No need for Catholics to “breed like rabbits” — Pope Francis

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
Speaking to journalists on his flight back from the Philippines, the pope said that he once asked a mother of seven children who was pregnant with her eighth if she wanted to “leave behind seven young orphans”.

“She said, ‘I trust in God.’ But God gave us the means to be responsible,” the pope said. “Some think, and excuse the term, that to be good Catholics, they must be like rabbits.”

No need for Catholics to 8220 breed like rabbits 8221 8212 Pope Francis

Speaking to journalists on his flight back from the Philippines, the pope said that he once asked a mother of seven children who was pregnant with her eighth if she wanted to “leave behind seven young orphans”.

“She said, ‘I trust in God.’ But God gave us the means to be responsible,” the pope said. “Some think, and excuse the term, that to be good Catholics, they must be like rabbits.”

Big families were encouraged in my day. Was Frank handing out papal condoms?

They needed more farm hands before industrialization....

There's no need for some in this country to breed at all. all they breed is hate anyway

Cmon moon...I'm not that old!

Cmon moon...I'm not that old!
If you insist....

God doesn't feed children.

While I have seen nothing to indicate you're right that the pope, uh, loves little boys, priests' choice of sex partners precludes the need for birth control.

There's no need for some in this country to breed at all. all they breed is hate anyway

Stephanie

I'll bet you pee in your own cereal just so you can complain about it.

Stephanie

Tell that to my wife's niece.

Stephanie

Stephanie

Tell that to my wife's niece.

What? That you want Stephanie to pee in her cereal too?

Said it when he first opened his Communist mouth: he's the Obama of Popes, a man who hates and despises the institution he leads and will do everything to destroy it

The fuck he's the Pope so why don't he just make BC and it's good shit.

Obligatory: RCC is an idol worshipping cult.

Let's bring a little context to the Pope's words. The Pope is not voicing approval for birth control. In fact he is upholding the Church's teaching banning contraception. From that point he goes on to say:

-------------------------------------

ABOARD THE PAPAL PLANE – Pope Francis is firmly upholding church teaching banning contraception, but said Monday that Catholics don't have to breed "like rabbits" and should instead practice "responsible parenting."

Speaking to reporters en route home from the Philippines, Francis said there are plenty of church-approved ways to regulate births. But he said most importantly, no outside institution should impose its views on regulating family size, blasting what he called the "ideological colonization" of the developing world.

African bishops, in particular, have long complained about how progressive,
Western ideas about birth control and gay rights are increasingly being imposed on the developing world by groups, institutions or individual nations, often as a condition for development aid.

"Every people deserves to conserve its identity without being ideologically colonized," Francis said.

Pope Francis says Catholics don t have to breed like rabbits Fox News

-------------------

Note the point I highlighted. It appears Western nations and groups are imposing their culture as a condition for extending aid. Pope Francis is against this. I agree with the Pope on this point. Do you agree or disagree that unless developing nations embrace artificial birth control and gay rights, developmental aid should be withheld?

Let's bring a little context to the Pope's words. The Pope is not voicing approval for birth control. In fact he is upholding the Church's teaching banning contraception. From that point he goes on to say:

-------------------------------------

ABOARD THE PAPAL PLANE – Pope Francis is firmly upholding church teaching banning contraception, but said Monday that Catholics don't have to breed "like rabbits" and should instead practice "responsible parenting."

Speaking to reporters en route home from the Philippines, Francis said there are plenty of church-approved ways to regulate births. But he said most importantly, no outside institution should impose its views on regulating family size, blasting what he called the "ideological colonization" of the developing world.

African bishops, in particular, have long complained about how progressive,
Western ideas about birth control and gay rights are increasingly being imposed on the developing world by groups, institutions or individual nations, often as a condition for development aid.

"Every people deserves to conserve its identity without being ideologically colonized," Francis said.

Pope Francis says Catholics don t have to breed like rabbits Fox News

-------------------

Note the point I highlighted. It appears Western nations and groups are imposing their culture as a condition for extending aid. Pope Francis is against this. I agree with the Pope on this point. Do you agree or disagree that unless developing nations embrace artificial birth control and gay rights, developmental aid should be withheld?

Remembering a former pope in Africa, telling the poor and hungry they should not use birth control. What an incredible disconnect. The catholic church/pope have enormous wealth, priests don't have to work to support their kids, don't have to figure out how to feed and educate their kids. And yet, they say the poor should not use birth control.

Part of the the definition of "responsible parenting" is using birth control.

BTW, just what are those "church-approved ways to regulate births"?

Remember the old joke: What do you call people who use the rhythm method for birth control?

Parents.

I am a little surprised that Francis did not find a more elegant way to express that idea. He is a down to earth kinda guy-------but even that made ME a bit uncomfortable

Forum List

Back