No More F's?

Discussion in 'Education' started by chanel, Nov 17, 2010.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    A test for the F

I'm curious whether the students will be expected to learn the material on their own, or if the district will be providing tutors to assist the students with the makeup work. It sounds to me like the teachers will be forced into passing everyone.

Comments?

2. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Yes, because they totally won't fail in real life...

3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I'm also curious about what this teaches young people. Are they going to assume that their employer will be a flexible with work deadlines.

I wonder how long I'd last in my work if I didn't bother to stick to an agreed timescale for work.

Seriously, schools need to prepare kids for the real world, not pander to their lazy asses.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,799
    Isn't this how colleges do it?

I don't know...school is for learning and perhaps this will actually get kids to learn.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Unless a student's placement is totally wrong, they need to work damn hard to earn an 'F'. They need to miss many assignments or at least 3 major ones. They'd also need to bomb tests repeatedly at the 30% level and below.

If a student does not have a major learning problems-mental or physical, does the work and completes their tests, it's nigh impossible to 'fail.' They may be on the cusp between a 'D' and 'F', but the completion of work will put them at the 'D'.

I don't see how more time will change those who choose not to do the work or not write an essay response on tests.

6. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    True. It just seems ludicrous to me to tell kids who already failing; "Here's the Physics book. Teach yourself" Unless these kids are mandated to come after school or on weekends, extra time won't mean a damned thing.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I'll agree if they are trying, the only intervention that would work is alternative teaching. Still, barring the teacher being unreasonable-which would result in a class of multiple failures, the placement is likely wrong.

If a kid has the ability to master the material, shows up daily, does their work, failure is not an option. Now if the student can't read within a couple of grades of grade level, can't write, then the placement is wrong. Obviously I'm addressing secondary student levels.

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    If one assumes that the purpose of education is to educate, rather than to GRADE the student, then this makes sense.

One of the reasons I no longer teach, however, is because I used to flunk students.

I simply refused to pass people just because they played sports, had parents active in the PTA or whatever reason people (usally the administration) were using to pressure me to pass students who hadn't learned the material.

I was/am so out of step with most theories of education, folks.

I still think the only purpose of a teacher is to teach his or her subject matter to the kids.

We're not life coaches, morality police, prison guards, janitors, or role models.

Demanding that we do what the parents are supposed to be doing, is just putting a burden on teachers that we're mostly ill equipped to carry.

If the kid didn't want to learn what I was teaching, they could sleep or they could leave, but they could not interupt me or molest their fellow students.

Very few administrators were sympathic to my educational modus operandi.

Ironically, most of the students truly interested in learning the subjects I taught were sympathetic to my propensity of throwing disruptive students out of class.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    You just backed up my earlier points, leading to where the 'F's' are coming from. The kids are not doing the work, often not coming to class, and bomb tests that they do complete. They are unlikely to show more effort given more time. Then will the board really turn the "I" to an "F"? I've always refused to change grades without valid reason, if an administrator does, it's their change and contrary to the grade book kept.

10. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Yea.... they're learning to be responsible adults.... by handing their shit in on time.

Personally, I think cutting kids this kind of slack does not help them in the long run. Bad message to teach kids.