No Live Ammo Allowed!!

No military personal are allowed ammunition unless in a combat zone or in training.
When I was on gaurd duty at the airport at Fort Hood, 1st cav, I was given two shotgun shell to put in my pocket in case I needed to use the shotgun issued to me, but, i could not keep it loaded.

Based on your experience, if the marines had such ammo in their pockets....would they have had time to load and use same?

And, therefore, doesn't that speak to the issue in question?

Last edited:
"Collins said she was concerned by the lack of security at the Benghazi consulate, especially since there had been an attack on the mission in June and a more serious attack on the British ambassador's convoy as well. Olsen said the U.S. government was aware of the danger but not of impending attack that killed the four Americans."
Obama official: Benghazi was a terrorist attack | The Cable

"....lack of security..."???

Is ammunition part of 'security'?

Any dead attackers?

Not that I know of, but that doesn't necessarily answer the question.

Trained Marines with ammo defending themselves would have ensured some dead attackers... It answers the question for me.

I agree trained Marines with ammunition would have left at least some potential threats dead. The question of ammunition is specific to the Egyptian embassy. I don't know the details of that breach, but I haven't heard that any Marines were put in a position that required them to defend themselves.

"Collins said she was concerned by the lack of security at the Benghazi consulate, especially since there had been an attack on the mission in June and a more serious attack on the British ambassador's convoy as well. Olsen said the U.S. government was aware of the danger but not of impending attack that killed the four Americans."

In your article the accusations that Marines were not permitted to carry ammunition is specific to the Egyptian embassy, not the consulate in Benghazi. I've read there were no Marines present at the consulate anyway so the question would be moot.

The actual, official statement from the USMC entirely contradicts the rest of the linked article. It is tucked away in one of the last few paragraphs and then contradicted by Free Beacon's anonymous sources.

A Marine spokesperson at the Pentagon denied the Free Beacon’s report in a statement to Fox News.

Pentagon Lt. Col. Chris Hughes told the outlet: “The ambassador and RSO (Regional Security Officer) have been completely and appropriately engaged with the security situation. No restrictions on weapons or weapons status have been imposed. This information comes from the Det Commander at AMEMB (American Embassy) Cairo.”

Several sources familiar with foreign embassies in international hotspots who contacted the Free Beacon said that the U.S. government often adheres to a policy of not permitting security officers and other personnel to carry loaded weapons.

Note that these sources didn't claim personnel were prohibited to carry live ammunition, as is claimed early on in the article, but rather that their weapons could not be loaded. Big difference between having live ammunition on your person, but not in your weapon, compared to not at all.

If all of this is to critique the lack of security in Benghazi, it should be mentioned that according to the NYT article there were no Marines at the consulate anyway at the time of the attack. I think things would have occurred differently if there were, though I don't know if there is anyone to blame for the lack of security. John Kerry said in the same article that the Ambassador was at that site by happenstance, making a pitstop along his travels.

Welcome to the board.

While I can imagine the motivation for the official 'Marine spokesperson at the Pentagon' to 'contradict the rest of the linked article,'

...I wonder if you could conjecture as to why 'Marine blogs say U.S. embassy did not authorize service members to carry ammo.'

A blog vis a vis an offical Marine spokesperson. Duh.

In your article the accusations that Marines were not permitted to carry ammunition is specific to the Egyptian embassy, not the consulate in Benghazi. I've read there were no Marines present at the consulate anyway so the question would be moot.

"CNN: LIBYA AMBASSADOR DIARY SHOWED WORRIES ABOUT BENGHAZI SECURITY"
CNN: Libya Ambassador Diary Showed Worries About Benghazi Security

This story has already been debunked.

1. Crystal clear that you are full of beans.

2. For your edification:

debunked (Verb)
Verb:
Expose the falseness or hollowness of (a myth, idea, or belief).

3. The story below was posted within the last two hours, and states that the only problem for the lying Obama administration was that CNN published the story without giving them a chance to spin the tale, so that dim-wits could say that it was 'debunked.'

"Three days after Ambassador Chris Stevens was killed in Benghazi, Libya, CNN found a seven-page handwritten journal he had written. That journal, found on the floor of what CNN called "the largely unsecured consulate compound where he was fatally wounded", contained obviously newsworthy information: specifically that "in the months leading up to his death, the late ambassador worried about what he called the security threats in Benghazi and a rise in Islamic extremism". CNN also reported that Stevens "mentioned his name was on an al Qaeda hit list".

After finding the journal, CNN personnel did the only thing which any minimally competent journalist would and should do: they read it, identified the parts that were in the public interest, confirmed their authenticity with independent sources, and then reported those facts to the world. They also notified Stevens' family of what they had found.

In response to this reporting, State Department spokesman Philippe Reines issued a blistering, unusually aggressive attack on the news network. Denouncing CNN's conduct as "disgusting", Reines invoked Stevens' family to insist that CNN had done something unconscionable:

"What they're not owning up to is reading and transcribing Chris's diary well before bothering to tell the family or anyone else that they took it from the site of the attack. Or that when they finally did tell them, they completely ignored the wishes of the family, and ultimately broke their pledge made to them only hours after they witnessed the return to the United States of Chris's remains."
State department attacks CNN for doing basic journalism | Glenn Greenwald | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

To review:
a. The Obama policies in the Middle East have been a failure.

b. Ambassador Stevens was correctly worried...and no support was give to him by the administration.

c. The falsehood that some apocryphal film caused the attacks was attempted to be used as a cover....but blown by the Libyan President.

d. And most poignant, you look for opportunities to support this inept fraudulent executive, rather than support the truth.

Forum List

Back