No military retiree COLA this year.

Considering the fact my property tax evaluation went up 3.2% from the previous year from the county even though home values in the county went down up to 35% and considering the fact my APS bill went up, so did the phone, and the cost of food it would appear thats a cost of living went up to me. Maybe I should just tell them I'm automatically adjusting everything to last year because they are not getting a COLA and see how long it takes for the lights to go off. It's one thing to say you support the military it's a whole other thing to actually do it.

Because CPI had increased in the previous year.

Didn't we have $4 gas that year?

Yes and that is the reason they are claiming that there was no increase in Cost of Living, because Gasoline dropped so much from it's high. My point is that Older people on fixed income don't drive near as much as they used to so the price of gas doesn't really affect them so much. It's the groceries and other things that have gone up that hurt more.

They use the entire CPI, not just the price of gas.

Yes and that is the reason they are claiming that there was no increase in Cost of Living, because Gasoline dropped so much from it's high. My point is that Older people on fixed income don't drive near as much as they used to so the price of gas doesn't really affect them so much. It's the groceries and other things that have gone up that hurt more.

Do you have a problem with comprehension? Or do you think I am stupid? I know that they use the entire spectrum, however, they specifically mentioned the cost of gasoline going down as what caused the steady overall rates.

So that maybe you can understand Gas down, everything else up...........

Because CPI had increased in the previous year.

but old folks need to stay warm and heating oil, nat gas and propane went thru the roof as well.

but old folks need to stay warm and heating oil, nat gas and propane went thru the roof as well.

No shit, my natural gas bill averaged $300 a month last year. No Idea what it will be this year as I have new doors and a third of the Windows replaced.

So far nat gas and propane prices are substantially cheaper than last year.

Of course as soon as the cold weather hit the greedy bastiches drove up the prices.

Last edited:
Considering the fact my property tax evaluation went up 3.2% from the previous year from the county even though home values in the county went down up to 35% and considering the fact my APS bill went up, so did the phone, and the cost of food it would appear thats a cost of living went up to me. Maybe I should just tell them I'm automatically adjusting everything to last year because they are not getting a COLA and see how long it takes for the lights to go off. It's one thing to say you support the military it's a whole other thing to actually do it.

When did property tax evaluations last occur in your jurisdiction? I know people in my town where pissed off because the average evaluation increased 50 percent, and they asked how was that reasonable when home prices were declining. They didn't stop to think that even though home prices had declined compared to last year, they were still much higher than in 2000 (which was when the last evaluation occurred).

Do you have a problem with comprehension? Or do you think I am stupid? I know that they use the entire spectrum, however, they specifically mentioned the cost of gasoline going down as what caused the steady overall rates.

I already know you're stupid. You make enough ignorant and ill-informed comments that you either have to stupid or a pathological liar, and I'm a generous guy so I take the kinder position.

When gas is down, and some other things are up (but not everything, as you claim), and gas is down by more than other things are up, the overall cost has decreased.

There will be NO military retiree COLA adjustment to our monthly checks ladies and gents....

Maybe next year....

Military retirees should get a bump up every year regardless.

Now see, if they wanted to make the argument you're making, that's fine. I'd disagree, but it would be matter of philosophy. The argument in this thread isn't a philosophical one though, it's about some people wanting to deny objective reality.

There will be NO military retiree COLA adjustment to our monthly checks ladies and gents....

Maybe next year....

Now see, if they wanted to make the argument you're making, that's fine. I'd disagree, but it would be matter of philosophy. The argument in this thread isn't a philosophical one though, it's about some people wanting to deny objective reality.

Yeah I am no book keeper or economist so the whole cola math formula is not a strong point for me it is just my opinion that some one who dedicated their life to our nations defense should basically get as much as we can give.

Yeah I am no book keeper or economist so the whole cola math formula is not a strong point for me it is just my opinion that some one who dedicated their life to our nations defense should basically get as much as we can give.

I think they're entitled to a safe and secure income in retirement and that we can do better on that, but disagree with the notion of increases without regard to anything else.

I already know you're stupid. You make enough ignorant and ill-informed comments that you either have to stupid or a pathological liar, and I'm a generous guy so I take the kinder position.

When gas is down, and some other things are up (but not everything, as you claim), and gas is down by more than other things are up, the overall cost has decreased.

And here I thought that was exactly what I said. In different words of course. But you want to take a page out of curvelights book and make a personal attack. That's OK, show us your intelligence.

I think they're entitled to a safe and secure income in retirement and that we can do better on that, but disagree with the notion of increases without regard to anything else.

Safe and secure....I wouldn't call my Retirement income either one. In fact if I had to live off of it I would be in section 8 housing on food stamps.

And here I thought that was exactly what I said. In different words of course. But you want to take a page out of curvelights book and make a personal attack. That's OK, show us your intelligence.

That's not what you said. You claimed that even though prices were up overall, they went "Oh, gas prices are down, therefore prices are down", and made their decision based on that. And save the bellyaching about personal attacks for someone else. You brought it in the discussion with "Do you have a problem with comprehension?" If you can't stand the heat, keep your ass out of the kitchen.

Safe and secure....I wouldn't call my Retirement income either one. In fact if I had to live off of it I would be in section 8 housing on food stamps.

As I said, we can and should do better on that front.

That's not what you said. You claimed that even though prices were up overall, they went "Oh, gas prices are down, therefore prices are down", and made their decision based on that. And save the bellyaching about personal attacks for someone else. You brought it in the discussion with "Do you have a problem with comprehension?" If you can't stand the heat, keep your ass out of the kitchen.

So you do have a problem with comprehension. I'll remember to type slowly.

I can all agree military retirees should get more money and CEO's less. Going off to war, joining the military, is a pretty crazy honorable thing to be doing.

If not the CPI is there a better number to tie the cost of living increases to? This is worded poorly but something akin to AARP member CPI, meaning cost of living for those over xx years of age? We can suggest this be put into new contracts soldiers in 2011 sign when they enlist.

I agree. They signed their contract and get more than they signed for anyway if retired becuase of past COLA raises.
I do think they(active duty) should be better paid, but continuous raises to retirees are not right.

They were predicting that based off of inflationary expectations. If inflation is above expectations, there would be a cost of living increase.

right....but here's what you are missing polk...as usual....
When the value of our currency drops faster than prices go up you have a NEGATIVE impact on inflation since the cost of living is measured in CURRENT dollar values, not the previous years dollar value on the world currency market and there is NO adjustment for it's value on the world market.

I'm not missing anything. I agree that it's problematic that cost of living adjustments are based on price change in the previous year and not the current rate of price change, but that problem isn't specific to the Obama administration. That's always been the case and will likely always be the case.

Point taken but that's no excuse for not giving us a small raise to compensate for our worthless dollar.

New Topics

Forum List

Back