No More ____

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
NOMORE.org NO MORE Domestic Violence and Sexual AssaultHome NOMORE.org NO MORE Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault

Given the heightened public focus on the Ray Rice case, I found more charities focused on preventing, healing and STOPPING abuse. Instead of acting like this is just a given, and "boys will be boys" -- there is indeed a growing conscious commitment to wipe out abuse and rape. Finally!

Here are more charities I found out about recently that are breaking the cycle of abuse, not just collecting more donations on a never ending problem the way Cancer fundraisers have become that don't focus on wiping it out.

http://www.joyfulheartfoundation.org./

The Rape Foundation Bringing state-of-the-art comprehensive care to rape victims and sexually abused children

When people are truly HEALED then the whole cycle and Mentality of victimhood ends. And the healing is multiplied; all the participants and volunteers are changed and the positive message and energy spreads.

That is the difference between outreach groups that just placate and enable, but never solve the root problem.

If you see groups that rally around an issue and target anger with blame demanding justice as in retribution, that approach doesn't solve the cause of the problem but just focuses on the symptoms and aftermath, so those efforts are not sustainable.

The organizations that invest in permanent solutions and free up people and resources to multiply and invest forward are sustainable, so that's what I look for.

If you have favorite models for SUSTAINABLE programs, such a microlending and training to break the cycle of poverty, abuse, oppression and victimhood, please feel free to post those links here. So we can DISCUSS what makes a solution SUSTAINABLE, which organizations serve as good models and why?

Thanks for sharing any ideas or suggestions you think more groups should be modeled after!

Good topic.

Don't expect boys to be like girls, Emily, though. Paula Quinn tried an article like that a decade or more ago, and she became very angry when the boy writers told her to knock it off or they would ignore her from then on out. She wised up and has written sensible articles since on the issue.

Last edited:
The worst thing that could happen on this topic would be to turn it into a hash-tag. The next to worst thing would be to use it to further emasculate young men. Hitting is usually wrong, but that doesn't mean males who show aggression are always wrong.

It's important to NOT all of the sudden pretend there is some mass hysteria of men beating women and kids. Most men do not do either. Regardless the subject is important, but not as important as the culture of people in sports (college and pro) and the desire to win and the lack of morality from the top down. Vince Lombardi would have beaten his players himself if they had acted with violence toward a woman or child, and they would have taken it without question.

These charities are noble and worthy of every ounce of support. They do good work. Great topic.

just glad that my boy is grown and is traditional and a Gentleman , married with kids . Young boys are being made into wusses IMO so I'm glad that my kids are outa the clutches of the experts !!

Forum List

Back