No More 100-Watters After Jan 1 - Phooey!

Now all we have ro do is buy a hazmat suit when the bulbs break find a place that they can be safely discard. And buy them more times than they are worth when they don'r work.

Yes, we've bought two or three of the CFL bulbs that didn't last a week due to some malfunction.

And the thing is, when the bulbs burn out it is one small bulb. I would beat an expensive steak dinner that most people don't go to the trouble of repackaging and labeling that bulb and going to the trouble to get it to a hazmat receiving center, if they even know where one is. Nope, everybody I've talked to says they pitch it in the trash. It's just one small bulb. So with 300 million citizens using those things, there will be millions and millions, all containing mercury, going into the landfills.

You know those 100-watt light bulbs we have used for decades? Come January 1st, they become illegal. You won't be able to get them any more. God knows what will replace them. Whatever it is, it can't be good. Maybe those curly little sons of bitches that take ten minutes to begin producing light? I sure hope there's something available better than that.

I was listening to Levin this afternoon. He was grousing about this ban on the 100-watt bulb, noting that our politicians gave lip service to repealing the law on the eve of its going into effect, but didn't have the balls to follow through. He bitched about how "liberals" were prone to pass nanny laws like this, dictating what we can and cannot have for our personal use, failing to mention that this law was passed during the El-Busho administration.

Oh well - this really isn't a partisan issue. It's a BULL SHIT issue. Write your congressman/senator. Threaten to vote his/her ass out of office unless this mother gets repealed.

That is all.

George

Pssst I have 2 cases of them in my basement...keep your eyes peeled to ebay but expect to pay 3x what you are paying for them now ;)

Now all we have ro do is buy a hazmat suit when the bulbs break find a place that they can be safely discard. And buy them more times than they are worth when they don'r work.

Yes, we've bought two or three of the CFL bulbs that didn't last a week due to some malfunction.

And the thing is, when the bulbs burn out it is one small bulb. I would beat an expensive steak dinner that most people don't go to the trouble of repackaging and labeling that bulb and going to the trouble to get it to a hazmat receiving center, if they even know where one is. Nope, everybody I've talked to says they pitch it in the trash. It's just one small bulb. So with 300 million citizens using those things, there will be millions and millions, all containing mercury, going into the landfills.

I'll admit I've just toss em in the trash like I always have. Although I haven't had one burn out since I was told about not tossing them in the trash....still..if one burns out I'm probably just going to throw it away like any other trash.

Sounds like a fixture malfunction. You aren't using them with a dimmer, are you?

You know those 100-watt light bulbs we have used for decades? Come January 1st, they become illegal. You won't be able to get them any more. God knows what will replace them. Whatever it is, it can't be good. Maybe those curly little sons of bitches that take ten minutes to begin producing light? I sure hope there's something available better than that.

I was listening to Levin this afternoon. He was grousing about this ban on the 100-watt bulb, noting that our politicians gave lip service to repealing the law on the eve of its going into effect, but didn't have the balls to follow through. He bitched about how "liberals" were prone to pass nanny laws like this, dictating what we can and cannot have for our personal use, failing to mention that this law was passed during the El-Busho administration.

Oh well - this really isn't a partisan issue. It's a BULL SHIT issue. Write your congressman/senator. Threaten to vote his/her ass out of office unless this mother gets repealed.

That is all.

George

Take my 100 watters ... I don't care. But dare lay a hand on my 30/70/100 three-way and we're going to have a problem.

That is all.

George

Pssst I have 2 cases of them in my basement...keep your eyes peeled to ebay but expect to pay 3x what you are paying for them now ;)

I've been stocking up for several months now ... all wattage.

That is all.

George

I left the 40 watters and below alone...just 60, 75, and 100.....I'm an evil opportunistic capitalist what can I say :lol:

I left the 40 watters and below alone...just 60, 75, and 100.....I'm an evil opportunistic capitalist what can I say :lol:

I prefer my lights a bit dimmer. I went for the 30/70/100 three-ways, 40, 60 and some 75's.

Sounds like a fixture malfunction. You aren't using them with a dimmer, are you?

Nope, a couple were in our dining room ceiling fan fixture and the other in the ceiling fan fixture in our office--both use mutliple bulbs. No dimmer and the replacement bulbs have worked fine. It was just a flaw in those particular bulbs that we paid $2 or $3 each for--all bought at Lowes at about the same time. Annoying to say the least. I don't think I've ever had an incandescent bulb malfunction in all these decades.

Nope, a couple were in our dining room ceiling fan fixture and the other in the ceiling fan fixture in our office--both use mutliple bulbs. No dimmer and the replacement bulbs have worked fine. It was just a flaw in those particular bulbs that we paid $2 or $3 each for--all bought at Lowes at about the same time. Annoying to say the least. I don't think I've ever had an incandescent bulb malfunction in all these decades.

Come to think of it we had a couple of intermediate base CFL's where the hot contact at the base didn't make a good connection with the socket.

The free market will most certainly push out the lower quality CFL's.

I've never heard of an abacus malfunctioning, either, maybe we should abandon computers and go back to that.
All incandescents by definition function poorly. Their purpose - to create visible light - is only a fraction of their total energy consumption.

Come to think of it we had a couple of intermediate base CFL's where the hot contact at the base didn't make a good connection with the socket.

The free market will most certainly push out the lower quality CFL's.

I've never heard of an abacus malfunctioning, either, maybe we should abandon computers and go back to that.
All incandescents by definition function poorly. Their purpose - to create visible light - is only a fraction of their total energy consumption.

An abacus can't do what a computer can do. An incandescent light bulb can do a better job than CFLs in lighting a space or room however. And the energy saving is nullified if you need multiple CFLs to achieve adequate light that one incandescent bulb can provide.

Here's a novel idea.

The world had been operating quite efficiently with candles and kerosene lanterns when Thomas Edison wondered if it would be possible to make an electric light bulb. So without any form of government interference or meddling he set about, with much trial and error and failure after failure to do that. And in doing so, he revolutionized light for the world. Did everybody immediately jump to have this new fangled electricity in their homes and work places? Nope. But in a free market unhindered by federal meddling, more and more entreprenours and visionary inventors set about utilizing this new invention until it and not candles and kerosene lanterns became the norm.

Most of our most cherished possessions in our homes and places of work were invented and made available in just that way and continue to get better and more efficient and even cheaper without any government pressure or interference. I was pricing laptops the other day and found one with four inches bigger screen, four times the hard drive space, three times the RAM, and much better cards and operating system for half the price I paid for my trusty Sony several years ago. That is the free market working, not the government.

If the government had stayed out of the electric light business and just let the free market work, there would be somebody, probably in our nearer rather than further away future, who would have come up with something better, cheaper, more efficient, and more environmentally friendly than the incandescent bulb. And some enterprising entreprenour would have retooled to mass produce it and the people would jump at the chance to buy it.

Our government has its place, but in micromanaging things like this, it doesn't do things nearly as competently as the free market will.

There are more efficient ways to heat your home.

Thats what my chainsaw, axe, and logsplitter are for :cool:

Like I said earlier in the thread, I use the squiggly bulbs everywhere but the bathroom mirror, the kitchen over where i'm cooking, and the reading light by my bed. I prefer the light of the incandescents as it is closer to natural than even the soft white CFLs.

I suppose you want to take away my liberty and ability to choose which bulbs I want to use where....don't you...in fact you probably want to take away my liberty to buy incandescents all toghther just like President Bush and the Congress he had when he signed the bill.

Last edited:

Like I said earlier in the thread, I use the squiggly bulbs everywhere but the bathroom mirror, the kitchen over where i'm cooking, and the reading light by my bed. I prefer the light of the incandescents as it is closer to natural than even the soft white CFLs.

I suppose you want to take away my liberty and ability to choose which bulbs I want to use where....don't you...in fact you probably want to take away my liberty to buy incandescents all toghther just like President Bush and the Congress he had when he signed the bill.

You've got all the liberty to use incandescent bulbs that you want. The federal government won't stop you from making your own for your own personal use. Your local building ordinances might, but that's between you and your local government.

You've got all the liberty to use incandescent bulbs that you want. The federal government won't stop you from making your own for your own personal use. Your local building ordinances might, but that's between you and your local govertnment.

Actually I can't...the FEDERAL govt took that liberty away when they made it illegal to make the bulbs.

seriously how many 100 watt bulbs do you use? i use 60 watts except for flood lights......i dont know what they are but since they are in light fixtures designed for them....i dont care....halogen is hotter than normal bulbs..that is why the halogen floor lamp when out of style.....

Scary stuff. I remember driving before seat belts and even cell phones.

How did the older generation ever make it?

Well we only had TV since the 60's for the most part and were not as programmable as when we were younger.

test_pattern.jpg

not exactly PC nowadays either:lol:

Forum List

Back