No More Citizenship To Babies Born To Illegals In the U.S.?

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
I like it.

-----

WASHINGTON — Groups upset about illegal immigration and some Republican lawmakers say that any reform — such as the one proposed by President Bush — must include a provision to end birthright citizenship for the children of illegal immigrants and temporary workers.

Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo., who heads a 90-member caucus pushing to tighten immigration laws, has introduced his proposal to deny citizenship to U.S.-born children of temporary immigrant workers.

He said the provision was vital because immigrants do not want to leave after their visas expire if their children are U.S. citizens.

In addition, Rep. Nathan Deal, R-Ga., has proposed a measure that would amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to limit automatic citizenship at birth to children of U.S. citizens and lawful residents.

And Rep. Mark Foley, R-Jupiter, introduced a constitutional amendment that would eliminate birthright citizenship for the children of illegal immigrants.

Most scholars believe a constitutional amendment is necessary to change the birthright citizenship provision, but some disagree because of different interpretations of the 14th Amendment. Changing the Constitution requires ratification by three-fourths of the states.

Any legislative statutes passed by Congress that eliminate birthright citizenship would be immediately challenged in the courts, experts said.

The House Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security and Claims will hold a hearing today on birthright citizenship, dual citizenship and their impact on national sovereignty. Several legal experts are scheduled to testify.

Dan Stein, president of the Federation for American Immigration Reform, a national group that lobbies to reduce illegal immigration, said the lure of U.S. citizenship for children is a "huge incentive" for people to come to the United States illegally because it opens the door to many social benefits.

Once grown, the U.S.-born children of illegal immigrants can petition for their parents' residency, and family reunification is often cited as a reason for amnesty proposals.

"We're bestowing citizenship without consent, without our consent... to people who have not subjected themselves to U.S. jurisdiction," said Stein. "We're allowing other countries to manipulate our laws."

But immigrant advocates and Hispanic groups counter that employment is the major motivator for illegal immigration and that support for ending birthright citizenship is simply a sign of anti-immigrant sentiment.

"The only thing that this kind of change gets you... is stateless people, which doesn't solve any problem," said Cecilia Munoz, vice president for policy at the National Council of La Raza, a Hispanic civil rights organization.

Under the proposals, U.S.-born children of illegal immigrants or temporary workers would have unclear citizenship and become an official second class without the same protections as everyone else born and raised in the United States, Munoz said.

"This is not a matter of immigration policy, this is a matter of changing who we are fundamentally as a nation," she added.

The United States grants citizenship to every child born in the United States with the exception of children of foreign diplomats, who keep the citizenship of their home country.

One other exception, which would deny citizenship to the children of members of an occupying force, has never been an issue in the United States, said Peter Spiro, an international law professor at the University of Georgia School of Law who is testifying at today's hearing.

Spiro said proposals to change the birthright citizenship have been around since the mid-1990s and have never come to fruition.

"It's part now of our entrenched constitutional tradition that all children born in the territory of the United States are deemed citizens at birth," he said.

The tradition dates to English common law, and the right has been ratified through several court decisions, he said.

In addition, the 14th Amendment states that "all persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States."

Colorado Rep. Tancredo and others contend that the amendment does not apply to children of illegal immigrants because they are not "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States.

Spiro said the amendment's wording is ambiguous but that the courts would likely strike down any legislation that tried to change the granting of birthright citizenship.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/politics/content/nation/epaper/2005/09/29/a7a_birthright_0929.html

That's my Congressman...

I actually talked with him about this during the 2004 Caucuses. He and I see eye to eye on this particular issue.

In order to gain US citizenship a person born in the US should have at least one parent who is a US citizen....just because a person is born in the US does not mean they should be entitled to US citizenship...I do not believe our writers of the constitution had this in mind...to just breach the border in order to gain the rights of citizenship...this has turned out to be a fiasco..and should be corrected immediately!

BRAVO!!
give them less and less to come across the boarder for and sooner or later they wont come because there is no citizenry, life or health bennies, or work. well squeeze them out sooner or later

I do not believe our writers of the constitution had this in mind...to just breach the border in order to gain the rights of citizenship

Actually, what is it that is carved at the base of the statue of liberty? "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free, the Wretched refuse of your teeming shore; Send these, your homeless, tempest-tost to me. I lift my lamp beside the Golden Door." Or something like that. If birth isn't a prerequisite for citizenship, then what right do any of us whities have to be here? My ancestors sure as hell weren't Indians.

History of Immigration

Hagbard Celine said:
Actually, what is it that is carved at the base of the statue of liberty? "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free, the Wretched refuse of your teeming shore; Send these, your homeless, tempest-tost to me. I lift my lamp beside the Golden Door." Or something like that. If birth isn't a prerequisite for citizenship, then what right do any of us whities have to be here? My ancestors sure as hell weren't Indians.

History of Immigration

some of mine were native Americans..what is your point other than being the opposition..it also does not say on the statue..give me your illegals or freeloaders!

Hagbard Celine said:

History of Immigration

What you are failing to mention is, the people coming here through Ellis Island were coming here LEGALLY. Which is exactly the opposite of illegally...which is the problem with pregnant women sneaking across the border so they can give birth here and avoid being deported.

I have no problem with immigration, I have a few immigrants in my family as well as Native Americans, but they must come legally.

Hagbard Celine said:

History of Immigration

Legal immigration = Good thing. Its what this coutnry was founded on.

Illegal Immigration = Bad thing. Its what will tear this country apart.

There are many underlying reasons why illegal immigration is bad but the main reason for me is being able to track them. Legal immigrants get social security numbers. They pay taxes through their jobs. They contribute back to the society. Illegal immigrants come here and get lost in the crowd. They work under the table because they have no SSN or ID. They don't pay ANY taxes. They live off of society.

insein said:
Legal immigration = Good thing. Its what this coutnry was founded on.

Illegal Immigration = Bad thing. Its what will tear this country apart.

There are many underlying reasons why illegal immigration is bad but the main reason for me is being able to track them. Legal immigrants get social security numbers. They pay taxes through their jobs. They contribute back to the society. Illegal immigrants come here and get lost in the crowd. They work under the table because they have no SSN or ID. They don't pay ANY taxes. They live off of society.

As long as businesses are able and willing to hire them this situation will continue. What's being done about it on that end? This is another one of those issues like abortion. Politicians love to talk about it and the public is all wound up but nobody is willing to change the status quo.

Nuc said:
As long as businesses are able and willing to hire them this situation will continue. What's being done about it on that end? This is another one of those issues like abortion. Politicians love to talk about it and the public is all wound up but nobody is willing to change the status quo.
if business keep hiring the illegals, then they need to be made to pay fines. if the are repeat offenders, they need to be made to pay progresive fines. if that fails, yank the license, they obviously dont care for the rules.

Johnney said:
if business keep hiring the illegals, then they need to be made to pay fines. if the are repeat offenders, they need to be made to pay progresive fines. if that fails, yank the license, they obviously dont care for the rules.

I agree. My point is that the same politicians who like to use it as a campaign issue are not doing anything about it in reality.
:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Nuc said:
I agree. My point is that the same politicians who like to use it as a campaign issue are not doing anything about it in reality.
:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
then they are lying and it needs to be brought up to their attention. now i know its looks good on paper (or screen as the fact is), but for real we all need to do something about it. illegal immigration is out of control and you and me and every tax payer is paying for it.

Most common sense thing I've seen recently. Always struck me as weird that illegal parents could give birth to a US citizen. If we are in Mexico, and had children there, our children would be US citizens, wouldn't dream of having the children claim to be Mexican.

I do not believe our writers of the constitution had this in mind...to just breach the border in order to gain the rights of citizenship…
Your response was.......

Hagbard Celine said:

History of Immigration

You are becoming an embarrassment to UGA, kid.

Hey, read the history of immigration. In 1790, the rule was: "that any alien, being a free white person, may be admitted to become a citizen of the United States"

The "framers" we always talk about couldn't have ever predicted how the future would turn out. Up until the 1800s, nobody even thought about immigration laws. People just came on shore from Europe and if you were brown, you were a slave. In fact, immigration wasn't even the responsibility of the federal government until 1875. So what was carved on the statue of liberty accurately reflected the immigration opinions of the framers.

The gauntlet is thrown... :dance:

I'm in on the provision that at least one parent must be a citizen.

Another option I read about somewhere was a proposal to defer citizenship until the parents became immigrants in good standing. At that point the kid is "grandfathered" as a native born citizen. Mom-n-Pop become naturalized eventually.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that a parent must be a citizen for the child to get citizenship. I'd draw the line at legal resident (long term).

Hobbit said:
I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that a parent must be a citizen for the child to get citizenship. I'd draw the line at legal resident (long term).

Cannot agree. I would be afraid that 'legal resident (long term)' = non citizen. That would set up a discrimination suit saying that we were discriminating against a "class" of non-citizens. Our courts are screwy, I don't wish to leave them an out. Funny thing, The reason most natural born American citizens take it (citizenship) for granted is it wasn't earned.

Forum List

Back