No More Anonymous Sources?

DoctorT

Rookie
May 19, 2017
Hi!

Most Americans would agree that the credibility of journalists is at its lowest. According to a 2017 Pew Research Center survey, “Just one-fifth of adults say they trust information they get from national news organizations 'a lot'.” [1] The low opinion of Americans about journalists is not new. A 2016 Gallup poll showed that only 32% of Americans trusted the mass media “ to report the news fully, accurately, and fairly.” [2]

I opine that, to restore credibility, except in very rare occasions, journalists ought to “take a page” from the Constitution's Confrontation Clause and stop using anonymous sources.

What do you think? Are you in favor or not?

Dr. Anthony (DoctorT) Rodriguez

Endnotes

[1] Barthel, M. and Mitchell, A. (2017, May 10). Americans' Attitude Toward the News Media. Washington, DC: Pew Research Center.

[2] Swift, A. (2016, September 14). Americans' Trust in Mass Media Sinks to New Low. Washington, DC: Gallup.

What constitutes "rare occasions"?

That can be just as arbitrary.

Last edited:
  • Banned
I believe media should be subject to the same slander and liable laws as anyone else.
Dear Billy,

Thank you for your reply.

I agree. Unfortunately. Regarding public officials, libel laws require proof of actual malice, which means that (1) “the story was published with the knowledge that it was false” and (2) “the story was published with reckless disregard of whether or not it was false.” [1]

Doctor T

Endnote

[1] Rogers, T. (2016, April 22). For aspiring journalists, here are the basics of libel and libel law. New York, NY: ThoughtCo. URL: The World's Largest Education Resource

• Banned
What constitutes "rare occasions"? That can be just as arbitrary.
Dear Desir,

Right! I was relying, perhaps erroneously, on the power of common sense.

Doctor T

I believe media should be subject to the same slander and liable laws as anyone else.
Dear Billy,

I agree. Unfortunately. Regarding public officials, libel laws require proof of actual malice, which means that (1) “the story was published with the knowledge that it was false” and (2) “the story was published with reckless disregard of whether or not it was false.” [1]

Doctor T

Endnote

[1] Rogers, T. (2016, April 22). For aspiring journalists, here are the basics of libel and libel law. New York, NY: ThoughtCo. URL: The World's Largest Education Resource

Change the law.

What constitutes "rare occasions"? That can be just as arbitrary.
Dear Desir,

Right! I was relying, perhaps erroneously, on the power of common sense.

Doctor T

I think the rebuff is going to have to come from the people because it appears to be in short supply elsewhere. If the people reject it then there might be.......................something close to hope.

Forum List

Back