No More 100-Watters After Jan 1 - Phooey!

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
You know those 100-watt light bulbs we have used for decades? Come January 1st, they become illegal. You won't be able to get them any more. God knows what will replace them. Whatever it is, it can't be good. Maybe those curly little sons of bitches that take ten minutes to begin producing light? I sure hope there's something available better than that.

I was listening to Levin this afternoon. He was grousing about this ban on the 100-watt bulb, noting that our politicians gave lip service to repealing the law on the eve of its going into effect, but didn't have the balls to follow through. He bitched about how "liberals" were prone to pass nanny laws like this, dictating what we can and cannot have for our personal use, failing to mention that this law was passed during the El-Busho administration.

Oh well - this really isn't a partisan issue. It's a BULL SHIT issue. Write your congressman/senator. Threaten to vote his/her ass out of office unless this mother gets repealed.

That is all.

George

Crony Capitalism at it's finest. Guess who stand to gain immensely from the phase out of incandescent light bulbs?? I'll give you a hint....it starts with G and ends with E.

100 watt lightbulbs are scary. They get too hot and start to smell like they are burning. I don't use over 60 watts.

As for their replacement, it will be halogen. It will be even brighter.

It's just like the crude extracting companies hiring the enviro opportunists to make a ruckus about drilling/exploration. It keeps the price of crude up, the enviro opportunists get their cut & all the peons get phuked with higher prices. These get rich fast schemes have been going on forever. A sound precious metal backed currency would stop this bullshit.

You know those 100-watt light bulbs we have used for decades? Come January 1st, they become illegal. You won't be able to get them any more. God knows what will replace them. Whatever it is, it can't be good. Maybe those curly little sons of bitches that take ten minutes to begin producing light? I sure hope there's something available better than that.

I was listening to Levin this afternoon. He was grousing about this ban on the 100-watt bulb, noting that our politicians gave lip service to repealing the law on the eve of its going into effect, but didn't have the balls to follow through. He bitched about how "liberals" were prone to pass nanny laws like this, dictating what we can and cannot have for our personal use, failing to mention that this law was passed during the El-Busho administration.

Oh well - this really isn't a partisan issue. It's a BULL SHIT issue. Write your congressman/senator. Threaten to vote his/her ass out of office unless this mother gets repealed.

That is all.

George

Crony Capitalism at it's finest. Guess who stand to gain immensely from the phase out of incandescent light bulbs?? I'll give you a hint....it starts with G and ends with E.

George?

George Bush?

I knew it! It's Bush's fault!

I guess I can live without 100w bulbs.

There's always using more bulbs if necessary.

It's just like the crude extracting companies hiring the enviro opportunists to make a ruckus about drilling/exploration. It keeps the price of crude up, the enviro opportunists get their cut & all the peons get phuked with higher prices. These get rich fast schemes have been going on forever. A sound precious metal backed currency would stop this bullshit.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

I guess I can live without 100w bulbs.

There's always using more bulbs if necessary.

But doesnt that defeat the purpose of trying to get people to use more efficent bulbs?

Its like the low flush toilets all over again. The Generation 1 units were so terrible it took 2-3 flushes to get rid of everything in the bowl, defeating the purpose of getting the low flushers entirely.

The Gen 2 and 3 units are better, at least, but when those new regualtions came in the ones availible were crap (pun intended)

George?

George Bush?

Hate to mention it, and I think I said in the OP I didn't consider this to be a partisan topic, but the law in question was signed into law by the guy you refer to here . . .

Just sayin' . . .

Lamp makers will start making lamps that take two or even three bulbs. There are already two lamp bulbs.

You will still be able to get high powerd incandescent bulbs. As specialties. Incandescent bulbs give off a different kind of light than LED or flourescent. It is a more natural kind of light. Ott will still make those bulbs, they will just cost about $15.00 each.

George?

George Bush?

Hate to mention it, and I think I said in the OP I didn't consider this to be a partisan topic, but the law in question was signed into law by the guy you refer to here . . .

Just sayin' . . .

The Pelosi/Reid congress ran the bill through. And further attempts to repeal it by Republicans were shut down by Democrats.

....Just sayin', since you're not making it partisan and all.

Repubs started this but according to this, they also ended it.
LEDs Magazine - US House votes down incandescent bulb-ban bill

Is this the latest word?

Phase-out of incandescent light bulbs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is this? I doubt it.

In any event, we've been using the energy savers for a while now and wouldn't go back to incandescent. They really are a lot cheaper and put out sufficient light for most uses.

The real issue here is that most pubs don't want to do anything that might be good for the environment.

Repubs started this but according to this, they also ended it.
LEDs Magazine - US House votes down incandescent bulb-ban bill

Is this the latest word?

Phase-out of incandescent light bulbs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is this? I doubt it.

In any event, we've been using the energy savers for a while now and wouldn't go back to incandescent. They really are a lot cheaper and put out sufficient light for most uses.

The real issue here is that most pubs don't want to do anything that might be good for the environment.

If you think the new light bulbs are good for the environment you don't know anything about the new light bulbs.

George?

George Bush?

Just sayin' . . .

The Pelosi/Reid congress ran the bill through. And further attempts to repeal it by Republicans were shut down by Democrats.

....Just sayin', since you're not making it partisan and all.

Run through the post history on this particular issue and check out Xotoxi's original post. He's the person that brought politicis into it. I said in the OP I didn't want to make it political. All I was doing was responding to him.

But since we seem to be there, my recollection is that the law was proposed during the Bush administration. I think he signed it into law as well. As far as "attempts by Republicans to shut the bill down," my understanding is that this is a bunch of disingenuous bull shit. The last I heard on this in a Meet the Press two weeks ago was that Boner and some other Republicans were posing as wanting to repeal the law and giving lip service to doing so, but nothing was being done and it didn't look like anything was going to be done.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back