No, I'm Not a Flat Earther

Few people understand the philosophy behind Flat Earth.... those who do, know that Flat Earth is all about intellectual honesty.

The mantra of the Flat Earth Society isn't that the earth is flat, it's 'Prove to me that the Earth is round (or, more specifically, a sphere).

And, "Because my teacher told me", isn't proof.

If you believe what you're taught in school without understanding it, it's no different to superstition.

Well, I've seen the ships slowly disappear over the horizon on Lake Michigan. Also, the Greeks correctly estimated the size of the earth as a sphere during their golden age thousands of years ago.

Can't explain videos like this though (there are many).

bq-5c976a7bf033d.jpeg

If you believe what you're taught in school without understanding it, it's no different to superstition.
Hmm, not always. Science has become so specialized, that doubting or denying something simply because you dont understand it is just not always valid. How many people here understand electrical current? Probably very few. But you can bet that 100% of them believe it's not a good idea to take a bath with a toaster.

And exactly what depth of understanding does one have to have to replay a video of the spheriod earth rotating under the astronaut taking the video? None, really. And there's your proof of a spheroid earth.

Not that i don't get your point, or that of the flat earth society, because I do.

The space station rotates around the earth. Telescopes show other planets are round. Why would anyone question it?

But you can bet that 100% of them believe it's not a good idea to take a bath with a toaster.

However, if you do understand it, you'd know there are times where it's perfectly safe to bathe with that toaster.

It's not about what people believe ... if someone willfully wants to believe something without understanding it, that's a personal choice.

It's about adamantly demanding someone else accept your beliefs that you yourself don't fully understand.

Last edited:
However, if you do understand it, you'd know there are times where it's perfectly safe to bath with that toaster.

But not "if and only if", so you have not made any headway with that comment. Even someone who onows nothing about electricity would likely know to unplug the toaster.

if someone willfully wants to believe something without understanding it, that's a personal choice.
But its not necessarily faith. In fact, it usually isn't, when it comes to scientific conclusions. That is trust, based on evidence. That evidence comes in the form of the smashing succeases of scientific pursuits.

Its an interesting discussion. Yes, i believe it is important to understand the exercise of science. But, on the flipside, ww have here in america millions of people who doubt climate science, many simply because they know fuck all about it.

However, if you do understand it, you'd know there are times where it's perfectly safe to bathe with that toaster.

But not "if and only if", so you have not made any headway with that comment. Even someone who onows nothing about electricity would likely know to unplug the toaster.

if someone willfully wants to believe something without understanding it, that's a personal choice.
But its not necessarily faith. In fact, it usually isn't, when it comes to scientific conclusions. That is trust, based on evidence. That evidence comes in the form of the smashing succeases of scientific pursuits.

Its an interesting discussion. Yes, i believe it is important to understand the exercise of science. But, on the flipside, ww have here in america millions of people who doubt climate science, many simply because they know fuck all about it.

I believe it was Richard Feynman who said, "If you don't understand something, you can't teach it".

Perhaps the ignorance of the American people isn't their lack of ability to learn, it's that the subject has not been adequately explained.

I believe it was Richard Feynman who said, "If you don't understand something, you can't teach it".

Perhaps the ignorance of the American people isn't their lack of ability to learn, it's that the subject has not been adequately explained.
Yes, maybe so. But much of our scientific knowledge is "cumulative" in nature. So who has time to first prime someone with what should have been 12 years of basic education in logic, mathematics, and physics? I went to public schools, and I received this education. Who is to blame?

Yes, maybe so. But much of our scientific knowledge is "cumulative" in nature. So who has time to first prime someone with what should have been 12 years of basic education in logic, mathematics, and physics? I went to public schools, and I received this education. Who is to blame?

If, out of a sense of expediency, someone is willing to replace the scientific education with doomsayer prognostications, ad hominem, and appeals to authority then you can't blame people for rejecting it.

It's very hard to sell a new religion to people ... most have one of their own with which they're perfectly satisfied.

If, out of a sense of expediency, someone is willing to replace the scientific education with doomsayer prognostications, ad hominem, and appeals to authority then you can't blame people for rejecting it.
Sure I can. I can ask them why they would take to their quantum mechanical device, and use electromagnetic and relativity theory to proclaim their doubt in the work of scientists.

It's very hard to sell a new religion to people .
Typically,it's not hard at all to convince people to trust accepted scientific theories. You know, simce doing so doesn't require faith and is not religion . in the case of climate change, it's politics and superstition that are the opposition.

Liberals

Few people understand the philosophy behind Flat Earth.... those who do, know that Flat Earth is all about intellectual honesty.

The mantra of the Flat Earth Society isn't that the earth is flat, it's 'Prove to me that the Earth is round (or, more specifically, a sphere).

And, "Because my teacher told me", isn't proof.

YouTube is moving to censor flat earth videos. They prove your point.

The alt-right is pretty much the same way. Doesn’t matter whether they believe 10% of what they promulgate...the reactions and pushback are the goal and the demonstration of the message reall message.

Forum List

Back