No job, no money, no problem...........

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
Seems that there's a man who has decided that money isn't what he wants out of life, and has managed to live without for several years...................

Have you ever had enough of the grind, and dreamed of chucking it all and live off the grid? No bills. No tax man. No boss. And no money.

Daniel Suelo did exactly that. Twelve years ago, Suelo had $30 to his name. He left it in a phone booth and walked away from normal society. He actually quit using money and appears relatively happy.

Our readers had a lot to say about this story. (Note to some of our readers: Not everything is about Obamacare. Really. Sometimes a story is just a story.)

“There's nothing wrong with being a little more self-sustaining and a little less consumer oriented. Few of us could do what Mr. Suelo has done, but I think his goal has some admirable qualities,” wrote one reader.

But another reader wrote: “Call it what you will but until he stops scrounging through societies leavings and accepting its charity he hasn't dropped out of anything. He's sponging, pure and simple.”

Life Inc. - Buzz: No money, no jobs, no retirement

Now, some people would call this person homeless, or a bum, or something else, but is it really important to have cash for living? He seems happy, and has been able to blog about his experience by posting it from a local public library.

So, what do the rest of you think about this guy?

Me personally? I admire him.

Seems that there's a man who has decided that money isn't what he wants out of life, and has managed to live without for several years...................

Have you ever had enough of the grind, and dreamed of chucking it all and live off the grid? No bills. No tax man. No boss. And no money.

Daniel Suelo did exactly that. Twelve years ago, Suelo had $30 to his name. He left it in a phone booth and walked away from normal society. He actually quit using money and appears relatively happy.

Our readers had a lot to say about this story. (Note to some of our readers: Not everything is about Obamacare. Really. Sometimes a story is just a story.)

“There's nothing wrong with being a little more self-sustaining and a little less consumer oriented. Few of us could do what Mr. Suelo has done, but I think his goal has some admirable qualities,” wrote one reader.

But another reader wrote: “Call it what you will but until he stops scrounging through societies leavings and accepting its charity he hasn't dropped out of anything. He's sponging, pure and simple.”

Now, some people would call this person homeless, or a bum, or something else, but is it really important to have cash for living? He seems happy, and has been able to blog about his experience by posting it from a local public library.

This topic has been around, but just a few questions:

1. Who pays for the public land he lives on?
2 Who pays for the droppings that are there for the takign?
3. Who pays for the library and its computer?

Nothing is free. If he went and bought 1500 acres and decided to 'live off the land' then he might merit admiration. As it is he is just a different variety of leech.

Nothing is free. If he went and bought 1500 acres and decided to 'live off the land' then he might merit admiration. As it is he is just a different variety of leech.

The public land he lives on is available to all of us. You could even go out there and live if you wanted, because it belongs to the nation as a whole.

Who pays for the droppings that are there for the taking? Not a fair question, because when the people throw it away, you could actually consider that charity, because they don't care what happens to it after they throw it out.

As far as the library and the computer? There you may have a point, but according to calculations, this guys drain on the country is less than 10 bucks a year. I give more money out than that in a month to people who are homeless and ask.

No, I don't think he's a leech, because he contributes back to society by posting his experiences and how he feels about the way things are going. In a spiritual sense, he does sort of give back, just not in a material way.

The public land he lives on is available to all of us. You could even go out there and live if you wanted, because it belongs to the nation as a whole.

Who pays for the droppings that are there for the taking? Not a fair question, because when the people throw it away, you could actually consider that charity, because they don't care what happens to it after they throw it out.

As far as the library and the computer? There you may have a point, but according to calculations, this guys drain on the country is less than 10 bucks a year. I give more money out than that in a month to people who are homeless and ask.

No, I don't think he's a leech, because he contributes back to society by posting his experiences and how he feels about the way things are going. In a spiritual sense, he does sort of give back, just not in a material way.

There is maintenance expense for all public parks: rangers, trash pick up, safety barriers in some cases. While we are free to use public land we could not ALL go live on public land. And it is likely not even legal for him to do so. We no longer allow 'squatters.' The Homestead Act has expired. This is just another level of living off the tax paying public.

Last edited:

Rec on all points, but didn't the gooberment probably already put the land up as collateral on all that Chinese debt they can't pay back anyways? So really he's just existing on land that belongs to China.

Would he mind if 50 other people wanted to move into the cave he is currently using?
That question wasn't asked when they talked to him

Would he mind if 50 other people wanted to move into the cave he is currently using?

Good question.

Not to mention the fish taken without a fishing license, the deer without a hunting license, the frogs without....er...well, okay, he can probably eat all the frogs he wants on public land.

Still, I don't think that the alleged 'public' land is available to us all. Just try to do something on that land and find out just how 'available' it really is.

Not to mention the fish taken without a fishing license, the deer without a hunting license, the frogs without....er...well, okay, he can probably eat all the frogs he wants on public land.

Still, I don't think that the alleged 'public' land is available to us all. Just try to do something on that land and find out just how 'available' it really is.

Yeah, I had forotten the licensing issues. Good catch.

so who's gonna pay for his health care when he gets sick?
isn't that your argument for the mandate etc.?

No, I don't think he's a leech, because he contributes back to society by posting his experiences and how he feels about the way things are going. In a spiritual sense, he does sort of give back, just not in a material way

oh for Christ sakes....:rolleyes: see Q above. you gonna pay?

so who's gonna pay for his health care when he gets sick?
isn't that your argument for the mandate etc.?

No, I don't think he's a leech, because he contributes back to society by posting his experiences and how he feels about the way things are going. In a spiritual sense, he does sort of give back, just not in a material way

oh for Christ sakes....:rolleyes: see Q above. you gonna pay?

Better yet, what's he gonna do when Obama says everyone has to have health insurance to the tune of $4K/year?

There 's always a renaissance man. Always. Except he usually isn't. Like this one. Just some nut with a groupie.

He's just another homeless person who for one reason or another failed to make it in the real world and chooses to live an alternative lifestyle without the burden of responsibility while blogging/whining about it for free.

Forum List

Back