.

And if you took the time to see what it says you might actually be able to get past your preconcieved position that someone is after your money so there is nothing to discuss.

Take five minutes and look at where we are as a nation and then come back and talk to us.

Someone IS after my money.... the US Gov't is, and they want to "re-ditribute" it or "spread the wealth" to those who refuse to do it for themselves.

Im not rich by any sense of the word, but I seem to be in this administrations "crosshairs".

So shut up with your "who rules America" crap, and think about what it would be like if the have nots suddenly ruled America.

Jeez.... give me a break!

The Republican Right wing base see themselves as "millionaires" who are currently without funds.

It's why they fight so hard to give tax cuts to millionaires. They feel when their money finally shows up, they will be able to "keep it".

It's all about solidarity among millionaires. Those with millions of dollars and those who are millionaires, but currently without funds.

You have no idea what we are thinking.

We don't care how much other people have because it's none of our business. We live in a free nation and everyone has the right to work and prosper because of their thrift and industry. If my neighbor makes money good for him. I wish him well. I don't start acting jealous as if my neighbors success somehow implies that I am inferior. That he is somehow keeping me down.

You want a classless society? Choose to have one. Look at people whether rich or poor and see people. If he succeeds, be happy for him! If he doesn't give him a hand and stop expecting someone else to do it.

Stop being jealous and covetting what others have. You'll be much happier in life and much less bitter. Not to mention, you might learn something if you try to understand your neighbor instead of steal his wealth.

You think I've made it? hahahahaha. I wish. Someday maybe I will. But I am where I am because of my choices. I choose to go through school when I could have been out working. And I don't regret that in the least. But it's my own choices that have me where I am. I am not going to pretend some rich guy I've never met is somehow responsible for my life. How dare you try to strip me of my ability to be personally accountable. How dare you strip anyone of it.

Stop putting people down and telling them they can't make it. Stop trying to keep people from reaching their dreams. The people who take risks and work hard and succeed at reaching their dreams aren't evil. They are people who creating better jobs and a better standard of living for tons of people. The evil people are the ones who always put people down. Telling them they can't do anything. Who try to tell people they can't make it and aren't responsible for their lies. How dare you lie to them like thatT

We are where we are as a nation because people like you continually make excuses and try to steal the self respect of others. You drill in them all their lives that they can't make it. That they aren't responsible for where they are. And you know what? They never step up. Instead they believe your lies and your corruption and end up doing nothing to contribute to society.

We are all where we are at in life because of the choices we've made. Choices have consequences. And until we all step up and start working to make better and better choices in our lives, we will continue to have economic problems. Accountability is key to economic success. If you want to blame your problems on other people go ahead. But don't lie to people and tell them they can't do anything to better themselves. People like you who do that make me sick. It's pure evil and I will not stop speaking against it as long as I draw breath.

Oh and no one can rule over another with out ther first's consent. It doesnt matter what party is in power. It doesn't matter the person at the helm. I govern myself. And I will never stop. Even if im thrown in prison. Id rather be poor and free, then to be rich through theft, extortion, robbery, and handouts.

At one point we as a people felt that way. It's a shame you so eagerly trade your liberty for a chance to steal from others.

You have no idea what we are thinking.

We don't care how much other people have because it's none of our business. We live in a free nation and everyone has the right to work and prosper because of their thrift and industry. If my neighbor makes money good for him. I wish him well. I don't start acting jealous as if my neighbors success somehow implies that I am inferior. That he is somehow keeping me down.

You want a classless society? Choose to have one. Look at people whether rich or poor and see people. If he succeeds, be happy for him! If he doesn't give him a hand and stop expecting someone else to do it.

Stop being jealous and covetting what others have. You'll be much happier in life and much less bitter. Not to mention, you might learn something if you try to understand your neighbor instead of steal his wealth.

And people call me delusional? Republicans work to give tax cuts for the rich to move the burden of government to what's left of the middle class. They don't care about this country. They only want to squeeze it dry of every last dollar they can. Remember, they can always move to another country. The middle class can't.

Besides, what exactly is it the middle class "get's to keep"? Poverty? Who wants that?

Like I said, Republicans think they are all millionaires. Some are just currently without "funds".

Forum List

Back