No one fried chicken like Austin Leslie: Bites from the Past

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
de4_austinleslie0008.jpeg

Austin Leslie at Chez Helene in 1974. (Ralph Uribe)

Austin Leslie was impossible to miss, with his captain's hat and pork chop sideburns. His fried chicken was also easy to spot: his birds were sprinkled with chopped parsley and raw garlic then topped with dill pickle slices. He became an international ambassador for "Creole soul food."

The voluble Leslie first gained attention at Chez Helene, his family restaurant on North Robertson Street that he took over from his aunt in 1975. The restaurant was unpretentious but the cooking was spectacular.

"You couldn't fry a chicken better than Austin. You couldn't stuff a pepper better than Austin Leslie," Leah Chase said in 2005.
No one fried chicken like Austin Leslie: Bites from the Past

Blast from the past.

Ok. But, I got the last one under $20. Austin Leslie was pretty famous for that chicken.

Austin Leslie

There are only so many cooks/Chefs that fall under Creole or Cajun that are pre Emeril (born in Massachusetts). Emeril is kind of the dividing line between old and new.

I brine my chicken or I marinate it in buttermilk. Then I put chicken pieces in flour first, then in egg, then back in flour...then let it sit for a bit. Then I fry it on medium high until it's good and brown. Then I put it in the oven on a cookie sheet and cook it at 300 for 30 minutes. Take it out and let it rest.

Me, too. Only, I use half flour and half corn-flake crumbs mixed. TBH, I don't foresee myself changing that. Probably not going to do the potato salad either. I do want to see what he has in the vegetable section or other dishes that he has. Creole and Cajun vegetables are the best.

New Topics

Forum List

Back