No Intellectuals allowed!!!!

R

rdean

During the presidential campaign, Bay Buchanan, sister of Pat Buchanan, a regular visitor to Anderson Cooper’s show, was asked what the Republican intellectuals thought of Sarah Palin.

I’m guessing, but I believe he was referring to people such as Charles Krauthammer, Kathleen Parker, Michael Smerconish, Christopher Buckley and the like.

Bay Buchanan said Republicans didn’t care what intellectuals thought of Sarah Palin because they didn’t represent the Republican Party. Anderson looked very surprised and asked, “Are you saying the Republican Party doesn’t want “intellectuals”?”

Bay said that was absolutely correct. Intellectuals do NOT represent the base of the Republican Party and they were not welcome.

First, the definition of “intellectual”:

•of or associated with or requiring the use of the mind; "intellectual problems"; "the triumph of the rational over the animal side of man"

•appealing to or using the intellect; "satire is an intellectual weapon"; "intellectual workers engaged in creative literary or artistic or scientific labor"; "has tremendous intellectual sympathy for oppressed people"; "coldly intellectual"; "sort of the intellectual type"; "intellectual ..

•a person who uses the mind creatively

•cerebral: involving intelligence rather than emotions or instinct; "a cerebral approach to the problem"; "cerebral drama"

I feel confident that based on these definitions of “intellectual”, Bay was using a definition that was “different”.

So the question I have is, “How do Republicans define “intellectual” and why aren’t they wanted?”

So the question I have is, “How do Republicans define “intellectual” and why aren’t they wanted?”

Because stupid people outnumber the intellectuals. Intellectuals are bad. They are elitists. They are professionals who went to school to be doctors and lawyers and CPAs. They hang around with those scientist guys.

bad bad bad............

Urban Dictionary has the answer! Here are a few definitions:

Intellectual

• Someone who has found something more interesting than sex and alcohol.
  • A person with a creative mind who studies and reflects and thinks himself out of a basic knowedge of who he really is.
  • Word that people who have no good looks associate themselves with in order to have some self-worth.
  • A person whose education surpasses their intelligence.
  • Someone who thinks they are better than the "common people".

Trying getting that past William F. Buckley or George Will. (I don't consider Krauthammer intellectual at all - but I'll accept that "intellectual" is a subjective term.)

Krauthammer is just majorly grumpy. Can't blame him, but can't agree with him.

Intellectual

• A person with a creative mind who studies and reflects and thinks himself out of a basic knowedge of who he really is.
  • Word that people who have no good looks associate themselves with in order to have some self-worth.

You only quoted. Are you saying that "intellectual" is something not worth aspiring too?

Personally, I've always equated "intellectual" with "intelligent" and maybe that isn't always fair. I think there are those who don the mantle of "intellectual" without much intelligence to back it up. (And I guess that phenomena can be attributed to anyone you disagree with).

But I've always thought intelligence is a very good thing.

the reality of the liberal "intellectual" =
ward-churchill.jpg

An intellectual is a lazy fuck who has no real world experience, no basic understanding of how an economy works, no appreciation for American history and would get mugged on a NYC Subway right in front of a policeman

An intellectual is a lazy fuck who has no real world experience, no basic understanding of how an economy works, no appreciation for American history and would get mugged on a NYC Subway right in front of a policeman

I dunno........a lot of poli-sci majors have history minors........:lol:

Intellectual

You only quoted. Are you saying that "intellectual" is something not worth aspiring too?

Of course, but there are too many so-called 'intellectuals' that have given the word a bad name. It's like the word 'liberal'. It used to mean people who believe in Liberty, but that definition has clearly been corrupted in America. Same with 'conservative'.

The Republican Party used to be THE party of the highbrows. Truly it was!

After losing election after election to the Dems they RNC finally figured it out.

Now both parties appeal mostly to people's prejudices and conceits because they know those emotional issues, rather than the boring details of highly complex problems and their solutions, are what motivates people to vote.

One can easily see by the emotionalism on this board, what the average voter understands.. and facts and complex details AREN'T IT.

Look how quickly the LIE that the Obama health plan was going to kill the old took hold of many anti-Obamans.

Now that was a lie. It was never anything but a lie, but it appealed to the emotional fears and conceits and prejudices of very stupid people.

And very stupid people SO ounumber people capable of the complex and nuanced thinking it takes to understand a problem so vast as the HC crises.

Again, as is so evident by simply reading the comments found on this board.

The old adage "Sell the sizzle not the steak" is exactly how our poltical dialogues are framed now, folks.

Every issue, however complex, is reduced to something that even nearly retarded people can THINK they understand.

It's basically RETAIL politics.

Last edited:

I agree editec. Bill Buckley was an icon. Now all of a sudden you have to be a hillbilly to be a Republican...........sheesh!!!

After losing election after election to the Dems they RNC finally figured it out.

Now both parties appeal mostly to people's prejudices and conceits because they know those emotional issues, rather than the boring details of highly complex problems and their solutions, are what motivates people to vote.

One can easily see by the emotionalism on this board, what the average voter understands.. and facts and complex details AREN'T IT.

Look how quickly the LIE that the Obama health plan was going to kill the old took hold of many anti-Obamans.

Now that was a lie. It was never anything but a lie, but it appealed to the emotional fears and conceits and prejudices of very stupid people.

And very stupid people SO ounumber people capable of the complex and nuanced thinking it takes to understand a problem so vast as the HC crises.

Again, as is so evident by simply reading the comments found on this board.

The old adage "Sell the sizzle not the steak" is exactly how our poltical dialogues are framed now, folks.

Every issue, however complex, is reduced to something that even nearly retarded people can THINK they understand.

It's basically RETAIL politics.

Being called "stupid" by a liberal makes me laugh. It's like the pot calling the kettle black. It's one of the things I find so humorous about liberals. They think they are so much more intelligent then anybody else and try to tell us what is good for us and what we need. Liberals are like the kid on the playground that always trys to tell the other kids what game they are going to be playing and who is going to be on each team. When they don't get their own way, they make all kinds of noise and are generally obnoxious and rude. That pretty much sums up liberals for me. Go back under your rock.:lol:

I dunno........a lot of poli-sci majors have history minors........:lol:

And a lot of them got those history minors by taking:

The History of Feminism
The History of Political Struggle in the United States
The History of Colonialism in Africa and Asia
African-American History
etc.

the reality of the liberal "intellectual" =
ward-churchill.jpg

oh god,, now he sucks! can you imagine paying the big tuition bucks just to have your kid held captive for an hour listening to his insane anti american rants.. hell you can do it for free, just send them to bullfrog's church.

if liberals are so damn smart why do they need so much taking care of? one would think an intellectual could figure out survival..

Forum List

Back