No Harry Potter Satan threads?!?

Anyone ever read the story written by the woman suing her?? VERY similar!!

Yeah..the lady is suing her saying she ripped off the whole series from her. I did read a story about it and some of the similarities and they are very close.

The way of the world these days...someone makes good money and someone finds reason to sue for a piece of the pie.

Remember Stephen King was sued? I don't know if ever even went before a judge but a woman accused him of stealing her thoughts as well. She said , and this is what she really said, that he used a chopper to fly to her house, come down the chimney at night and break into her office ... he copied her stories and snuck out again, the chimney, helecopter and so on and went home and made millions off them...she was very serious about this!

I just remembered when Michael Bolton was sued by an R&B band that he had used their music but never paid them for it....they had proof but Bolton had no proof so he lost and he said afterwards....and this is what he said .....not quoted but from memory...
I dont know why they sued me...I give to the African American charities!...

He actually said that he thought they should have left him be because he donates money to blacks!!!

My mom's with those fundie nuts that think Harry Potter is evil. Fortunately, she's not so fanatic about it that she didn't read a couple. She's also ok with my sister reading them and I've seen both movies.

Well, I have never read any Harry Potter books. I think what has turned so many people off is that Harry Potter practices magic/witchcraft in his books (again, this is based on hearsay - I haven't read the books), and the Bible is very clear that practicing witchcraft is not tolerated by God. So having one's kids read a book where the hero practices witchcraft/magic is, more or less, condoning the practice of witchcraft/magic. Not really the kind of stuff you want your kid to learn, especially if you are trying to raise him/her with a strong Christian faith.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
Well, I have never read any Harry Potter books. I think what has turned so many people off is that Harry Potter practices magic/witchcraft in his books (again, this is based on hearsay - I haven't read the books), and the Bible is very clear that practicing witchcraft is not tolerated by God. So having one's kids read a book where the hero practices witchcraft/magic is, more or less, condoning the practice of witchcraft/magic. Not really the kind of stuff you want your kid to learn, especially if you are trying to raise him/her with a strong Christian faith.

I will add to this that a child's mind is of such a fragile and unknowledgable state, that a saved parent saves and sanctifies the child. As such, ANY author producing works illustrating witchcraft in a positive light, and marketing it to kids is in violation of some of the heftiest scriptural "don'ts" there are.
Matthew chapter 18
1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.
6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
7 Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!

8 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.
9 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.
10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

Sorry NewGuy... I understand the historical significance of the KJV, but by today's standards, it is somewhat incomprehensible. Which is why I tend to use the NIV/NASB for my own use, which have an 8th grade reading equivalent and 12th grade reading equivalent, respectively.

Sorry NewGuy... I understand the historical significance of the KJV, but by today's standards, it is somewhat incomprehensible. Which is why I tend to use the NIV/NASB for my own use, which have an 8th grade reading equivalent and 12th grade reading equivalent, respectively.

Understood. No apology necessary.

I tend to think that people need to reach just a little farther than what they THINK they are capable of. I should have included the link.

Thanks for doing that.

Feel free to do so any time.
:beer:

I have found that site (http://www.biblegateway.com/) to be a great Bible search engine. About 15 translations, from the KJV to the Message and everything in between, searchable by passage and keyword. Try it sometime.

I have used it in the past.

I started using an NIV, then switched to NKJ, now use an AV1611 exclusively.

The link DOES put up a good research point, though.

The thing to remember, is that there is only ONE (1) legal, public domain version in existence. That is the KJ. -Which legally means that the others are copyrighted.

Originally posted by NewGuy
I have used it in the past.

I started using an NIV, then switched to NKJ, now use an AV1611 exclusively.

The link DOES put up a good research point, though.

The thing to remember, is that there is only ONE (1) legal, public domain version in existence. That is the KJ. -Which legally means that the others are copyrighted.

Quite true. But most of them allow you to quote, within reason, and just use the acronym at the end. But if you link to the web apge, as I did earlier in the thread, the version is clearly given.

Forum List

Back