No Oil Leaking During Test of BP's New Cap

Worth does not translate into Cash on had dude. That worth is based on untapped oil reserves they own, not on cash they have. They still have to drill the oil and sell it to get that money.

As far as cash on hand, They have about 7 Billion.

The fact that you think we wont notice if we have to pay for this is pretty funny considering what Obama's Debt Commission just said. We need to stop spending, and shitting out Billions for BP's Mess is not what we need now. When BP stops paying, if they do, Then I will happily Boycott their ass.

I agree with half of your last part. I do not think BP should Be given even 1 more permit to drill on US waters EVER. Give them to some American Company, Let BP go Drill in the North Sea.

Their current market cap is 125B.
They have made almost 6 Billion in profit this year alone, and that includes the expenses to date of the relief and cleanup.

Try again.

I want THEIR money to be spent cleaning up THEIR problem.

Sorry but you are completely misinformed. They do not have 125 Billion in cash. They have 6 Billion.

See oil companies re-invest Billions to get more oil to sell.

But You are right in one respect. They have more than enough assets and reserves to pay for all this, as long as we allow them to keep operating, and operating as an oil Company is expensive. I just do not see how we benefit from a boycott at this time.

Like I said the second they go back on paying up for this mess. Then we should all boycott them.

Not sure why you Capitalized Their. I have not disagreed that this is their problem. They were neglectful. They did it. Blame BP!! Just do not punish everyone to Punish BP.

Outside of me and 2 other guys, NO ONE on the face of the earth uses cash any more. Trust me, if they had to come up with 50B in cash tomorrow, they would.

Don't forget sea turtles and tarpon, both likely gone from the Gulf forever, but certainly for our lifetimes.

This is shrimp and oysters and crab. There are so many fish i cant even begin to name them. The sport fishing industry in the gulf is dead.

The most tragic thing is that the Area effected is literally the Nursery of Hundreds of species. our Grand kids will be dealing with the effects of this spill. Whether they realize it or not.

Agreed and it is so very sad.

How about you read all the posts before making some stupid comment. I do not excuse BP or want to apologize to them. This was their fault. They cut corners to save a buck. They did this to us, and the gulf. I just do not think it is fair, or right, to punish a whole industry for the failings of one Company. That is why I pointed out the 35000 wells drilled. Because Most companies do it, and do not fuck up like BP.

Stop BP from Drilling, don't stop them all.

Well lets see, how do you know i didn't read the thread? I made a general comment. Take it however ever you want.

Eventually someone will fuck up, BP just got there first.

So then, what you want is no more drilling anywhere? Ever?

Just clarifying.

The third saddest part of this whole fiasco is the fact that we have the technology to make this type of drilling "just a job, 5 days a week", if they would check the batteries in the blow out preventers before installing.

The only thing better than We, The People successfully twisting the $20 billion titties of a major corporation as it reluctantly takes responsibility for its fuck up due to neglect would be for the corporations to have at least as much expectation of personal responsibility for their actions in the community as the average Joe.

Well lets see, how do you know i didn't read the thread? I made a general comment. Take it however ever you want.

Just clarifying.

The third saddest part of this whole fiasco is the fact that we have the technology to make this type of drilling "just a job, 5 days a week", if they would check the batteries in the blow out preventers before installing.

The only thing better than We, The People successfully twisting the $20 billion titties of a major corporation as it reluctantly takes responsibility for its fuck up due to neglect would be for the corporations to have at least as much expectation of personal responsibility for their actions in the community as the average Joe.

If we are going to be fair, then we have to Fault the government as well. Both before and after Obama. They were suppose to be watching these fuckers. Instead Both Sides were taking their money and looking the other way.

Just clarifying.

Sadly, 20Billion won't scratch the surface of what this is going to cost.

Just clarifying.

If we are going to be fair, then we have to Fault the government as well. Both before and after Obama. They were suppose to be watching these fuckers. Instead Both Sides were taking their money and looking the other way.

Agreed

Just clarifying.

Sadly, 20Billion won't scratch the surface of what this is going to cost.

Yep. wont even be close.

While this was a complete FUBAR on BP's part, were there a major blowout in any of the companies wells in the Gulf, at whatever depth, nobody to this point has had the gear on hand to take care of the blowout in a timely fashion.

I think all drilling in the Gulf should be stopped until the oil corperations have the resources in place to handle this type of problem.

While this was a complete FUBAR on BP's part, were there a major blowout in any of the companies wells in the Gulf, at whatever depth, nobody to this point has had the gear on hand to take care of the blowout in a timely fashion.

I think all drilling in the Gulf should be stopped until the oil corperations have the resources in place to handle this type of problem.

In a perfect world maybe, but in the real world where we have to live. If you do that, Most of the rigs in the gulf with be leased to other countries and gone for good.

So jillian, what really hurts me is the damage all of this is doing to the ocean, fush and wild life. I hope the cap works but i still worry about the back pressure.

the damage to the ecosystem is heartbreaking. but it's also painful to think that an entire way of life may be wiped out. i mean, how do you teach your son to shrimp, like his father and his father's father before him, if there aren't any shrimp or the shrimp are contaminated? :(

It is very sad, and tragic. There is a good chance the Shrimp will never come back. The Herring fishery in Alaska still has not come back since the Exxon accident. The Gulf will never fully recover.

:(

Could you clarify that comment on the Alaskan Herring catch? I have a friendly aquaintance who is a lobbyist for the tribes up in that neck of the woods, and I've been going up to fish all over Alaska on his dime for a number of years and it's my understanding (and his) that the Herring fishery declined in the 1970s after Alaska started getting top dollar for Herring product to Japan, whose own Herring populations had collapsed. He also said that the Herring populations have been stable or improving for some time - and are higher now than 30 years ago. Herring is not as profitable as it once was so a number of fishing seasons were actually shut down for lack of interest on the commercial side. This is not true of all areas though - some parts of Alaska still enjoy a thriving commercial Herring fishery.

Just found your comment odd as it does not match up with what my Alaskan friend had been telling me over the years. Herring are aplenty - salmon seem to be doing OK since the #s dropped off in the 70s and 80s, the crab populations are pretty strong since numbers started to be closely monitored and seasons more regulated, etc. Some sea lion populations appeared to have declined - but he thinks that some of those populations might have migrated south - parts of Canada and WA state have seen a considerable increase in sea lion #s apparently. (They are eating all our damn salmon!!! :eusa_eh:)

At any rate, just an FYI on that...

Their current market cap is 125B.
They have made almost 6 Billion in profit this year alone, and that includes the expenses to date of the relief and cleanup.

Try again.

I want THEIR money to be spent cleaning up THEIR problem.

Sorry but you are completely misinformed. They do not have 125 Billion in cash. They have 6 Billion.

See oil companies re-invest Billions to get more oil to sell.

But You are right in one respect. They have more than enough assets and reserves to pay for all this, as long as we allow them to keep operating, and operating as an oil Company is expensive. I just do not see how we benefit from a boycott at this time.

Like I said the second they go back on paying up for this mess. Then we should all boycott them.

Not sure why you Capitalized Their. I have not disagreed that this is their problem. They were neglectful. They did it. Blame BP!! Just do not punish everyone to Punish BP.

Outside of me and 2 other guys, NO ONE on the face of the earth uses cash any more. Trust me, if they had to come up with 50B in cash tomorrow, they would.

UMM I use cash. I find using plastic, even a debit card, Desensitizes you to how much you are really spending.

the damage to the ecosystem is heartbreaking. but it's also painful to think that an entire way of life may be wiped out. i mean, how do you teach your son to shrimp, like his father and his father's father before him, if there aren't any shrimp or the shrimp are contaminated? :(

It is very sad, and tragic. There is a good chance the Shrimp will never come back. The Herring fishery in Alaska still has not come back since the Exxon accident. The Gulf will never fully recover.

:(

Could you clarify that comment on the Alaskan Herring catch? I have a friendly aquaintance who is a lobbyist for the tribes up in that neck of the woods, and I've been going up to fish all over Alaska on his dime for a number of years and it's my understanding (and his) that the Herring fishery declined in the 1970s after Alaska started getting top dollar for Herring product to Japan, whose own Herring populations had collapsed. He also said that the Herring populations have been stable or improving for some time - and are higher now than 30 years ago. Herring is not as profitable as it once was so a number of fishing seasons were actually shut down for lack of interest on the commercial side. This is not true of all areas though - some parts of Alaska still enjoy a thriving commercial Herring fishery.

Just found your comment odd as it does not match up with what my Alaskan friend had been telling me over the years. Herring are aplenty - salmon seem to be doing OK since the #s dropped off in the 70s and 80s, the crab populations are pretty strong since numbers started to be closely monitored and seasons more regulated, etc. Some sea lion populations appeared to have declined - but he thinks that some of those populations might have migrated south - parts of Canada and WA state have seen a considerable increase in sea lion #s apparently. (They are eating all our damn salmon!!! :eusa_eh:)

At any rate, just an FYI on that...

The Commercial Herring fishery has never come back. Actually heard it on deadliest catch LOL, but I then went on line and confirmed it. So Natives might be catching them, but the annual commercial Season has never been back.

Help me here, Old ROcks:

The tourism is gone for this year.

The fishing industry is done for several years, at best, decades at worst.

If you shut down drilling, how are these people supposed to make a living?

This is all no-thanks to the Obama Administration that did nothing to regulate the original drilling of the well & waived BP Emergency response plan & Environmental Impact studies prior to the blow-out. Now decided to regulate everything involved in stopping the oil flow and cleaning up the spill causing major delays in stopping the flow of oil from the well. Obama deserves credit for turning this problem into a worse disaster.

Help me here, Old ROcks:

The tourism is gone for this year.

The fishing industry is done for several years, at best, decades at worst.

If you shut down drilling, how are these people supposed to make a living?

Obama will take care of them. Oh wait, they are in red states. No he wont.

Best wishes to the families that earn their living off the Gulf. It will be a while before your lives are back to normal, but this is a good start

You get it. It is great the leak has stopped but it has been almost three months. They are saying that the spill is five times that of the Exxon Valdez. Some projections have the oil even spreading up the eastern seaboard. So many good hardworking people have had their lives destroyed. We could be talking decades before things get back to normal. I know I'm playing Monday morning QB but why couldn't they have done this earlier?

This is all no-thanks to the Obama Administration that did nothing to regulate the original drilling of the well & waived BP Emergency response plan & Environmental Impact studies prior to the blow-out. Now decided to regulate everything involved in stopping the oil flow and cleaning up the spill causing major delays in stopping the flow of oil from the well. Obama deserves credit for turning this problem into a worse disaster.

Link please

Just clarifying.

True, but the answer, at least in the longest terms is for corporations and the people hiding behind them to take responsibility for problems they create. My momma told me that spilled milk is only a problem if the person who spilled it doesn't clean it up.

I wonder if the $75 million cap on responsibility led in some way to the neglect that caused the spill.

In a perfect world maybe, but in the real world where we have to live. If you do that, Most of the rigs in the gulf with be leased to other countries and gone for good.

Before you toss the energy producing baby out with the greasy bath water, remember that we have the technology do do this. If We, The People make it perfectly clear that corporations and the people who hide behind them will be held liable for ALL the costs incurred in cleaning up after them, the regulators and all their paperwork would be moot.

Forum List

Back